Greatest Play in UConn WBB History? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Greatest Play in UConn WBB History?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2002 Championship Game, UConn with the lead but the outcome still undecided. The play itself wasn't what made you shake your head, it was the set up. Hall of Fame coach (now consensus best of all time) tells his four senior All-Americans (all drafted in the top 6 of the WNBA draft that year) to clear out half the court to give his sophomore room to operate. Taurasi creates the shot, makes it, gets the and-one, AND fouls out Stacey Dales. I'm shaking my head as I type,

About the 3:30 mark of this video.

Reaction Score
This thread and the postings are a perfect example of why this is the best WCBB blog site. Of course the best WCBB program should have the best site !!!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I would have to go with "Bird at the Buzzer." She had already hit a half-court shot at the first buzzer, it was against a big-time opponent and rival in a championship game situation, a big-time player had gotten hurt earlier in the game--take it down the court and will it into the basket.

Rizzotti is a close second. Probably the most historically significant play in UCONN history.

DT's three to send it to OT against TN. DT making the play against OK in 2002. Wilnett (sp?) Crockett backing her man down and converting the and-1 against TN in ... 2004? Barbara Turner making the steal to seal it in 2003.

But I have a fond place in my heart for the rebound and full-court sprint by Moriah against USC this year. That was a jaw-dropper.

Reaction Score
Some forgotten clutchiness was Taurasi vs Texas in the Final Four. She willed that win when we were down 6 with 3 minutes left. You could call either the long three to give us the lead or the block to seal it at the buzzer as the big play.

I'd still vote Rizzotti, but wanted to make sure DT v UT was on the ballot.

Reaction Score
If had to pick one play it would be DT overhead tip of a pass from Maria Conlon to Jessica Moore on the baseline for a layup. The signature of UCONN basketball- timing and percision passing with Swag!

While I agree that this pass was probably the most amazing pass of all time, it was not an assist as Jess Moore actually missed :(

Reaction Score
For me the best UConn play that I saw live was the Maya steal in the end of the game against DePaul and calling a time out right after she stole the ball. All the DePaul player had to do is continue dribbling with the left hand on the fast break and DePaul would have won that game but she moved the ball to her right hand and Maya needed that split of a second to steal the ball. Amazing!!!
The best play I saw on TV was DT's half court basket against TN. My screaming in front of the TV after that basket shook the building :)

Reaction Score
While I agree that this pass was probably the most amazing pass of all time, it was not an assist as Jess Moore actually missed :(
Oh man. I was there, and it happened right in front of me, but had never seen the replay (not that I needed it - I have several hundred brain cells dedicated to the vivid memory of that "Are you kidding me?" moment). If only JMo would have made the shot that would be one for the ages.

Reaction Score
Moore sprints the length of the court, catches the ball handler from behind, steals the ball

Ketia goes length of court. View attachment 10076

Both of these immediately came to mind !
The first was one of the greatest examples of athleticism plus
an incredible desire to win that I have seen.

The second was enhanced by the fact that, during the TO, Geno planned for his fastest guard
to drive the length of the court in (minus) 4 seconds and that is what was executed.

Reaction Score
Two who weren't stars, final four 2003. 1) Willnett Crockett's offensive rebound against a big Texas team. 2) Ann Strother's three in the finals with Tennessee. We don't win without these plays at the crucial moment.

Reaction Score
Sue Bird game winning shot vs ND in 2001 BE Final, or Diana hitting a halfcourt shot against TN. Anything Dee did, really.
DT also hit a half-court, halftime buzzer beater at Jimmy V against Duke in Raleigh.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Diana had a flar for the dramatic at the most critical times.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
If had to pick one play it would be DT overhead tip of a pass from Maria Conlon to Jessica Moore on the baseline for a layup. The signature of UCONN basketball- timing and percision passing with Swag!

Now I gotta go watch that game.

Reaction Score
Another great play: the tipoff of the 2000 NC game. That play sealed everything, as the game was over from there...

Refresh my memory please....

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Wonkster

And the most amazing part is that DT travelled back in time to make yet another amazing shot!
If it would've resulted in a UConn win... she would've found a way to do it LOL

Reaction Score
My own preference for great plays include the many that involved a half dozen one touch passes going end to end in which the ball never touched the floor and ended with an easy layup. There's been a lot of posts about MVP's and AA's. Most of the measuring tools used to determine these awards are individual stats. What I enjoy most about watching UConn play is the interaction among the players. To me there is nothing better than when they are fully focussed and are anticipating each other as if they are experiencing a "Vulcan mind meld".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Oh man. I was there, and it happened right in front of me, but had never seen the replay (not that I needed it - I have several hundred brain cells dedicated to the vivid memory of that "Are you kidding me?" moment). If only JMo would have made the shot that would be one for the ages.
Call me very jealous of you for having been there. Obviously I did not dedicate as many brain cell to the memory as you did. Did JMo get fould or did she just miss the layup?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Two who weren't stars, final four 2003. 1) Willnett Crockett's offensive rebound against a big Texas team. 2) Ann Strother's three in the finals with Tennessee. We don't win without these plays at the crucial moment.

One of the biggest shots ever had to be Diana's 3 from the top of the key late in the 2003 semifinal against Texas in 2003. UConn had been down by as many as 9 and Diana's 3 put UConn ahead by 2 late in the game. Diana's shot came after Ann missed a FT and Wilnett grabbed the rebound. Geno has said that the 2003 team had no business winning that game against Texas.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
As I've said about other posts, trying the select "the best of the best" of one category or another -

ain't this a lovely problem to have?:D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can't remember the exact play but this past season I believe 3 different UCONN players dove on the floor or out of bounds to combine and save a possession in a game they were up significantly. One poster commented that that play should be played for every recruit because it defined the UCONN way- Max effort at all times,regardless of score! Does anyone remember the game or the play? I was going to say the play resulted in KML splashing a 3- like that would really narrow it down for anyone!

Reaction Score
I can't remember the exact play but this past season I believe 3 different UCONN players dove on the floor or out of bounds to combine and save a possession in a game they were up significantly. One poster commented that that play should be played for every recruit because it defined the UCONN way- Max effort at all times,regardless of score! Does anyone remember the game or the play? I was going to say the play resulted in KML splashing a 3- like that would really narrow it down for anyone!
Ask and ye shall receive.:p
AAC Tournament - Semifinals, UConn vs. East Carolina:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member