Greatest Play in UConn WBB History? | The Boneyard

Greatest Play in UConn WBB History?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been asked and answered already. I don't have any suggestions for criteria those who answer should use, just their own judgement, I guess.

Q. What do you consider the greatest single play? What play made your jaw drop farthest and longest?

My answer (until someone convinces me otherwise) is ... end of the DePaul game (seconds left), UConn trails (pretty sure a winning streak was on the line), DePaul gains control of the ball (steal? rebound? not sure and it doesn't matter) and is fast breaking the other way. For all intents and purposes, the game is lost ... until ... Maya Moore sprints the length of the court, catches the ball handler from behind, steals the ball (not enough time left to foul), feeds basketball's ballerina Ketia Swanier who takes it back the other way and hits the game winner. (Technically, that could be considered two plays I suppose.)

What say you? (Wish I had a video of that play, anybody know where I can find one?)

[Edit] UConn missed a foul shot, DePaul rebounded, Maya steal, calls timeout, then Ketia goes length of court. So I guess it was TWO plays ... but ... using my judgement, I call one play, and that's still my answer. Found the replay ...
upload_2015-7-28_7-56-13.png

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been asked and answered already. I don't have any suggestions for criteria those who answer should use, just their own judgement, I guess.

Q. What do you consider the greatest single play? What play made your jaw drop farthest and longest?

My answer (until someone convinces me otherwise) is ... end of the DePaul game (seconds left), UConn trails (pretty sure a winning streak was on the line), DePaul gains control of the ball (steal? rebound? not sure and it doesn't matter) and is fast breaking the other way. For all intents and purposes, the game is lost ... until ... Maya Moore sprints the length of the court, catches the ball handler from behind, steals the ball (not enough time left to foul), feeds basketball's ballerina Ketia Swanier who takes it back the other way and hits the game winner. (Technically, that could be considered two plays I suppose.)

What say you? (Wish I had a video of that play, anybody know where I can find one?)

Reaction Score

Thanks, Biff, just found it myself and discovered there was a timeout involved, so it really was two plays ... but ... using the criteria, i.e., my judgement, I call one play. :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Sue Bird game winning shot vs ND in 2001 BE Final, or Diana hitting a halfcourt shot against TN. Anything Dee did, really.

Before I opened this thread (having only read the title), I thought about Diana's rapid-fire behind the back pass in the 2004 regional finals. It's funny: I watched LeBron James make this incredible pass in the NBA finals this year, and I immediately thought of Diana.

Sue, of course, hit on both buzzers in the 2001 BET championship game. The second half buzzer-beater won the game, but the shot at the end of the first was more impressive, arguably.

In recent memory? The Stewie Swat against Rutgers in the AAC semis. And the "Moriah Jefferson just dusted everybody!" dribble drive against South Carolina this past season.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Has to be Jen Rizzotti's full court drive against Tennessee in the 1995 NC game where she broke away from almost everyone, put a great move on Marciniak and laid in the go ahead bucket that gave us the lead for good with about 2 minutes left. That play doesn't happen, we maybe don't win, and possibly many of the great hs players who were enchanted by that team don't come to Storrs. Kind of mind-blowing to think that was 20 years ago and that a whole younger generation of BYrs may have no memory of it.

Reaction Score
I love blocked shots and when Breanna ran 3/4 court to block a shot when UCONN was up huge is my favorite. It epitomizes the UCONN attitude of play every play the best you can. I don't remember the opponent but most of you will remember the play.

Reaction Score
Has to be Jen Rizzotti's full court drive against Tennessee in the 1995 NC game where she broke away from almost everyone, put a great move on Marciniak and laid in the go ahead bucket that gave us the lead for good with about 2 minutes left. That play doesn't happen, we maybe don't win, and possibly many of the great hs players who were enchanted by that team don't come to Storrs. Kind of mind-blowing to think that was 20 years ago and that a whole younger generation of BYrs may have no memory of it.

Marciniak went for the steal but Rizzotti blew right by her for the lay up. It was incredible. Talk about sticking a fork in your opponent. And yes it is mind blowing that this happened 20 years ago.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
That would be the play I would select, without that single play there is no NC in 1995 and no legacy to follow. UConn returns to relative obscurity.

Reaction Score
The Rizzotti play starts at 4:30 here. I remember its being great at the time-- and certainly momentum-changing, but I've always thought that the Ketia Swanier play (DePaul, above) was even better.

LINK

Reaction Score

[Edit] UConn missed a foul shot, DePaul rebounded, Maya steal, calls timeout, then Ketia goes length of court. So I guess it was TWO plays ... but ... using my judgement, I call one play, and that's still my answer. Found the replay ... View attachment 10076
You stole my thunder!! It was not a "jaw dropping" play because with Uconn's teams we had become accustomed to great plays to save a lost game. But this is among the best (from Uconn Fans point of view). The presence of mind of two locked in players Maya and Swanier it took both to win.

Reaction Score
Before I opened this thread (having only read the title), I thought about Diana's rapid-fire behind the back pass in the 2004 regional finals. It's funny: I watched LeBron James make this incredible pass in the NBA finals this year, and I immediately thought of Diana.

Sue, of course, hit on both buzzers in the 2001 BET championship game. The second half buzzer-beater won the game, but the shot at the end of the first was more impressive, arguably.

In recent memory? The Stewie Swat against Rutgers in the AAC semis. And the "Moriah Jefferson just dusted everybody!" dribble drive against South Carolina this past season.
Alexgct----Great memories, and great plays. I liked the Swanier/Maya play but the jaw dropping play was DT back swatting pass--that was jaw dropping I forgot that one, but it was pure DT. I loved the Sue Bird half time long shot and the winning the BE (against ND) full court drive and making the winning basket. That was thrilling probably more because it was against ND.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If had to pick one play it would be DT overhead tip of a pass from Maria Conlon to Jessica Moore on the baseline for a layup. The signature of UCONN basketball- timing and percision passing with Swag!

Reaction Score
Diana made so many great passes in her career - a couple that I remember (but
don't have clips of) were 3/4 court passes from the hip, right on the money to a
streaking Sue Bird who laid them in without the ball ever touching the floor.
Just gorgeous jaw droppers for sure.

Reaction Score
I love blocked shots and when Breanna ran 3/4 court to block a shot when UCONN was up huge is my favorite. It epitomizes the UCONN attitude of play every play the best you can. I don't remember the opponent but most of you will remember the play.

This was the AAC semi-final game against Rutgers at Mohigan Sun 2014.

Reaction Score
UConn vs Texas, 1962 or 63 NCAA semifinal, game tight and Diana takes a pass in the corner and UT defender closes on her. Dee could not shoot from where she was standing because the backboard was blocking the path of her shot. She switches ball to her left hand to give her an unobstructed shot and puts it in from 23 feet.

Entire audience dumbfounded. The announcer called it a Larry Bird shot.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have to go with that incredible trey at the buzzer vs. Tennessee that tied the game at 54. That was the same game in which she nailed the 60-footer at halftime. And of course UConn won in OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom