Great Read - Maya on Visibility | The Boneyard

Great Read - Maya on Visibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
a mentor to help her with her visibility

th

Reaction Score
Well written and Inspiring. Overcoming the negative stereotypes associated with women is a step-by-step process. Glad to see the W is doing it's part.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya is extremely admirable in so many ways!

The visibility drop after being drafted was partly because of where she played in college. HuskyNation and the media attention that UConn gets are not typical of WCBB.

I can promise that Maya will get attention when the Lynx visit the Mystics. There will be 3 gentlemen--ok, 2 gentlemen and myself--sitting directly behind Coach Reeve applauding every move that Maya makes. Stef and Bria will get some love as well. Looking forward to seeing you in person again, Maya. Istanbul was a long time ago.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Great Article.. thanks!

stories and boxscores in the local newpapers is another way of promoting the game. The cities with the teams in them are fine BUT what about all the other cities?

the TV contract or lack there of SUCKS, why?

Love that she lived like a rockstar as a Husky but sad its not the same as a pro

Reaction Score
Maya will always be one of my favorite UCONN Players. She could do things on a basketball court that other players could only dream of doing.

Reaction Score
I was at the game several years ago at MSG when UCONN won its 88th straight. The team entered the stands during the first game and the crowd cheered loudly. It wasn't long before they were surrounded by autograph seekers. I remember Maya being photographed with a child sitting on her lap. It wasn't long before CD ushered them all out. Too much attention (and distraction) as far as I could tell. Maya will always be one of my favorites. I don't think any player has represented UCONN and the WNBA better than she has and I do believe that she will ultimately go down in women's basketball history as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, player ever. Oh I like Taurasi too, but we're all entitled to our opinions.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Maya's Georgia AAU coach was being interviewd about Diamond DeShields on an old Pat Summerall Sunday morning TV show about HS athletes.
Her coach was asked if or how DD was compared to Maya. The coach, collected herself and chose her words carefully- "Diamond is gifted athletically and has similar skills that Maya had. But there will never be another Maya Moore".

D is D!!!! It's like comparing Secretariat to Ruffian. Two different styles of pure greatness- IMO!!!! Like Wooden vs Aueiemma!!!! :). Totally different packaging!

Reaction Score
A terrific article, thanks for posting. I also agree with Geno-ista that you can't really compare D and Maya, I would also include Sue in that regard. All of the UCONN greats are beyond compare because all have unique individual skills and personalities that no one can match. I love em all.

Reaction Score
I read the article and all I can say is WOW! What a woman! I would love to see some corporation take her suggestion as a national marketing campaign.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was at the game several years ago at MSG when UCONN won its 88th straight. The team entered the stands during the first game and the crowd cheered loudly. It wasn't long before they were surrounded by autograph seekers. I remember Maya being photographed with a child sitting on her lap. It wasn't long before CD ushered them all out. Too much attention (and distraction) as far as I could tell. Maya will always be one of my favorites. I don't think any player has represented UCONN and the WNBA better than she has and I do believe that she will ultimately go down in women's basketball history as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, player ever. Oh I like Taurasi too, but we're all entitled to our opinions.

I was going to post a comment that reflected my take on Maya. You beat me to the punch. Your post said everything I was going to say. Maya has been and continues to be an excellent ambassador for women's college and professional basketball. What better role model for young female basketball players to aspire to be like, than Maya? She was a very good student, a McDonald's high school all American, a college all-American, a two time WNBA champion, and a WNBA MVP. Maya has been a great teammate at every stop along the way. Maya has ALWAYS exuded class and dignity on and off the court. She has always been an eager participant in community relations / affairs. I don't recall her ever being involved in any incidents or controversy (other than the alleged recruiting violation levied by Pat Summitt and Tennessee which) at UConn. Maya is the reason I began to watch the WNBA. I wanted to continue to follow her. I've been a fan ever since.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The first time I saw Maya on live TV, I was awestruck and chuckled every time she did something spectacular, which was frequently. She reminded me of Holdsclaw, only better. The last time I saw Maya in person, she did exactly what she did at UConn--she got her team an early lead that made the game much easier. The opponent: The Spanish national team. The stage: The FIBA world cup gold medal game. The results: Gold medal and MOP trophy. Maya Moore at the pinnacle.

I'm looking forward to seeing Miss Maya, the Invincible Queen, in D.C. on Wednesday. The word "special" is inadequate to describe her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom