Grantland trolling UCONN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Grantland trolling UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His article could basically be summarized as, "I liked UConn before it was mainstream."

Good for you, UConn Hipster.

How did jacko burn his tongue?

He ate pizza before it was cool. :)

Reaction Score
As a personal diatribe against all things good and beautiful, (Huskies and JC), this effort certainly cannot be categorized as journalism! Who does support this clown??

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
LOL, great analysis of why UConn won't win! For some reason people don't realize that Grantland is Bleacher Report but with better writers.

Reaction Score
Makes no sense. UConn sold out the HCC all the time even before JC got there.
I beg to differ on that one. I remember getting courtside in HCC watching Cliff Robinson led Uconn with less that 10k in the stands

Reaction Score
I beg to differ on that one. I remember getting courtside in HCC watching Cliff Robinson led Uconn with less that 10k in the stands

On this issue, people seem to have two distinctly different experiences. I suppose it depends on the opponent. I was only in my teens, but I'd go to HCC between 1982-1986 all the time, and the place was always packed and jumping. Then again, I only went to games against the top of the BE, StJ, Syracuse, G'twon and Nova. The place was incredibly loud and rockin'. And UConn won more than a few of those games.

Reaction Score
If you dislike Uconn so much well that's your right but man get the facts right. This idiot is so f##ked up in his factual account it's totally laughable. Anyway I keep getting when I post that I'm a new member , not so I'm an old and wise member and I noticed I've only got 10 pts in my 25 messages .Come on guys give it up give me some points. Yes if I knew more and posted more intelligent messages and had some inside scoop I'd probably get more points but isn't this pleading in and of itself worth a freaking pt. or 2. Of course I say this in jest and I'm sitting here with a massive hangover from last night. Go huskies! & screw Grantland.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Big East games sold out before Perno ran the program into a ditch.

Reaction Score
does Simmons realize that without Calhoun the Celtics would still be trying to win their first championship since 86

Reaction Score
What's great is that the Syracuse board has his same thread even though their piece is supposed to be vastly different.

Reaction Score
My buddy just started a blog, and since my credentials match up almost identically to Jack-O's (except for the fact that I watch college basketball) I figured I'd try and give it the FireJoeMorgan.com point counter-point treatment. I don't think I quite did justice to its bottomless insolence, but it was fun to vent anyway. If you want to check it out its: http://rantingesteban.com/2011/10/2...end-write-some-crap-about-college-basketball/

Good read, funny. Someone needs to tweet this link to Jack-o and Simmons.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Simmons and point/counterpoint, this guy obliterates Simmons on the NBA lockout:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/10/20/2502297/nba-lockout-2011-bill-simmons-hook

That's awesome. Like many, I have a love-hate relationship with Simmons. I think he's funny, and I think he's a knowledgeable sports fan. I've enjoyed reading more of his work than I've openly loathed, (though much of that is due to the fact that if I get to the end of the first paragraph and it seems too overly Boston-y--or particularly overly Patriot-y--I stop reading).

The thing I find most infuriating about him (and in turn Jack-O's UConn piece, though thats certainly a bit of an aberration), is that he's essentially a sports talk radio caller without a host to hang up on him. Sometimes it's fun listening to him riff, but sometimes he gets away with espousing ideas that are just ill-conceived and untrue, and it's frustrating that there aren't more people to take him immediately to task. Reading stuff like this is great in that sense.

Reaction Score
I was bored at work and emailed Espn with my disappointment in them for posting this article. I know they don't care about my opinion but I let them know I thought it was an article based on hate and stuff others have mentioned and got this response:
Dear Cody,

Thank you for contacting ESPN.

Content on Grantland.com is distinct from ESPN.com and will occasionally touch on mature subjects. The site will be careful to notify readers to ensure they are aware of its mature content.

Sincerely,

Nicholas
ESPN Viewer Response

Mature subjects? This isn't about a mature subject, it's about a writer at a credited sports site bashing a team with his own agenda.

Reaction Score
May 14, 1986

Calhoun held his introductory press conference at UConn and talked about turning UConn from a Big East cellar-dweller into a national player:

"It's doable."

Sorta the way I feel about our chances this season.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
is that he's essentially a sports talk radio caller without a host to hang up on him.

I've enjoyed Simmons in the past ... and loved his Book of Basketball ... but this is a fantastic way to describe him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom