Graduate Transfer being 'blackballed'? | The Boneyard

Graduate Transfer being 'blackballed'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
'Vernon Adams will remain on scholarship at Eastern Washington while he finishes his degree but will not be permitted to work out with the team or use the school's athletic facilities to train leading up to his eventual transfer to Oregon, Eagles coach Beau Baldwin told 700 ESPN in Spokane, Washington.
Adams was aware those would be the circumstances, Baldwin said, before ultimately choosing the Ducks, who host Eastern Washington in the season opener for both teams Sept. 5.
Expectations are already running high at Oregon for Vernon Adams, a quarterback who has drawn comparisons to Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. Story
"For the next four months, he can't prep down there with them and he certainly can't be in our weight room or throwing with our guys ... and I talked to him about that," Baldwin said. "I go, 'What's your plan for the next four months? How are you going to prepare for your senior year? I love you to death, but one, you're moving on, and two, you're moving on to who we're playing in Week 1.'"

http://espn.go.com/college-football...cats-says-fcs-programs-cannot-farm-system-fbs

http://espn.go.com/college-football...n-washington-prior-oregon-transfer-coach-says

Would the coach feel this way if the athlete was transferring to UConn or is it only due to who they are playing week 1?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The action is fine. He should probably pipe down at some point though.

Reaction Score
I would have done the same thing as this coach.

As-you-make-your-bed__quotes-by-Romanian-Proverb-46-250x250.png

Reaction Score
I think the coach is right in this case, but he is also complaining about the transfer rule, in general. It's doubtful that this kid is transferring to Oregon because he graduated and wants to get a Masters in something not offered at EWU. It would be interesting to see the percentage of these type of transfers that actually get that Masters degree.

In order to take advantage of this rule, I believe the kid has to graduate and still have eligibility. That typically means he graduated in 3 years or 4 years with a redshirt. I'm waiting for the first school to be accused of tampering with course offerings to stop a kid from graduating early. Kind of the anti-UNC.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
If Boyle announced he was transferring to Nova would we want him using our facilities to train?

If a player transferred anywhere they shouldn't be using the facilities.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they have a campus facility he can use to lift, and good luck stopping his friends and former teammates from throwing with him. It is petty and this guy is a jackass. If Oregon offered him their head coaching position he would be gone in a nano-second. Would Eastern Washington suspend his phone and e-mail access prior to his last day...probably not. They may insist he only use them for EWU related business, but I doubt they would shut him out.

These hypocrites get all self-righteous when a player leaves them...but let a better job opportunity come along....this bitch would disappear faster than Kaiser Soze.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they have a campus facility he can use to lift, and good luck stopping his friends and former teammates from throwing with him. It is petty and this guy is a jackass. If Oregon offered him their head coaching position he would be gone in a nano-second. Would Eastern Washington suspend his phone and e-mail access prior to his last day...probably not. They may insist he only use them for EWU related business, but I doubt they would shut him out.

These hypocrites get all self-righteous when a player leaves them...but let a better job opportunity come along....this bitch would disappear faster than Kaiser Soze.

I don't agree with your post entirely but I "liked" it solely for the last line.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He's not being black balled. It's not like he announced his intent to transfer, dropped out of school, and no other institution will admit him. He is no longer a part of the EWU football program and as a result, does not get the privilege of using the football programs' facilities.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with the coach. But I am guessing the day that coach moves on from EWU,. he will not penalize himself for 4 months. My guess is he will begin preparing for his next gig 4 minutes after he announces he is leaving. And that is reason #1 why he should just STFU

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with the coach. But I am guessing the day that coach moves on from EWU,. he will not penalize himself for 4 months. My guess is he will begin preparing for his next gig 4 minutes after he announces he is leaving. And that is reason #1 why he should just STFU

He will also probably be thrown out of the building 4 minutes after he announces he is leaving. So, apples and oranges.

The kid gets to keep his scholly, get his degree, enjoy all of the benefits of the EWU campus OTHER than for the football training facilities, which are used by a team which HE decided to walk away from, and the coach is an %^#hole? I'm not saying I would have banned the kid, but I can't really fault him for doing so.

Reaction Score
I said I dont disagree with the coach. But the double standard between coach and player is something I oppose - my guess is the coach gets paid just a few sheckels more than the EWU scholly, and will likely make a few more at next gig. Again, I wouldn't let the kid use the facilities, but I wouldn't publicly ostracize him either. So while i didn't call him an ; yes, he is one for being the smaller person in this public exchange.

Reaction Score
gioff23 said:
I said I dont disagree with the coach. But the double standard between coach and player is something I oppose - my guess is the coach gets paid just a few sheckels more than the EWU scholly, and will likely make a few more at next gig. Again, I wouldn't let the kid use the facilities, but I wouldn't publicly ostracize him either. So while i didn't call him an ; yes, he is one for being the smaller person in this public exchange.

You didn't disagree but then said STFU. I got confused.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

True but he probably wouldn't be allowed to use his old office to recruit for his new school. It is what it is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The kid and Oregon get their chance to get even. When they are up 50-10 in the third quarter they have the choice to drop 70 or take the high road.

Reaction Score
True but he probably wouldn't be allowed to use his old office to recruit for his new school. It is what it is.

I have resigned from 4 colleges/universities not one stopped my office, e-mail, or phone privileges prior to my last day. In two cases my access extended beyond my departure.

This is only a story because a jilted coach made it one.

Reaction Score
MilliniumPrince said:
I have resigned from 4 colleges/universities not one stopped my office, e-mail, or phone privileges prior to my last day. In two cases my access extended beyond my departure. This is only a story because a jilted coach made it one.

Depends on the job.

Reaction Score
I can not imagine any 5th year senior transfer continues to work out with old team or has access to any football facilities once they announce transfer. No longer on team so can not use the facility.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I have resigned from 4 colleges/universities not one stopped my office, e-mail, or phone privileges prior to my last day. In two cases my access extended beyond my departure.

This is only a story because a jilted coach made it one.

Were you in a position to learn information that you could use to harm your future employer? They play Oregon Week 1. Why is anyone upset the kid can't use the school's football facilities now that he is not a football player? I am blown away that there is even an iota of outrage over this.

In sales positions they walk you out the door immediately when you resign. No two weeks or anything. Yes, every job/position is different. Usually they let the receptionist finish up their 2 weeks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you're important enough, and you resign a gig, you don't even get to go back to your desk to get your stuff.

There's certainly a little bit of drama queen in the EWU coach, but I don't think it's unreasonable not to want your week one opponent's quarterback in your football facility for the next four months.

Reaction Score
Were you in a position to learn information that you could use to harm your future employer? They play Oregon Week 1. Why is anyone upset the kid can't use the school's football facilities now that he is not a football player? I am blown away that there is even an iota of outrage over this.

In sales positions they walk you out the door immediately when you resign. No two weeks or anything. Yes, every job/position is different. Usually they let the receptionist finish up their 2 weeks.

I forgot about that trick play EWU is going to use to beat Oregon. ....

I have no problem with him being boated from the football facility. I have a problem with the jackass telling the media about it in an interview. He could have taken the high road and this wouldn't be a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom