GOT Season Six | Page 2 | The Boneyard

GOT Season Six

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You knew that wasn't happening. You knew from Book One it wasn't happening. Complaining about it is your prerogative, but you're suggesting that you liked GOT because it was going to break a trope you knew it wasn't going to break.

You will come to my point of view when Jon and Meera share an awkward sexual tension moment before she ends up with Han Solo err or maybe Ron Weasley

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Have they jumped the shark with the Jon Snow resurrection?

Everything I liked about the show and books the unpredictability, the consequences for decisions made by characters has all been a smoke screen for the same old, same old. The prophecy. Azor Ahai. Why is it always an orphan fulfilling their destiny and finding out about their parentage along the way?

Harry Potter
Luke Skywalker
Rand Al'Thor

and now....
Jon Snow.

Et Tu game of thrones?

I full expect Meera Reed to be revealed as Jon's twin sister who were separated and hidden at birth.

Agree to some extent, although Snow was not an orphan, just a bastard. Everyone acknowledged he as a Stark. I don't like parentage > destiny stories, probably because I am a Democrat.

Bringing people back from the dead is a major plot problem for any story, as is magic. I am hooked enough that I will stick with it, but I find the character interactions a lot more interesting than waiting to see who will cast the best spell. Even the killings that you see coming a mile away, like Roose's, are still shocking when they happen, but would be much less shocking if they happened via magic.

Reaction Score
You will come to my point of view when Jon and Meera share an awkward sexual tension moment before she ends up with Han Solo err or maybe Ron Weasley

Nah. I think Bran deserves a good f----.

Reaction Score
Right and they couldve kept him Dead and broke the cliche.

I think he is too important for the storyline. Perhaps they could have not killed him in the first place, but I think they needed to bring him back once they did.

August_West

Reaction Score
Nah. I think Bran deserves a good f----.

The actor aging has sucked some reality out of his scenes. Hes a different person now. Nobodies fault, it happens. The least they couldve done is not give him a new haircut though. I mean I don't see a hair salon anywhere in the tree roots. Where did that new coif com from?

Reaction Score
I think he is too important for the storyline. Perhaps they could have not killed him in the first place, but I think they needed to bring him back once they did.

They never should a killed him. All the resurrections are making the death watches a joke.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
His resurrection by the red witch was foreshadowed throughout the books and the show. Thoros, the mountain, stoneheart, the white walkers all had resurrection stories. Magic or special powers that appear magical to us also have been pervasive throughout. It hasnt been Harry Potter or Mary Poppins magic, so that is the twist.

As for breaking the mold, nearly every major character from the first season is dead or has been through some real schnit.

The book and the show set this up long ago. Not beingjn him back (which I thought might actually happen before the last shot of him ansnthe wolf) would have lost most of the viewers. Twitter exploded with joy. Sometimes you have to give the reader/viewer what they want. This had to happen and they did it about as well as you can. Not cutting right to it in ep 1, played into the will they won't they about as far as you could expect.

Reaction Score
Have they jumped the shark with the Jon Snow resurrection?

Everything I liked about the show and books the unpredictability, the consequences for decisions made by characters has all been a smoke screen for the same old, same old. The prophecy. Azor Ahai. Why is it always an orphan fulfilling their destiny and finding out about their parentage along the way?

Harry Potter
Luke Skywalker
Rand Al'Thor

and now....
Jon Snow.

Et Tu game of thrones?

I full expect Meera Reed to be revealed as Jon's twin sister who were separated and hidden at birth.

Are you a closet WOT fan? @Deepelm recently passed on the news that it's officially becoming a television series.

August_West

Reaction Score
Are you a closet WOT fan? @Deepelm recently passed on the news that it's officially becoming a television series.
Yes.
Not closeted, just nobody talks about it.

Im very much looking forward to the Tower of Joy next week on GoT. Hope it does it justice.

Reaction Score
Yes.
Not closeted, just nobody talks about it.

Im very much looking forward to the Tower of Joy next week on GoT. Hope it does it justice.

You sir, along with Deep, would a fit right in with my UConn crowd. Smoke cigarettes, drink like fiends, dabble in some other stuff, skip classes, chase women and . . . . surreptitiously read geeky fantasy series.

August_West

Reaction Score
You sir, along with Deep, would a fit right in with my UConn crowd. Smoke cigarettes, drink like fiends, dabble in some other stuff, skip classes, chase women and . . . . surreptitiously read geeky fantasy series.

You need to be 10 years older to hang with me and Deep. The 80's, man.

pf9isc9gpidq3lbm9dtzlh5to1_5001.jpg

Reaction Score
Complaining about the orphan boy storyline is a bit much, considering it was known since Book One. Complaining about the resurrections is fair game. Fatso prided himself on killing off main characters, which basically means Ned Stark (the likes of Roose Bolton and Tywin Lannister are not main characters in a world filled with thousands of storylines). Even unimportant characters like Gregor Clegane no longer stay dead. I imagine next season there is going to be an Undead Kings of Westeros Posse formed to return Joffrey and Robert to the stage . . . .

I think it's the combination of the two. Complaining about resurrections specific to the show is odd considering their appearance, both express and implied, in the books. But the books kept it to side stories -- now we have a central character coming back from the dead. Jon's fate is unclear in the books, but I think that this was GMM's intent from the beginning. His death is the only thing that absolves him of his vows to the Night's Watch. Otherwise he is a deserter subject to execution.

August_West

Reaction Score
I think it's the combination of the two. Complaining about resurrections specific to the show is odd considering their appearance, both express and implied, in the books. But the books kept it to side stories -- now we have a central character coming back from the dead. Jon's fate is unclear in the books, but I think that this was GMM's intent from the beginning. His death is the only thing that absolves him of his vows to the Night's Watch. Otherwise he is a deserter subject to execution.

Kinda like the title of next weeks episode: "Oathbreaker"

Reaction Score

For the record, anything wrong with the show is Fatso's fault. Everything good I lay at the feet of HBO.

August_West

Reaction Score
For the record, anything wrong with the show is Fatso's fault. Everything good I lay at the feet of HBO.

Its ultimately all Fatso fault. The best of the show on HBO has been when they have been "on book". With no book there is a bit of flailing. But if they had a book it would be better. So little credit to HBO but no blame. all blame to Fatso.

Reaction Score
Its ultimately all Fatso fault. The best of the show on HBO has been when they have been "on book". With no book there is a bit of flailing. But if they had a book it would be better. So little credit to HBO but no blame. all blame to Fatso.

Mucho credit to HBO. It's rescued a great story that was slated to die of obesity. It's not HBO's fault, for example, that Fatso "killed" John Snow in the most transparently fake manner as possible in order to have a five-year long cliffhanger. There was no way to write around that failure in the books.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Three are other ways Jon could have honorably left the watch behind. By my count there are about 40 of them. Watch looks pretty dead to me.

If they were so mad at letting the Wilding in, the time to do something about it was before they opened up the gate through the wall. As is stood they killed 4% of their company and alienated another 10% at minimum.

That's on Martin.

August_West

Reaction Score
Mucho credit to HBO. It's rescued a great story that was slated to die of obesity. It's not HBO's fault, for example, that Fatso "killed" John Snow in the most transparently fake manner as possible in order to have a five-year long cliffhanger. There was no way to write around that failure in the books.

LOL "5 Year cliffhanger" in the book it will be an 11 year cliffhanger. Or more probable; the end of the series.

Reaction Score

I don't necessarily agree with that -- Other than the Dorne disaster, I thought that the departures from the books were well conceived and executed, in particular the substituting of Sansa for the fake Arya/Jayne Poole storyline and what they did with Tyrion/Varys/Jorah.

My fear is that without the mistakes of the last two books to show them what not to do, they may screw it up.

Also, the main benefit of following the books was that it forced them to develop characters and not push the story too fast. I'm worried that the temptation to dominate the social media conversation every week with major reveals will lead to plot advancement that seems contrived.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
It does seem that they confirmed RLJ and the 3 dragons theory just two episodes past the safety net if the books. Maybe that's what JRRM wrote for book 6 and maybe it's a head fake.

The free folk suddenly in control of Castle Black is a potential problem unless Jon Snow as savior can keep them in line.

No idea what Dany is doing or going. That's completely off book unless she ends up back at the pyramid, which would make her leaving a complete waste of time, so I think she grabs the dragons and heads to Dorne.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I disagree. HBO has cleaned up a lot of Martin's messes. His Sansa storyline is a trainwreck, as is Brienne wandering around in circles in the Riverlands for 200 pages. Varys disappears for almost 2 entire books!! And the Sand Snakes aren't much better in the books than they are in the show, so don't lay that on HBO.

August_West

Reaction Score
I'm worried that the temptation to dominate the social media conversation every week with major reveals will lead to plot advancement that seems contrived.

They already started. Did we really need Ramsay on screen with the dogs for Frey wife and baby? Do you need to make Ramsay any more insane or loathesome? Or is it more twitter fodder?

Reaction Score
I disagree. HBO has cleaned up a lot of Martin's messes. His Sansa storyline is a trainwreck, as is Brienne wandering around in circles in the Riverlands for 200 pages. Varys disappears for almost 2 entire books!! And the Sand Snakes aren't much better in the books than they are in the show, so don't lay that on HBO.

The Sand Snakes are classic Fatso. Nubile fifteen year olds who both fight and screw like men. Guy's either a pederast or a wannabe pederast.

Reaction Score
They already started. Did we really need Ramsay on screen with the dogs for Frey wife and baby? Do you need to make Ramsay any more insane or loathesome? Or is it more twitter fodder?

I can't wait to see the punishment that Fatso conjures up for Ramsay in his sick and twisted mind. Gotta give the man credit---he punishes sadism with sadism on steroids. Who could a imagined feeling bad for Theon?

August_West

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see the punishment that Fatso conjured up for Ramsay in his sick and twisted mind. Gotta give the man credit---he punishes sadism with sadism on steroids. Who could a imagined feeling bad for Theon?

you feel bad for Theon?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom