Good Preview of UMass Football | The Boneyard

Good Preview of UMass Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
This guy also does writing for the NY Times sports blog and his preseason previews are usually a very worthwhile read - he basically does one a day starting 125 days before the season starts.

http://www.presnapread.com/no-120-massachusetts/

The piece he had written on UMass' goal to be the class of New England Football is also interesting. Personally, I have no problem playing these guys every year and making it a rivalry game if they can manage to make the games competitive. A rising tide lifts all boats in my opinion.

http://www.presnapread.com/umass-wants-to-be-new-englands-best/

Reaction Score
"UConn is an enigma; the Huskies wholeheartedly support both the men’s and women’s basketball teams, but the same level of dedication is lacking when it comes to the football program. While the Huskies have experienced some success in the past — that Big East title two years ago, for example — the team seems some distance away from regaining its perch atop the conference."

Say what?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Yeah, it was an odd use of language. We never really had a perch atop the conference (at least one that wasn't shared) but someone who really knows the Big East should appreciate that particularly this year when WVU is no longer there that the conference is wide open for the taking. I would generally agree with the statement regarding the support of football in comparison to basketball however.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Considering that we have a pretty consistent fan showing at a number UMass would be dreaming about, I don't see how that statement is credible when included in an article that states UMass' goal is to become the dominant program in New England.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with UMASS wanting to be New England's Program. I only have a problem if it comes anywhere near a reality. We need to crush them everytime we see them on the field and leave no doubt that the respective programs are on vastly different levels.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If all UMass' dreams came true, they would be UConn. That athletic department make a move without disparaging UConn. It's been that way for decades. 'em.

Reaction Score
Oh, one more thing for UMASS.

Why not STFU until you beat programs like WVU, SCU, ND, Pitt, Syracuse, etc. and plan in a BCS bowl. I mean, c'mon!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
'Enigma' makes no sense here. Support is not where we would like it to be. Of course, we'd like it to be 60k with a 40k stadium.

Our support level exceeds the level of competition on the field with plenty of potential still there. Our support level also exceeds many established BCS programs.

So, in essence, stfu.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
i didn't realize Don Brown was at UMass as recently as 2009. he probably recruited a lot of the starters on this team. always nice to have an edge, even if it's against UMass

Reaction Score
am i the only one that had no idea FBS would be graced with a Larry Coker lead team from TX-San Antonio? i had no idea there were going to be so many new teams this year.

Reaction Score
What exactly would you expect UMass to say? We want to be #3 in New England? Sheesh. I actually wouldn't mind making this a regular thing either, though I'd want to do it on our terms...3 games at the Rent 1 at Foxborough. Maybe the annual opener for both teams.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
am i the only one that had no idea FBS would be graced with a Larry Coker lead team from TX-San Antonio? i had no idea there were going to be so many new teams this year.

That's why I like reading this guy's stuff. You learn a lot about a bunch of teams you wouldn't ordinarily think much about. Of course, most of them you won't think much about again but at least you learned something. :)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
alot of d1aa teams are going to be making the jump or just downgrading football. d1aa is going to die soon.

Reaction Score
That's why I like reading this guy's stuff. You learn a lot about a bunch of teams you wouldn't ordinarily think much about. Of course, most of them you won't think much about again but at least you learned something. :)

this is the first i've seen of this website but it looks really promising. CFN hasn't been worth reading in a little while and i'd been looking for a replacement

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What exactly would you expect UMass to say? We want to be #3 in New England? Sheesh. I actually wouldn't mind making this a regular thing either, though I'd want to do it on our terms...3 games at the Rent 1 at Foxborough. Maybe the annual opener for both teams.
I had no problem with that statement. What got me was that within an article that contained that statement a comment which could easily be interpreted as a knock on our fanbase (for only averaging mid to high 30k home attendance) whilen the subject of the article has no reason to believe that they could match our home attendance for the foreseeable future.

My point was that if the article was taking a pollyanna approach to UMass' football future, you cannot view the content as being credible.

Reaction Score
We should play them as a scrub/cupcake match up each season. If we have to play these games, we might as well beat up on someone we hate.

Reaction Score
That is a great blog...thanks for sharing! Love reading in-depth previews about each team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We should play them as a scrub/cupcake match up each season.

Why do them any favors? It's less than 2/3rds the distance to The Rent from UMass than it is to their home field.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Say what you want about UMass, but one thing is absolutely true: their marching band is bonafide, FBS-ready right now.

Hopefully they'll make the trip down to the Rent in September. They put on a great show!...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Say what you want about UMass, but one thing is absolutely true: their marching band is bonafide, FBS-ready right now.

Hopefully they'll make the trip down to the Rent in September. They put on a great show!...

I saw Florida A&M's band at a UConn game. Next.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I saw Florida A&M's band at a UConn game. Next.

Oh, the Marching 100 gets. It. Done. They're a phenomenal band!

Unfortunately, they're still on lockdown right now - too bad about their drum major, what a sad story...

Reaction Score
Why do them any favors? It's less than 2/3rds the distance to The Rent from UMass than it is to their home field.

It's more like we are doing ourselves a favor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's more like we are doing ourselves a favor.

Heck I'd even start a "Battle for New England" rivalry game with them. Yeah we're helping them but we're helping ourselves more. The fact that BC would be on the outside looking in is just a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom