Goners....Coaches On The Way Out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Goners....Coaches On The Way Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
big names, could bring excitement to our program

big names? go look up Chizik's record with ISU, then look at his record at Auburn when he didnt have Cam on his team. Dooley is getting fired from an SEC school with an excellent recruiting ground...you need a serious reality check if you think either of them would be a good hire.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
There needs to be a "Dislike" button. This (and the last) post proves it.

These guys couldnt win with programs that get the best talent in the country, and they each took over winning teams, and went the other way.
sorry that i have a different opinion than you and it offends you

Reaction Score
big names? go look up Chizik's record with ISU, then look at his record at Auburn when he didnt have Cam on his team. Dooley is getting fired from an SEC school with an excellent recruiting ground...you need a serious reality check if you think either of them would be a good hire.

this

Reaction Score
sorry that i have a different opinion than you and it offends you

It doesnt offend me, it makes me angry.

images

Reaction Score
There needs to be a "Dislike" button. This (and the last) post proves it.

These guys couldnt win with programs that get the best talent in the country, and they each took over winning teams, and went the other way.

Huh? Chizek won a national championship three seasons ago. Recruits might be impressed with his ring. And at least their programs were losing to the Alabama's, Florida's, LSU's, Georgia's of the world . . . Not Western Michigan and Temple.

Reaction Score
What would people think of Jeff Tedford as our next coach? He was never really that successful but he can develop QBs knows how to sling the ball. At least if we're losing we'll be losing in a more exciting fashion. More exciting than raking leaves.

UConn would be having a good season. The defense is already good and Tedford would have that offense in a different place. We, as fans, wouldn't recognize it, but whatever those 6 point plays are called, they sure seem handier than those exciting FGs.

Reaction Score
I think TOB is done in NCST, getting close to retirement.

At NCST, they are finally learning what we told them when they "stole" him from us, he will churn out 7/8 win seasons once he gets his players but will never get you where you want to go.

Consistent 7/8 wins seasons are very underrated. BC was in a good place winning 7-8 games a season and making a bowl game. Then you hope every so often you bring in a guy like Doug Flutie or Matt Ryan and make a BCS Bowl. I'd sign up for that in a heart beat.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Consistent 7/8 wins seasons are very underrated. BC was in a good place winning 7-8 games a season and making a bowl game. Then you hope every so often you bring in a guy like Doug Flutie or Matt Ryan and make a BCS Bowl. I'd sign up for that in a heart beat.
I think most BC fans would now sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
I think it is safe to say that when P is fired...after this season or next...that it will be done shortly after the last game if not right before it...and that the contracts of the staff will most likely not be renewed until after the new HC is hired...allowing him to bring in his own staff.
I don't think you are going to see any of the guys that were on both Edsall and P's staff retained.

Reaction Score
"Recruitsmight be impressed with his ring" was the same thing Cuse fans said about the hiring of G. Robinson.
No thank you.

Reaction Score
Bill Parcells is available.

He'd probably do wonders with this team... The sloppy execution that is allowed by this staff he wouldn't tolerate...

Reaction Score
So we wait until end of year 3 and go 5-7; 3-9; 5-7 and that gives us more margin of error?
I don't think Uconn wants two consecutive coaches to be canned within their first 2-3 seasons. It would sort of scream 'come coach Uconn so we can fire your ass too'... Wouldn't really attract a lot of top-notch coaches at that point.
So that said, if we can PP after two years, we're stuck with the next coach for some time. I don't see Uconn making a long term commitment to an unproven coach with zero track-record at this level.

Reaction Score
I don't see Uconn making a long term commitment to an unproven coach with zero track-record at this level.
I get your point, but I guess my question is what you mean by "coach". If you mean an unproven OC or DC, I'd agree, but if you require a proven head coach, that "proven quantity" requirement for a head coach obviously wasn't followed in basketball, and that's our crown jewel. While I wasn't a big fan of hiring the never before head coach KO and I've seen too many head coach's hand picked successors flop, that doesn't mean that he won't succeed, or a currently successful football OC or DC won't work out at the next level if given a shot. Examples of not yet proven head coaching commodities that I would have loved to see here as first time head coaches: Chip Kelly, Stoops, Mullen, Muschamp, all chosen from the OC ranks. I say analyze a guy's coaching potential, check him out in a thorough vetting process and make the right fit for UConn, whether he's currently a proven head coach or not.

Reaction Score
I get your point, but I guess my question is what you mean by "coach". If you mean an unproven OC or DC, I'd agree, but if you require a proven head coach, that "proven quantity" requirement for a head coach obviously wasn't followed in basketball, and that's our crown jewel. While I wasn't a big fan of hiring the never before head coach KO and I've seen too many head coach's hand picked successors flop, that doesn't mean that he won't succeed, or a currently successful football OC or DC won't work out at the next level if given a shot. Examples of not yet proven head coaching commodities that I would have loved to see here as first time head coaches: Chip Kelly, Stoops, Mullen, Muschamp, all chosen from the OC ranks. I say analyze a guy's coaching potential, check him out in a thorough vetting process and make the right fit for UConn, whether he's currently a proven head coach or not.

I suppose I could entertain the thought of debating what a 'proven coach' means...
But I'm not going to... If we could hire the DC from Alabama or the OC from Oregon I would think they are 'proven'...

The Kevin Ollie comparison is so different than this situation, I'm not sure why you bring it up. I will say, if Uconn hired a coach after Calhoun and they fired him after two years, I don't think they would be giving Ollie a chance (assuming he had zero head coaching experience), which was my point about the next coach after PP.

If you fire a coach after two years, it's a pretty big statement. That next coach better be as close to a sure thing as you can get. Some people might even suggest, you don't fire someone unless you have the replacement already selected.

Reaction Score
Butch Davis is quite possibly the greatest talent evaluator in football over the last 20 years.

But he's shady as hell and his teams seemed to overachieve relative to their talent level at UNC. I don't know if he'd be able to attract that talent to UConn.

Reaction Score
Butch Davis is quite possibly the greatest talent evaluator in football over the last 20 years.

But he's shady as hell and his teams seemed to overachieve relative to their talent level at UNC. I don't know if he'd be able to attract that talent to UConn.

Not without a whole course catalogue of bogus classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom