Goestenkors now an SEC commentator | The Boneyard

Goestenkors now an SEC commentator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was behind the Duke bench at harbor Yards when she and her assts were huddled up during timeouts for 50 secs before they reached the bench for 10 secs!
They were more concerned about their outfits than any adjustments. I'm sure she'll bring great commentary : )

Reaction Score
I am glad she has found a good place to land..... sje is a good basketball mind, if not a successful coach

Reaction Score
How in the world did that come to pass?
Duke would not pay her the salary she deserved as a final four coach. I don't blame her for leaving. It's not like these Universities are cash poor either. They are very rich mini corporations.

Reaction Score
It's also a good way for a coach to stay in the limelight so to speak- this keeps her name out there for a team looking to hire someone.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Don't know if the grass was greener, but the salary certainly was.

Yeah, it depends what she valued more. Better long term financial security, or a potentially stronger legacy. NB: I have no idea what GG considers more important for her and her family.

It's pretty easy to determine that it is far easier to recruit to Duke in WCBB than to UT. UT is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but WCBB players value education to a far greater degree than men, given limited professional opportunities upon graduation. The Duke name carries big weight in the professional world (even though, realistically, you can get just as good of an education at Texas).

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
It's pretty easy to determine that it is far easier to recruit to Duke in WCBB than to UT. UT is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but WCBB players value education to a far greater degree than men, given limited professional opportunities upon graduation. The Duke name carries big weight in the professional world (even though, realistically, you can get just as good of an education at Texas).

Duke was in the bottom of the ACC before Goestenkors arrived. Her pitch to recruits was using the academics as a primary recruiting tool, while also selling the opportunity to completely build a program.

And because of her efforts, CAPE developed (around 1999), which is a MAJOR advantage that Duke has with some elite recruits (e.g., Alison Bales, Elizabeth Williams).
CAPE Link #1 (from 2008)
CAPE Link #2 (video from earlier this year)

Goestenkors and McCallie had similar problems. UT, by all accounts, is a very good public institution. But a Duke degree carries much more weight and is perceived as having a higher status than one from Texas; in other words, it is more elite. Goestenkors' mistake was forgetting how much she came to rely on the Duke degree as part of her sales pitch.

McCallie's mistake coming to Duke was thinking that Duke would simply sell itself because of the degree, not realizing that Goestenkors had built the program and was selling Duke (not simply recruits competing for Duke scholarships, as McCallie initially thought). This is why McCallie's first two classes relatively pedestrian The 2007 recruits had signed with Duke when Goestenkors was still there; Abby and Emily Waner re-sold Duke to them so they would stay after Goestenkors left. Shay Selby, the best player from Duke's 2008 class, had already committed to Duke when Goestenkors was still there (and one of her lead recruiters, Shannon Perry, was staying at Duke). Of the five players in the 2008 and 2009 classes that were "solely" McCallie's players, two transferred and one quit.

McCallie corrected the course by having two assistants who do full-time recruiting; in fact, former Duke assistant (current Louisville assistant) Samantha Williams was the architect of the 2010 class, which, at the time they signed, was the greatest recruiting class in the Duke's history.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As an aside, when Jody Conradt left Texas and UT made Goestenkors a target for the vacancy (with a whopping offer), this is what then-Athletics Director Joe Alleva had to say about her:

This from "The Chronicle," the Duke student paper, on March 20, 2007:

Goestenkors' salary is not public information, but she was not listed among the top five paid employees on Duke's most recent Internal Revenue Service 990 tax filing.

Director of Athletics Joe Alleva declined to discuss the specifics of Goestenkors' compensation but said she is "very well compensated in the world of women's basketball."

Compared to the top tier of coaches in the women's game, however, Goestenkors' salary does not stack up. Tennessee's Pat Summitt is the highest-paid coach in women's college basketball at an average of $1.125 million guaranteed over six seasons, and Geno Auriemma's contract with Connecticut guarantees him $988,000 per year.

"They've both won a lot of national championships and are part of programs that make money for their institutions. They bring in profit for their athletic departments, and that's not the case for our women's program," Alleva said. "I'm sure some of these other institutions will offer significantly large packages to encourage her to go.

Remember, Duke had just lost a heartbreaker in the national title game the year before and had made two NCAA Championship games and four Final Fours in nine years and seven Elite Eights in the previous ten years. That what Goestenkors built. And you have the athletic director essentially disparaging her accomplishments, in a very public way, while she is being courted by Texas.

Joe Alleva left one year later for LSU. While he was still under contract at Duke when he left, the university had been "encouraging" him to look for other jobs. This was one of the incidents cited for the university's encouragement of him to leave.

Reaction Score
I am glad she has found a good place to land..... sje is a good basketball mind, if not a successful coach
I think the BY has unusually high standards for what defines a "successful coach." Basically Geno, Pat and Muffet. With a few friends of Geno being granted "good coach" status: Sherri Coale, Gary Blair, Doug Bruno , Jim Foster, Jeff Walz. Cam makes a good case for GG being "good coach", using more conventional criteria.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
GG absolutely did build the Duke program from the ground up and came very close to winning a national championship. Her time at Texas was generally ill-fated and mysteriously so. Although she did get a few good recruits, no one can really say why her success at Duke could not carry over to Austin. It may have been that she simply couldn't recruit well enough. All I know is that the offense she often coached was putrid- again, confounding.

At the end of the day, she was an extremely well-compensated failure. Would Duke have accomplished more with her than with Coach P (had GG not left Duke, of course)? It's a very tough call.

Good luck to her in her current endeavor, in any event.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
GG absolutely did build the Duke program from the ground up and came very close to winning a national championship. Her time at Texas was generally ill-fated and mysteriously so. Although she did get a few good recruits, no one can really say why her success at Duke could not carry over to Austin. It may have been that she simply couldn't recruit well enough. All I know is that the offense she often coached was putrid- again, confounding.

At the end of the day, she was an extremely well-compensated failure. Would Duke have accomplished more with her than with Coach P (had GG not left Duke, of course)? It's a very tough call.

Good luck to her in her current endeavor, in any event.
great info from everyone- thanks! and that is a very interesting question alex! she did do a great job at Duke. I spent about 15 minutes with Joanne- Coach P- in Nashille this year. She really is/was very nice and fun to talk to. I always liked her. She just looks like a coach to me. Even though, I think she has kind of underachieved at Duke, given the talent she's been able to draw.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
She should have stayed at Duke. No question about that in my mind. I wonder what Triad thinks?

Reaction Score
I think the BY has unusually high standards for what defines a "successful coach." Basically Geno, Pat and Muffet. With a few friends of Geno being granted "good coach" status: Sherri Coale, Gary Blair, Doug Bruno , Jim Foster, Jeff Walz. Cam makes a good case for GG being "good coach", using more conventional criteria.
If we really needed a third name on the short list, I'd probably pick Kim Mulkey who has 2 of the last 10 titles won.

Reaction Score
If we really needed a third name on the short list, I'd probably pick Kim Mulkey who has 2 of the last 10 titles won.
I'm good with making the list as short as you want. Geno & Pat are inarguable. Let's just say the others are "good"

Reaction Score
Gail was a great coach! Not saying she was as good as Geno, but I don't think anyone is. Gail is the main reason I was a Duke fan. She built that program to be one of the best in the country. Unfortunately, she couldn't win the big one. That loss to Maryland was the most heartbreaking loss I've suffered as a fan. I was there, it gave me another reason to hate Boston (Yankees fan). I was staying just down the hall from the players, and I can still remember them in the hallway crying late at night. Brutal. Duke's program hasn't been the same since. I'm sure she will do a great job as a commentator. Certainly can't do any worse than ESPN's Peck, who I can't stand.

Reaction Score
Trisha Stafford-Odom was the assistant that was a major part of reeling in top talent to Duke and UNC (DD and crew) in a short period of time. She made two teams less than 10 miles apart, "Top 10" programs. Word is she got in some kind of hot water and she is no longer in D-1, choosing to become a head coach at a small school in California. She also had a brief stint as HC of DD's former AAU team, which featured one of her future teammates at Tennessee.

Stafford-Odom also brought good talent to UCLA when she was an assistant there under Kathy Olivier.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Gail was a great coach! Not saying she was as good as Geno, but I don't think anyone is. Gail is the main reason I was a Duke fan. She built that program to be one of the best in the country. Unfortunately, she couldn't win the big one. That loss to Maryland was the most heartbreaking loss I've suffered as a fan. I was there, it gave me another reason to hate Boston (Yankees fan). I was staying just down the hall from the players, and I can still remember them in the hallway crying late at night. Brutal. Duke's program hasn't been the same since. I'm sure she will do a great job as a commentator. Certainly can't do any worse than ESPN's Peck, who I can't stand.
That young Maryland team was really something. they had a chemestry and a swagger. Not sure what happenned to them the yrs after- because, as I remember, they were a really young team. I was in bridgeport when Duke beat us, charde missed a short 4-6 ft shot at the end. It was a great game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm good with making the list as short as you want. Geno & Pat are inarguable. Let's just say the others are "good"
And Leon Barmore. You simply cannot make a list of "greats" without his name.

While the folks you listed as Geno's "friends" are all good coaches, there is a bit of variety there. As good as Doug Bruno is, for example, how successful might he have been if most of his career hadn't been in a mid-major conference? Former Texas coach Conradt is another well thought of coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom