Go Vote For Lou - HEY YOU, VOTE! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Go Vote For Lou - HEY YOU, VOTE!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
94.4% 320-11(Plum)-2-1-0-0. Keep them cards and letters coming!

Reaction Score
I was certain someone from Tennessee would make this list...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Having voted for Lou numerous times, I just voted once for Jovana Nogic from Providence. Have never seen her play, but I felt bad for her, since the last time I checked she hadn't earned a single vote. In addition, it's pretty cool that she's from Portugal and her nickname is YoYo.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Why does determining the best 3-point shooter require a vote? Its a numbers game. Lou does not have the highest shooting percentage or most 3-pointers made. A more wonky discussion might be to figure out just how you really could measure "best three point shooter". Who is the best outside shooter based on the situations that the shots are taken in... "clutch" shooting. Again, because Lou is rarely sinking 3s when the game is on the line, she might suffer in this comparison. Saniya might be our best "clutch shooter" this year.

This particular poll is a measure of fan base support, not shooting skill, and we obviously love us some Lou! :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, when Saniya drained her last 3 a tradition continued. Huskies tripling their pleasure

"Chong joined teammates Katie Lou Samuelson and Kia Nurse on the list of Huskies with 100 career 3-pointers which is the sixth time that has happened in program history. However, the program record with four players with 100 3-pointers (set in 2012-13) is set for this season."

KLS will be moving up that Huskies list a long, long way before she's done.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why does determining the best 3-point shooter require a vote? Its a numbers game. Lou does not have the highest shooting percentage or most 3-pointers made. A more wonky discussion might be to figure out just how you really could measure "best three point shooter". Who is the best outside shooter based on the situations that the shots are taken in... "clutch" shooting. Again, because Lou is rarely sinking 3s when the game is on the line, she might suffer in this comparison. Saniya might be our best "clutch shooter" this year.

This particular poll is a measure of fan base support, not shooting skill, and we obviously love us some Lou! :cool:
I had to consider whether or not I wanted to take the bait and respond to your post. I guess I'm just a dumb fish, because I can't resist.

You are absolutely correct that this poll is a measure of fan base support. It has nothing to do with POY or AA honors. It's just fun, so why not participate, because as you say, "we love us some Lou."

Numbers are a part of it, but not the all of it. I would argue that competition is a critical factor. To date, Lou has faced the toughest schedule of anyone on the list. In fact, only Plum has faced a comparable schedule, although not as many ranked teams.

Every night, Lou has been facing some of the best defenders in the country, not named Gabby Williams. She has been knocked around, fouled played sick and she has continued to drain shots.

The clutch shooting argument based on Saniya's 3 vs MD doesn't hold water. Saniya's 3 was great, but it doesn't even matter unless Lou comes up huge in the 2nd half against the Terps. Every time the Terps made a run, Lou buried a clutch shot, all while feeling sick as a dog. Lou also hit several key 3's late vs FSU, the one game that UConn almost lost. She hit several big 3's vs Baylor. After a scoreless 1st half, Lou got hot in the 2nd half against TX including a key 3 pointer late. She set the tone against ND by burying the 1st and only 3 of the game with the 1st shot of the game. She destroyed OSU by nailing 5-3 pointers. Against SMU, when the Huskies were a bit sluggish during the 1st half and SMU started closing the gap, Lou took over and scored 9 out of 11 points, including a big 3 pointer.

Finally, there are 2 kinds of 3 point shooters, those who spot up, catch and shoot; and those that can put the ball on the floor to side step a defender or come off a screen and shoot a 3. There are a lot of the former and not nearly as many of the latter. Mabrey from ND is one of the very best spot up 3 pt shooters in the country, but if you make her put the ball on the floor, she's really not a threat.

Lou along with Kelsey Plum are in the latter group and that makes them special. Having seen them both play, if I was being honest, I really couldn't tell you which one is a better 3 pt shooter. Plum often uses her quickness to dribble then step back to shoot a three. With Lou's height and perfect release, UConn is setting more ball screens for her at the arc, where she takes one or two dribbles to the side to run her defender into the screen and then releases a lovely high-arching shot that can not be defended.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I had to consider whether or not I wanted to take the bait and respond to your post. I guess I'm just a dumb fish, because I can't resist.

You are absolutely correct that this poll is a measure of fan base support. It has nothing to do with POY or AA honors. It's just fun, so why not participate, because as you say, "we love us some Lou."

Numbers are a part of it, but not the all of it. I would argue that competition is a critical factor. To date, Lou has faced the toughest schedule of anyone on the list. In fact, only Plum has faced a comparable schedule, although not as many ranked teams.

Every night, Lou has been facing some of the best defenders in the country, not named Gabby Williams. She has been knocked around, fouled played sick and she has continued to drain shots.

The clutch shooting argument based on Saniya's 3 vs MD doesn't hold water. Saniya's 3 was great, but it doesn't even matter unless Lou comes up huge in the 2nd half against the Terps. Every time the Terps made a run, Lou buried a clutch shot, all while feeling sick as a dog. Lou also hit several key 3's late vs FSU, the one game that UConn almost lost. She hit several big 3's vs Baylor. After a scoreless 1st half, Lou got hot in the 2nd half against TX including a key 3 pointer late. She set the tone against ND by burying the 1st and only 3 of the game with the 1st shot of the game. She destroyed OSU by nailing 5-3 pointers. Against SMU, when the Huskies were a bit sluggish during the 1st half and SMU started closing the gap, Lou took over and scored 9 out of 11 points, including a big 3 pointer.

Finally, there are 2 kinds of 3 point shooters, those who spot up, catch and shoot; and those that can put the ball on the floor to side step a defender or come off a screen and shoot a 3. There are a lot of the former and not nearly as many of the latter. Mabrey from ND is one of the very best spot up 3 pt shooters in the country, but if you make her put the ball on the floor, she's really not a threat.

Lou along with Kelsey Plum are in the latter group and that makes them special. Having seen them both play, if I was being honest, I really couldn't tell you which one is a better 3 pt shooter. Plum often uses her quickness to dribble then step back to shoot a three. With Lou's height and perfect release, UConn is setting more ball screens for her at the arc, where she takes one or two dribbles to the side to run her defender into the screen and then releases a lovely high-arching shot that can not be defended.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I voted for Lou, of course. Can I vote a second time? I'm considering a write-in ballot for Kaleena. ;)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Jaycee Bradley, South Dakota 6.2% (39 votes)

Darby Maggard, Belmont 0.48% (3 votes)

Jovana Nogic, Providence 2.54% (16 votes)

Kelsey Plum, Washington 3.02% (19 votes)

Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn 86.33% (543 votes)

Other: 1.43% (9 votes)

Total Votes: 629

Reaction Score
Jaycee Bradley, South Dakota 6.2% (39 votes)

Darby Maggard, Belmont 0.48% (3 votes)

Jovana Nogic, Providence 2.54% (16 votes)

Kelsey Plum, Washington 3.02% (19 votes)

Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn 86.33% (543 votes)

Other: 1.43% (9 votes)

Total Votes: 629

Lou now has 547 votes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Keep an eye on Bradley. The folks in SD love their Coyotes.

Reaction Score
She's now at 582--closest to her is Jaycee Bradley (SD) at 75.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Now over 600 for sweet Lou!!! Hubba, hubba, hubba

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Well, maybe a combined measure where you add the rankings of 3pt % and number of 3 pts so
Overall ranking = (rank % 3pt) + (rank # 3pt) so if player A is ranked 1st in 3pt % and 2nd in # 3pt, player A's Overall Ranking
is 3rd. (I know the lowest ranking is 2 but who cares since it is relative)

Reaction Score
No Kelsey Mitchell? I thought she was the AA shooter of choice...........I guess maybe somebody looked at her 3 point shooting percentage............(.361)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Write in Karlie Samuelson

Karlie2.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members