Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread] | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
The thing that fascinates me is that this wasn't a violation. It seems like when UConn is involved, the NCAA just makes up offenses on the fly. That organization is an abomination.

The lawyer in me made me find the NCAA by-laws and I specifically found this (if someone else has posted this information, I apologize--had no time to read all the posts):

"13.02.12 Prospective Student-Athlete. A prospective student-athlete is a student who has started classes for the ninth grade. In addition, a student who has not started classes for the ninth grade becomes a prospective student-athlete if the institution provides such an individual (or the individual’s relatives or friends) any financial assistance or other benefits that the institution does not provide to prospective students generally. An individual remains a prospective student-athlete until one of the following occurs (whichever is earlier): (Revised: 1/11/89, 1/10/90, 4/28/05, 1/17/09, 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13) [the rest of this section is not quoted because it is irrelevant].

The rules continuously refer to a "prospective student-athlete" until we get to the relevant rule:

13.1.3.1 Time Period for Telephone Calls—General Rule. Telephone calls to an individual (or his or her relatives or legal guardians) may not be made before September 1 at the beginning of his or her junior year in high school (subject to the exceptions below). If an individual attends an educational institution that uses a nontraditional academic calendar (e.g., Southern Hemisphere), telephone calls to the individual (or his or her relatives or legal guardians) may not be made before the opening day of classes of his or her junior year in high school. Thereafter, an institution may make telephone calls to the prospective student-athlete at its discretion. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 7/1/91, 1/16/93, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 4/22/98, 4/26/01, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 1/9/06, 6/13/08, 1/15/11, 1/18/14 effective 8/1/14)

Notice that this rule refers to an "individual" rather than a "prospective student athlete." This is the only basis I can imagine for the NCAA's tortured interpretation of its own rules. Any rational person reading these rules would define individual, in the context, to mean a "prospective student-athlete" which could not possibly include Mo'ne Davis since she has not started the ninth grade.

The rules can be found at:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D115AUG.pdf

Reaction Score
Any1 familiar with Freedom of Information Request can file one with each suspected school in an effort to determine if they have filed any complaints against UConn and Geno.
Bingo -- EVERYONE familiar with FOI request should file with each suspected school. Can someone on the board provide the addresses to which the requests should be submitted? Then the submitter will rue the day when he/she/it decided to pursue this bogus issue.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What makes you think that still won't be the score?

a.jpg

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sounds like much ado about nothing to me. What are the consequences of the communication between Geno and Davis?

You would think I'd know since Mulkey had one. She had limits on recruiting, I believe.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Get the story right, will you? Geno didn't contact her - the Philadelphia 76ers did. Their intentions were the best, I'm sure, but they got their pal Geno into this brouhaha.

In Russian there is no single word for "disservice" - instead they use the idiom "a bear's favor," from a story by the Russian classic fabulist, Krylov. Think Aesop or La Fontaine.

It seems a certain Russian hunter's best friend was a bear he met in the woods. They were inseparable buddies. One morning the bear happened to wake up before the hunter and noticed a fly was walking on his pal's forehead. Rather than waking up his sleeping friend, the bear picked up a 10 kilo rock and brought it down square on the guy's forehead with all the force he could muster.

I wonder if the bear was wearing a Philadelphia tee shirt?

Oops, I should have said "when I heard that Geno had communicated with Davis." When I heard that on TV my first thought was that I wondered if that could be perceived as communicating as a prospective recruit.

It sounds as if Geno was put in an awkward position of not being given the time to remove himself from the situation.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sounds like much ado about nothing to me. What are the consequences of the communication between Geno and Davis?

You would think I'd know since Mulkey had one. She had limits on recruiting, I believe.
Probably nothing - it is deemed secondary which sometimes comes in the form of an official reprimand attached to the coaches file, or a compliance class, or a day without diet coke. I believe Mulkey had a violation that was not deemed 'secondary' but was still considered 'minor' and had some restrictions placed on the number of calls her staff could make for a year, or the number of off campus travel days or something. As i remember they had made too many calls to a number of different recruits because of bad record keeping or something.

Reaction Score
It may be a laughing stock, but they have the power to tarnish Coach Auriemma and his WCBB program, not to mention take away scholarships and ban the team from post-season play. I refuse to laugh at an organization that can pretty much do whatever they want when it comes to enforcement. This very well could be payback for Shabazz spouting off and embarrassing Emmert on national TV.

This is a minor secondary violation and, like almost all secondary violations, will result in no real punishment. Maybe a "try not to do it again" semi-warning.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
stamfordhusky said:
This is a minor secondary violation and, like almost all secondary violations, will result in no real punishment. Maybe a "try not to do it again" semi-warning.

Yet it garnered a lot of publicity which normally would be negative publicity for Geno and UConn, as any sound bite of news stating infraction would have pretty much everybody up in arms, however because of the pettiness of this particular claim and I think the positive lauds and publicity that this young lady garnered as well, quite the opposite happened. if the person who made the complaint was looking for a negative impact to UConn they were sorely mistaken.

In fact should it ever be leaked the name of the person who made the complaint they will find themselves more than likely in a storm of very unfriendly backlash.

Likely they would find themselves very isolated too, as people with distance themselves not wanting to be covered with the stain of shame.

Can you say "holy backfire Batman!"

Reaction Score
Just caught Mo'ne on Fallon. No mention of Geno thing, or even basketball at all (and she wasn't wearing a UCONN hoodie) . I'm pretty sure they record both the Thursday and Friday late-night talk shows both on Thursday evenings early. So the fuss wouldn't have been as big as is is by now. Think the story on the complaint came out Wednesday afternoon, and the NCAA citation just broke Thursday afternoon.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The lawyer in me made me find the NCAA by-laws and I specifically found this (if someone else has posted this information, I apologize--had no time to read all the posts):

"

The rules continuously refer to a "prospective student-athlete" until we get to the relevant rule:

13.1.3.1 Time Period for Telephone Calls—General Rule. Telephone calls to an individual (or his or her relatives or legal guardians) may not be made before September 1 at the beginning of his or her junior year in high school (subject to the exceptions below). If an individual attends an educational institution that uses a nontraditional academic calendar (e.g., Southern Hemisphere), telephone calls to the individual (or his or her relatives or legal guardians) may not be made before the opening day of classes of his or her junior year in high school. Thereafter, an institution may make telephone calls to the prospective student-athlete at its discretion. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 7/1/91, 1/16/93, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 4/22/98, 4/26/01, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 1/9/06, 6/13/08, 1/15/11, 1/18/14 effective 8/1/14)

Notice that this rule refers to an "individual" rather than a "prospective student athlete." This is the only basis I can imagine for the NCAA's tortured interpretation of its own rules. Any rational person reading these rules would define individual, in the context, to mean a "prospective student-athlete" which could not possibly include Mo'ne Davis since she has not started the ninth grade.

The rules can be found at:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D115AUG.pdf
Roy, what about the detail that the call was not made to any of those in italics but rather to the coverage team. They handed the phone over to Mo'ne who as the conversation went Geno seemed unaware she was present until the coverage team mentioned it.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Roy, what about the detail that the call was not made to any of those in italics but rather to the coverage team. They handed the phone over to Mo'ne who as the conversation went Geno seemed unaware she was present until the coverage team mentioned it.

In criminal matters, "intent" is an essential element. Obviously, the NCAA did not consider Geno's intent. It was a phone call to a potential recruit, apparently as far as they were concerned. I would be very curious to hear the NCAA explain their ruling.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In criminal matters, "intent" is an essential element. Obviously, the NCAA did not consider Geno's intent. It was a phone call to a potential recruit, apparently as far as they were concerned. I would be very curious to hear the NCAA explain their ruling.
Exactly, as far as they were concerned but it certainly did not match their rule based on its wording.

Reaction Score
Bria looks awfully tall in that pic and if that's Kara Lawson in the background, she look quite perturbed about this "obvious" recruiting violation.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Exactly, as far as they were concerned but it certainly did not match their rule based on its wording.

This is the meat of the debate. The wording of the NCAA rules does not match the decision.

So the question that needs to be answered - who interpreted the ruling on the NCAA's part and why. Saying Davis is a special case is not good enough.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
THE NATIONAL COLLEGIATE ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 6222
Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222
ncaa.org

Last edited by a moderator:

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
As written in The Courant: "According to an athletic department source, the NCAA viewed Davis, despite her age, as someone more significant than a typical "individual athlete" because of her notoriety and previously expressed interest in playing for UConn."

I've written to the NCAA, noting that the conclusion of a violation is inconsistent with the rules set forth in their by-laws, and asking for an explanation if they stand by their decision. Obviously, I don't really expect a response, but if this statement in the Courant is correct, it seems the NCAA makes up its rules as it goes along. Try to imagine what it would be like in our society if that's the way things were done by our government and courts.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno should call her back and get the most out of that "violation"... its a damn shame!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I can see it a violation that if left unchecked, could easily be abused. With that said, a first "offense" should be little more than a stern warning. A pattern of calling such athletes ... Yeah, that would and should be a problem for any school.

One thing for sure, if it had been the coach of a UConn rival who had made the call, it would have been considered a crime against humanity in the minds of many here.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Then make the rule clear. The NCAA did not follow their own written rules.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I can see it a violation that if left unchecked, could easily be abused. With that said, a first "offense" should be little more than a stern warning. A pattern of calling such athletes ... Yeah, that would and should be a problem for any school.

One thing for sure, if it had been the coach of a UConn rival who had made the call, it would have been considered a crime against humanity in the minds of many here.

I would agree with you to the extent that it is a practice that sets an unfortunate precedent if not discouraged.

Responses by the complaining school, by the NCAA, by many media, and, yes, by some Boneyarders, may be characterized as over-reactions, reasonably attributable to off-season boredom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom