Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread] | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreeing with Jacobs is somewhat painful but in this case I wish he would have used even more of his punishing style.
When the identity of the school/individual that filed this petty report is divulged, the communication I send them will make Jacob's "punishing" style, look like a Hallmark card.

Reaction Score
Thing is, as far as I know, the only ones coming out against this has been those within the UConn community (Connecticut media, the Boneyard). We hear all the time from those associated with the game how UConn's dominance is bad for women's basketball. We heard comments in the past season from other coaches (McGraw, Frese) that hinted of the jealousy of UConn that has been talked about. Have there been any comments from anyone within WCB (but outside of the UConn community) that has been supportive of Geno/UConn in this episode?

Reaction Score
I think it's quite possible that someone on the Boneyard made the complaint. After all, it's really been slow going the last month or two, with very little of interest being posted here. And it certainly gave an opportunity to those here who love to heap criticism upon certain rival coaches.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
I think it's quite possible that someone on the Boneyard made the complaint. After all, it's really been slow going the last month or two, with very little of interest being posted here. And it certainly gave an opportunity to those here who love to heap criticism upon certain rival coaches.
Smile when ya say that pardner...

And to make things straight... give me a shot of red eye in a dirty glass.

Buckaroo Boo

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I haven't read a single take supporting the NCAA's decision. Everything has been about how ridiculous it is. As an opposition fan, I think UConn comes out looking great on this one. It's tremendous positive PR for Geno.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Thing is, as far as I know, the only ones coming out against this has been those within the UConn community (Connecticut media, the Boneyard). We hear all the time from those associated with the game how UConn's dominance is bad for women's basketball. We heard comments in the past season from other coaches (McGraw, Frese) that hinted of the jealousy of UConn that has been talked about. Have there been any comments from anyone within WCB (but outside of the UConn community) that has been supportive of Geno/UConn in this episode?
Mechelle Voepel has been very outspoken in favor of Geno/UConn. She called the NCAA's ruling "absurd".

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Okay, going way out on the limb of the giant conspiracy theory tree. Can a complaint be filled by a booster of another program? One that is known to have such hatred for all things UConn and Geno in particular? One that bleeds orange and was a key contributor to the prior complaint that dragged several Boneyarders into the fray? One whose first or last name starts with an M or a C.

You know.... could it be..SATAN? <doing my best Church Lady impression>

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Why is it that only UConn's dominance is considered bad for the game? Nobody whined when Old Dominion, Louisiana Tech & Tennessee ruled the game that I can recall. Granted Geno can be very obnoxious at times so it is easy for people to dislike him and his teams. Nonetheless UConn has raised the bar for women's college basketball excellence just like ODU, LA Tech and Tenn did in their time. Everyone should be striving to knock UConn off, not complaining about it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Not remotely possible. Reads like a Summitt post.:oops:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
When I heard that Geno contacted her I was surprised. I can't say that I am surprised that a complaint was filed, although it seems like a bunch of silliness.

Reaction Score
Hmm, no. Yahoo Sports and Sporting News writers ripped the decision, just to name a couple.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Not remotely possible. Reads like a Summitt post.:oops:

I've thoroughly enjoyed the thread. An opportunity to heap blame on the NCAA, talk about how everyone looks up to this program, and point fingers at other coaches we don't like - what a great thread!

Reaction Score
Hmm, no. Yahoo Sports and Sporting News writers ripped the decision, just to name a couple.

Thanks.....did not know of that. I guess I was looking for some of Geno's fellow coaches to comment on how ridiculous this is.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I'm itching to use my Dana Carvey clip yet again, and this thread is ripe with possibilities...I thought Jim's

"The idea was cleared by the UConn compliance office and, hey, from this point I would probably argue nothing should be cleared until those constipated little souls in the NCAA office OK it first. " warranted something "special"...thoughts?

Reaction Score
When I heard that Geno contacted her I was surprised. I can't say that I am surprised that a complaint was filed, although it seems like a bunch of silliness.

Yes it was probably some putz who is tired of Geno and UCONN winning National Championships!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

5) the NCAA has probably just shot themselves in the foot at getting out of season coverage for their premier women's athletic program. Why would any coach run the risk of ever giving any young person encouragement ever again.

That is what really sticks in my craw. This world is wayyyyy too focused on bureaucratic rules and blind too plain common sense. And who ultimately suffers? Everybody who believes that it should be a simple matter to brighten our fellows' day. That doing the human thing shouldn't be discouraged.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is it that only UConn's dominance is considered bad for the game? Nobody whined when Old Dominion, Louisiana Tech & Tennessee ruled the game that I can recall. Granted Geno can be very obnoxious at times so it is easy for people to dislike him and his teams. Nonetheless UConn has raised the bar for women's college basketball excellence just like ODU, LA Tech and Tenn did in their time. Everyone should be striving to knock UConn off, not complaining about it.
Probably because there was no such thing as the internet, social media, 5000 cable channels with talking heads 24/7, televised WCBB, etc. The world is a lot different today than it was 30 years ago and it's much easier to hate a team that is successful and gets a disproportionate amount of the attention compared to whatever your local or favorite team happens to be.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Thanks to Jeff Jacobs, and congratulations to the Courant, for this superb article. Wow. Nobody does it better!

Reaction Score
I have no intention of letting this die off. I am organizing a campaign to make it go viral via Facebook. The NCAA deserves to be publicly shamed over this.

Go get 'em ice.

I am hoping that, come April, when Geno accepts the Championship trophy from some
NCAA poobah, and Holly Rowe sticks a microphone in Geno's face asking for a comment,
I am hoping that, in front of said poobah and a national television audience, Geno salts
his remarks with some appropriate wisecrack about this "affair".

. . . but he probably won't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member