Genos Message sent SC may have a chance | The Boneyard

Genos Message sent SC may have a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Gotta wonder if Stewart Tuck and Stokes were woken up. This game even though the competition wasn't the highest sends a message on how good UConn is. Why because they won by 50pts with their height and stars on the bench most of the game. I am very happy for Saniya Chong she has had a very tuff time of it and is now showing what I saw her do in HS. Gabby Williams is a star. This kid is terrific and to think she was injured for 1+ seasons in her last 2 years of HS. What does that say about Genos ability to identify talent? For me its...like Geno has a different set of eyes then most other coaches.

So SC comes in. Stewie Tuck and Stokes are big 3 sat most of the game today. What does that say for them? Will they come out on fire or will Geno sit them again. Genos not happy and with Geno its more about March then it is about now. He said he doesn't care if they lose he wants them ready for the last 6 games this season. SC may have a chance on Monday nite. I still think tomorrows practice will be tuff and some how UConn will pull it together and win. I did say by 20+ I could be wrong after watching our big three sitting the bench.

At this point in the season Saniya Kia and Mojeff are 3 terrific guards. No team has 3 guards who can do what they do. Guards make plays, and handle the offense. We've got three and that may be the difference.

I think since the conference season started UConn has been going through the motions. They know they are going to win, take it for granted in some aspects and are not completely focused. They know they are going to win by 50+ and that hurts their focus. They go through the motions not concerned about winning because its coming to easy. Today Geno sent a message and we will see on Monday who plays and who sits. Don't be surprised if UConn comes out slow and he sits them and they might even lose. He will get his message through to them because its not about winning today its about be prepared in March and winning in April. This was a wake up call. Practice will be tuff and I hope he has enough time to get them where they need to be for Monday.

I do believe UConn will win and they may win ugly on Monday. One thing is for sure. If they come out thinking they can roll over SC like some of the teams they ve been playing they will have to find a way to turn it around. I for one would like to see more tuffer opponents scheduled next season in the second half of the season to avoid having this let up which we have seen over the past few games.

Reaction Score
You promised us that UConn would kill South Carolina by 30 points, and now you say they might lose? What happened?
Its cause we want them to win, We're just fans. We know our limitations when it comes to the actual game.
SC and UConn both look pretty good.

Reaction Score
With teams well into their league schedules it is very difficult to line up quality non-league games.

Reaction Score
With teams well into their league schedules it is very difficult to line up quality non-league games.
Not it's not. ESPN controls it, more or less. Big Monday is because of ESPN, not because top teams decided on their own one day to start playing each other on random Mondays. You want to have a national TV audience for your program (and what coach doesn't)? You play in big match-ups that ESPN brokers. UConn gets on ESPN a lot because they are willing to play anyone anywhere anytime. Geno would play the Spurs if it meant one more national broadcast.

JS

Reaction Score
He said he doesn't care if they lose he wants them ready for the last 6 games this season. SC may have a chance on Monday nite. * * * Don't be surprised if UConn comes out slow and he sits them and they might even lose. He will get his message through to them because its not about winning today its about be prepared in March and winning in April.
Well, Tony, it's just about never that I come in on the optimistic side of you, so maybe I'll offer a copy of this post to the Boneyard Museum.

I think the chances that (a) he'll sit his bigs again, and (b) South Carolina will win for that or any other reason, are (a) nil, and (b) very, very slim.

So stop being such a danged pessimist.

Reaction Score
Not it's not. ESPN controls it, more or less. Big Monday is because of ESPN, not because top teams decided on their own one day to start playing each other on random Mondays. You want to have a national TV audience for your program (and what coach doesn't)? You play in big match-ups that ESPN brokers. UConn gets on ESPN a lot because they are willing to play anyone anywhere anytime. Geno would play the Spurs if it meant one more national broadcast.
Check out ESPN's Big Monday line-up ...Two non-league games , one after mid-January. Talk to your buddies at ESPN see if they can get Pop to agree to that game.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
You do not know TonyC if you think that he now thinks So. Carolina will win. TonyC continues to expect nothing less than a 30 point win... I think TonyC's real purpose of his post was to goad about how UConn could still win by 50 points with all their top post players, two of which happen to be two of his best offensie weapons, on the bench. TonyC would never forgo an opportunity to state for the public just how much better the Huskies are than anyone else out there. For TonyC, now and into the future it will always be UConn and then everyone else... :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
LOL After yesterdays what 50 pt win with Stewart Tuck and Stokes on the bench I think it is fair to say that this UConn team is really really good. With are starting height on the bench and 2 of our top scorers and UConn wins on the road by 50. I guess SC has a little something to think about. Yesterdays huge win was not luck it showed how good UConn is as a team. It reinforced to me that Geno can take players out and plug in players who know the system and they will continue to run like a machine with new parts. Imo that's what makes UConn so different then other teams and why they are such a good team. Its the team that's good and with better players Genos system runs better but after watching yesterdays game even with underclassman with lesser experience UConn continues to roll because they continue to execute Genos system. At some point other college coaches will learn his system because as we saw yesterday it didn't make that big of a scoring difference with are big 3 sitting on the bench. We still found a way to score 80 pts and hold our opponent under 40. Now some of you are thinking well our opponent wasn't that good. Well my answer to that is how many top teams play lesser talented teams and play their starters and win by 50?????

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder if Stewart Tuck and Stokes were woken up. This game even though the competition wasn't the highest sends a message on how good UConn is. Why because they won by 50pts with their height and stars on the bench most of the game. I am very happy for Saniya Chong she has had a very tuff time of it and is now showing what I saw her do in HS. Gabby Williams is a star. This kid is terrific and to think she was injured for 1+ seasons in her last 2 years of HS. What does that say about Genos ability to identify talent? For me its...like Geno has a different set of eyes then most other coaches.

So SC comes in. Stewie Tuck and Stokes are big 3 sat most of the game today. What does that say for them? Will they come out on fire or will Geno sit them again. Genos not happy and with Geno its more about March then it is about now. He said he doesn't care if they lose he wants them ready for the last 6 games this season. SC may have a chance on Monday nite. I still think tomorrows practice will be tuff and some how UConn will pull it together and win. I did say by 20+ I could be wrong after watching our big three sitting the bench.

At this point in the season Saniya Kia and Mojeff are 3 terrific guards. No team has 3 guards who can do what they do. Guards make plays, and handle the offense. We've got three and that may be the difference.

I think since the conference season started UConn has been going through the motions. They know they are going to win, take it for granted in some aspects and are not completely focused. They know they are going to win by 50+ and that hurts their focus. They go through the motions not concerned about winning because its coming to easy. Today Geno sent a message and we will see on Monday who plays and who sits. Don't be surprised if UConn comes out slow and he sits them and they might even lose. He will get his message through to them because its not about winning today its about be prepared in March and winning in April. This was a wake up call. Practice will be tuff and I hope he has enough time to get them where they need to be for Monday.

I do believe UConn will win and they may win ugly on Monday. One thing is for sure. If they come out thinking they can roll over SC like some of the teams they ve been playing they will have to find a way to turn it around. I for one would like to see more tuffer opponents scheduled next season in the second half of the season to avoid having this let up which we have seen over the past few games.
What's this Tony? Are you doubting yourself? Don't. They will come out resolved. Sympathy for SCU is in order.

Reaction Score
I don't believe any of our players would take SC lightly. That said, there are only six have-to-win games and that, I believe, is what he was looking towards yesterday. The man was just taking out an insurance policy, which may pay out tomorrow, but will definitely pay dividends in March.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Tony was (quite unnecessarily) working the mojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom