Geno's $100 Car, Assembling a Trike, And Generosity | The Boneyard

Geno's $100 Car, Assembling a Trike, And Generosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Foster and Auriemma - Hall of Fame Coaches – Meet at McKenzie Arena Tonight
Mentor and Former Assistant are 3-3 in Head to Head Meetings

Monday, November 30, 2015 - by B.B. Branton

A young basketball coach with lots of drive and knowledge but little money was in desperate need of a dependable car to get from home to work and back. A good friend gave his reliable $100 car to the coach and went out and replaced it with another $100 car.

That friend who doubled as a coach four decades ago is current UTC women’s basketball coach Jim Foster.
The young coach who received the $100 car is UConn women’s hoops coach Geno Auriemma.

The two coaches meet tonight in McKenzie Arena at 6:30 as Foster’s team (UTC, 5-2) takes on Auriemma’s team (No.1 UConn, 3-0) in one of the biggest regular season games in [Chattanooga] hoops history.

“Back in the day, we were both married, had at least one kid each, had little money and did whatever it took to survive and live day to day,” said Foster. The friendship and mutual respect goes much deeper than the game invented by James Naismith.

“We have been friends for years starting when we played intramural basketball together in junior college and then he coached for me in high school and at St. Joseph’s (Pa.) and we have taken family vacations together for several years,” stated Foster who is seven years older.

Great Coaches – Mr. Goodwrench They Are Not:

Jim Foster related a story many fathers can relate to …“When my son Christian was about three I decided to give him a tricycle for Christmas … so Geno and I go about putting the thing together and to say we met with little success is a huge understatement… basically a disaster … it never rolled smoothly, ever …

[MORE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin