Geno vs Calhoun.... pettiness! | The Boneyard

Geno vs Calhoun.... pettiness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Dimauro's an ass. Geno and JC buried the hatchet years ago. they may never be golf and vacation buddies, but i've not seen anything in years that indicates they have animosity. they respect what each other has done. Dimauro is just trying to create news by rehashing old . he's a moron.

He talks about the sniping, pettiness, and petulance between the two coaches, then offers not ONE IOTA of proof (quotes, stories, etc) to back up his point. journalism at it's worst. every time i re-read that slime i got more and more pissed. the guy is a canker sore.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
are you sure they "buried the hatchet"....what proof do you have (not calling you out personally) but would you think DiMauro is a lil closer to the action then we are?

can you imagine if they were golf buddies what that would do for UConn athletics (not that we are in a horrible position)... maybe a "practice suite".

BTW years ago? Laptop-Gate wasnt that long ago

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Well, "Laptop gate" was August, 2oo5... I guess six years isn't "years" ago to you.... how many years is?

As eric said, there's not one iota of proof of current sniping offered. And if he truly wanted to "step away" from being part of the media driven sniping, he could have written a more thoughtful essay.

And, it's ridiculous to think that Pat's illness "trumps" a foolish feud. No one with a heart that beats could wish anything but the best for Pat.

But there was nothing foolish about the feud. And, while we're more than willing to set it aside out of respect, there's no ignoring the reality of the feud.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
http://www.theday.com/article/20110825/SPORT01/308259410/-1/sport

(how do we make our links pretty again? I dont link all that ^^^^^^

Same way as before. Copy the link address, highlight a word or phrase in your post (as I did above with "make our links pretty again," hit the little chain link icon (under the return icon) and paste. -- JS

thanks JS... I'll try it when I post another story

BTW the link icon isnt active til you "highlight" the click here words

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
DiMauro is the guy who is being petty. As is all too often the case with him, he is claiming to speak in high moral terms while, in fact, polluting his column with crap.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think DiMauro may be reacting to the statement Geno issued about the "retirement" of Jeff Hathaway which included this sentence:

"At a time when we should be celebrating our athletic department's unprecedented success, it is unfortunate that a disgruntled few have chosen to focus on what is negative with our athletic department and attribute it to Jeff."

Some, apparently including DiMauro, believe the "disgruntled few" includes Calhoun, among others (boosters). If so, I don't think it warrants another column on this topic. Geno is a loyal guy. The more interesting part of Geno's statement to me was his criticism of the process that led to Hathaway's "resignation" inasmuch as the process was headed up by the new president. Fortunately, when asked, President Herbst said she "adores Geno," they spoke by phone about the situation and the issues he raised and she understands his feelings on the matter. I'm impressed with her, btw.

Reaction Score
awww, I love all the cat pics! RBNY: yours is soooo cute. What breed is s/he?

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the history between Geno & Jim, but I do think the article, from an outsider perspective, seem overly general and unsubstantiated. For such a heated topic, I would expect significantly more detail, or at least, examples of some of the writer's comments!

Since I've started following UConn WCBB, I don't recall Geno ever saying anything negative about the men's program.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score

Lots of cat photos in this thread. I don't know the breed. I found the photo on the Internet. I'll have to figure out how to make an avatar from a photo of my cat.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the history between Geno & Jim, but I do think the article, from an outsider perspective, seem overly general and unsubstantiated. For such a heated topic, I would expect significantly more detail, or at least, examples of some of the writer's comments!

Since I've started following UConn WCBB, I don't recall Geno ever saying anything negative about the men's program.
That was my point. And Cat is right about the comments Geno made. i wish he hadn't made them. it "felt" like he was taking a shot at JC, Herbst, and anyone else who wanted Hathaway out.

But instead of asking Geno for a quote, or JC for a quote, or Edsell for a quote, he goes on to talk about how Pat's illness should cause everyone to suddenly become someone different. He doesn't even point to Geno's comments as "possible proof of a shot taken at JC". he doesn't have enough guts to do that because he has no idea if it's true and he didn't bother doing any research for his article.

Frankly i think Geno never should have said what he did. he could have privately supported Hathaway if that's how he felt and kept his mouth shut publicly. i love Geno but at times he shoots from the hip. mostly it works, sometimes it does not.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
are you sure they "buried the hatchet"....what proof do you have (not calling you out personally) but would you think DiMauro is a lil closer to the action then we are?

I'm not sure DiMauro is all that close to the action, so to speak. He seems to pontificate from on high in my opinion.

I mean, this is a guy who was calling out UConn fans for not supporting Maya Moore & Co. because they weren't as white as Sue and Svet, while giving no credence to the facts that the economy sucks and ticket prices are fairly heavy.

Reaction Score
Geno always speaks his mind and I can't fault him for that. People either love him or hate him, but I don't think it matters one way or another to Geno. I have all the respect in the world for Geno because not only is he a great coach, but there is also nothing phony about him. What you see is what you get.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sorry, but none of us here is close enough to the situation to do anything but guess that Geno's comments were aimed at any of those people. There are ample numbers of people involved with the athletic program as staff or benefactors for it to have been many other folks who potentially were the FEW. Asserting such without any evidence is only doing the same thing that DiMauro did. It was wrong for him to do so without evidence or support facts and the same is true of anyone else.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sorry, but none of us here is close enough to the situation to do anything but guess that Geno's comments were aimed at any of those people. There are ample numbers of people involved with the athletic program as staff or benefactors for it to have been many other folks who potentially were the FEW. Asserting such without any evidence is only doing the same thing that DiMauro did. It was wrong for him to do so without evidence or support facts and the same is true of anyone else.

Vagueness begets speculation. Geno invited the speculation by making a vague reference to a "disgruntled few." As speculation goes, guessing at the identity of one of the "few" on this message board seems rather benign.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sorry, Cat, speculation may well be normal but it is seldom helpful.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sorry, Cat, speculation may well be normal but it is seldom helpful.

I agree. That's why public statements shouldn't invite it. One would think Geno of all people would have learned that lesson given the vague statements coming out of Knoxville the past couple of years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree. That's why public statements shouldn't invite it. One would think Geno of all people would have learned that lesson given the vague statements coming out of Knoxville the past couple of years.
Bingo. that was why i differentiated between private and public statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom