Geno turning 30 in 2013-14 | The Boneyard

Geno turning 30 in 2013-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yeah, I know: Geno is 60 years old, and he'll turn 61 before the 2014-15 season has concluded. But Geno turns 30 in a different sense. Specifically, Geno will have completed 30 seasons as head WBB coach of the University of Connecticut. That's right- 30 full seasons!

What all would Geno have accomplished in 30 seasons? Well here are some ways I can think to look at it:
  • With a relatively scant 21 more victories, Geno will reach the 900 -win plateau. He'll be averaging a 30-win season over the course of 30 seasons!
  • Yes, I know you can never assume six wins in a row in the NCAA Tournament, so yet another national championship isn't a given. But we know UConn is the preseason favorite to win another NC, and we all understand the reason for it. So maybe it won't be as forgone a conclusion as getting to 900 wins, but if UConn lives up to its preseason hype, Geno will be up to 10 NCs. You can do the math; that's one NC for every three seasons.
  • Geno has already coached his teams to 15 Final Four appearances. That means he's clinched one F4 berth every two seasons on average. Should he get to 16, he'll a) get his teams there more than half the time, and b) get within two more F4 appearances of Pat Summitt.
  • Finally, Geno's teams have produced either a regular season conference championship and/or a conference tournament championship in 23 different seasons. Should UConn make it 24, that means he'll have coached a conference champion in 80% of his seasons.
You know Geno. He's got more national championships than any other WBB coach. He's turned the Final Four into such a regular occurrence that you might as well pencil UConn in as winners of a regional tournament bracket right now (yes, right now, not March 2015). He can win 30 games each season without breaking a sweat...except he always breaks a sweat, even if his kids are up by 35 points. And he's the class of his conference, whichever conference it may be.

He's Geno Auriemma. He's the best coach in North American sports. And he turns 30 this year.

Happy birthday, you old fart.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Great post ... but I think you mean the 2014-15 season. :)

Most consecutive Final Fours:

LSU 5

Stanford 5

UConn 5

UConn 7 and counting.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Imagine what his #'s would have been if he walked into an actual decent program- and not an almost laughable doormat- his %'s would have been even more insane- if it is even possible?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Great post ... but I think you mean the 2014-15 season. :)

Most consecutive Final Fours:

LSU 5

Stanford 5

UConn 5

UConn 7 and counting.

Yes, of course I meant 2014-15. Good gravy, that was dense.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Yeah, I know: Geno is 60 years old, and he'll turn 61 before the 2014-15 season has concluded. But Geno turns 30 in a different sense. Specifically, Geno will have completed 30 seasons as head WBB coach of the University of Connecticut. That's right- 30 full seasons!

What all would Geno have accomplished in 30 seasons? Well here are some ways I can think to look at it:

• [ ]With a relatively scant 21 more victories, Geno will reach the 900 -win plateau. He'll be averaging a 30-win season over the course of 30 seasons!
    [ ]Yes, I know you can never assume six wins in a row in the NCAA Tournament, so yet another national championship isn't a given. But we know UConn is the preseason favorite to win another NC, and we all understand the reason for it. So maybe it won't be as forgone a conclusion as getting to 900 wins, but if UConn lives up to its preseason hype, Geno will be up to 10 NCs. You can do the math; that's one NC for every three seasons.
    [ ]Geno has already coached his teams to 15 Final Four appearances. That means he's clinched one F4 berth every two seasons on average. Should he get to 16, he'll a) get his teams there more than half the time, and b) get within two more F4 appearances of Pat Summitt.
    [ ]Finally, Geno's teams have produced either a regular season conference championship and/or a conference tournament championship in 23 different seasons. Should UConn make it 24, that means he'll have coached a conference champion in 80% of his seasons.
You know Geno. He's got more national championships than any other WBB coach. He's turned the Final Four into such a regular occurrence that you might as well pencil UConn in as winners of a regional tournament bracket right now (yes, right now, not March 2015). He can win 30 games each season without breaking a sweat...except he always breaks a sweat, even if his kids are up by 35 points. And he's the class of his conference, whichever conference it may be.

He's Geno Auriemma. He's the best coach in North American sports. And he turns 30 this year.

Happy birthday, you old fart.
Nicely done- great post. I love listening to Doris B, or Kara Lawson, and a few of the other announcers that are honest and in awe of the statistics, excellence, consistency, etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom