Geno Tough! Muffet Not! | The Boneyard

Geno Tough! Muffet Not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I perceive Muffet as a coach who seems to be a far more gracious winner than she is a gracious loser. Winning or losing frequently generates powerful waves of emotions in coaches (and fans). As tough a coach as Geno is perceived he has learned to successfully ride these strong emotional currents and as a result, his behavior at a presser regularly comes across to the objective viewer as both effective and appropriate regardless of the game’s result. On the other hand, Muffet seems to get completely overwhelmed by these emotional waves and as a consequence, her losing pressers often come across as ineffective, inappropriate and, at times, quite disingenuous. Since emotions have a strong influence on the way that a person acts then a coach needs to be in control of these emotions if he or she wants their presser comments to come across as relevant, classy and thoughtful. However, when a coach’s emotions control the moment, words uttered can be interpreted as clumsy, tacky and void of logical or intelligent thinking. To me it was undoubtedly difficult for a Muffet to control her disheartened emotions at the end of yet another bitter UConn loss because she lacks the inherent toughness to say the words that might best capture the superior ability of UConn. If she’s not tough enough to say it then her players will never develop the requisite toughness to play it when UConn is the opponent.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think we are being pretty hard on Muffet. Her team lost. She wanted to win. I don't think her press conference means she isn't "tough" or that her players aren't. She doesn't have to give kudos to UConn if she doesn't want to. She wants to prepare her team to beat UConn, and she is doing that the best way she knows how.

I think saying she is "overwhelmed by emotional waves" is a bit too much. Not everyone has to sing our praises all the time.

Reaction Score
Her remark about the disparity in foul shots is interesting. Notre Dame had 19 fouls and UConn 15. The disparity was when the fouls occurred. Four less fouls is not all that many. However, when you get five or more in a quarter, then the other team will shoot many more foul shots, a la UConn. Not that ND would know anything about the disparity in foul shots.

Reaction Score
Her remark about the disparity in foul shots is interesting. Notre Dame had 19 fouls and UConn 15. The disparity was when the fouls occurred. Four less fouls is not all that many. However, when you get five or more in a quarter, then the other team will shoot many more foul shots, a la UConn. Not that ND would know anything about the disparity in foul shots.
While I think some are being too hard on Muffet-her passion and emotion is likely why many top players want to play for her-any comments about "disparity of foul shots" is absurd. I watched the mugging KLS received the entire game and a ND player could have been called for hammering her almost every trip Lou took through the lane. Muffet's strategy to try to control Lou was "they won't call a foul every time down the floor so grab as much as you can get away with." Kudos to Lou for playing a controlled game and for most part taking what was given. Several clutch drives to basket resulted in clutch points when most needed.

Reaction Score
ND had 9 fouls in the fourth quarter, UConn had four. ND had 5 fouls called on them in the last 3 minutes for 8 FTs (not unusual for a team trailing by 10 points at the end of a game).

I think we can shrug off that "disparity" observation.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I watched the game and I listened to Muffet's postgame presser, I am feeling badly for her. The gameplan and executions that worked so well against Central Michigan, Fordham, UL-Lafayette and Valpo suddenly desert them at the worst possible time- against a young, undersized, on-the-road, rebuilding and in all other ways vulnerable UCONN team. Now that is bad luck.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think we are being pretty hard on Muffet. Her team lost. She wanted to win. I don't think her press conference means she isn't "tough" or that her players aren't. She doesn't have to give kudos to UConn if she doesn't want to. She wants to prepare her team to beat UConn, and she is doing that the best way she knows how.

I think saying she is "overwhelmed by emotional waves" is a bit too much. Not everyone has to sing our praises all the time.
She's suppose to bow down and kiss Geno's Converse... smh these posters!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Notre Dame tried to take away the three from UCONN. For the final 38 minutes of the game, this worked perfectly. However, this exposed Notre Dame on the inside, where their slower players did the only thing possible as the Huskies sailed by- and ended up being called for fouls.

Reaction Score
While I think some are being too hard on Muffet-her passion and emotion is likely why many top players want to play for her-any comments about "disparity of foul shots" is absurd. I watched the mugging KLS received the entire game and a ND player could have been called for hammering her almost every trip Lou took through the lane. Muffet's strategy to try to control Lou was "they won't call a foul every time down the floor so grab as much as you can get away with." Kudos to Lou for playing a controlled game and for most part taking what was given. Several clutch drives to basket resulted in clutch points when most needed.
Not to mention when the player almost broke Saniya's nose!!!!!

Reaction Score
I perceive Muffet as a coach who seems to be a far more gracious winner than she is a gracious loser. Winning or losing frequently generates powerful waves of emotions in coaches (and fans). As tough a coach as Geno is perceived he has learned to successfully ride these strong emotional currents and as a result, his behavior at a presser regularly comes across to the objective viewer as both effective and appropriate regardless of the game’s result. On the other hand, Muffet seems to get completely overwhelmed by these emotional waves and as a consequence, her losing pressers often come across as ineffective, inappropriate and, at times, quite disingenuous. Since emotions have a strong influence on the way that a person acts then a coach needs to be in control of these emotions if he or she wants their presser comments to come across as relevant, classy and thoughtful. However, when a coach’s emotions control the moment, words uttered can be interpreted as clumsy, tacky and void of logical or intelligent thinking. To me it was undoubtedly difficult for a Muffet to control her disheartened emotions at the end of yet another bitter UConn loss because she lacks the inherent toughness to say the words that might best capture the superior ability of UConn. If she’s not tough enough to say it then her players will never develop the requisite toughness to play it when UConn is the opponent.

Much of what you say has merit!! BUT!
Coaches are HUMAN and cannot all put on the face of the clown when losing or having just lost!! Some politicians have that down pat (no pun intended)--Smile and wish the winner success (all the time they are thinking; jerk, idiot, how could the voter be so stupid)
Muffet is so not well versed in being two faced--nor is GENO.
Notre Dame--believed, as many Uconn fans, that this team was just waiting to be beaten--and with glee opened up their facilities to uCONN--AND Surprise--surprise-=-ND lost!! Should she smile and say--success uconn. That's a good loser--and you know what they say about them. Muffet isn't a good loser!!

Reaction Score
ND had 9 fouls in the fourth quarter, UConn had four. ND had 5 fouls called on them in the last 3 minutes for 8 FTs (not unusual for a team trailing by 10 points at the end of a game).

I think we can shrug off that "disparity" observation.
Exactly!

Reaction Score
Muffet is a great coach. She is not Geno, though. Nobody is. ND does not seem to be as ready for these games as UConn (see: 2011 title game, which ND should have won. The 2012, 14 and 15 ND teams were just clearly overmatched in the title games).

Geno is Wooden, Muffet is Izzo. Tom Izzo is a HOF coach. That he only has one title does not mean he is not a great coach.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ugh - another thread on the same sort of topic.
Geno has two things going for him that no other coach has:

1. He has a very winning public persona, he has a very good sense of humor, and is very witty, and he has a great ability to modulate it to the audience, so he can be biting and sarcastic, and get in very subtle digs, and have the whole room laughing with him. He is a master at it. (There al a fair number of coaches that are good in these ways, but a whole lot who are not. And there remains a certain level of sexism involved in how people react to some of those qualities, especially the people who report them to the broader world.)

2. Being gracious in victory is pretty easy, and he has to be gracious in defeat a lot less frequently than pretty much any other coach in the world. And the questions you get in press conferences after victories are a bunch of softballs compared to the ones after losses so that makes it even easier to be 'charming' instead of 'defensive' or whatever other descriptors you want to apply. (He is unique in this - he has lost once in the last 3 years, 18 times or something in the last decade - that is just ridiculous!)

With so few losses, and even fewer 'important' losses to deal with, I think Geno probably enjoys the novel sensation rather than getting overly upset. I think he might have been a little more testy in the 2005-2008 era when they came more frequently, and when he was not quite as assured of his own legacy.

I think we should try being a little more gracious in victory, and leave off parsing and taking offense at everything a losing coach says in the aftermath of that loss. if you take it at face value - Muffet said nothing negative about Uconn or Geno, and complaining that she didn't heap praise on our team ... really? Do we need her approval to celebrate our victory? Seems a little petty.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ugh - another thread on the same sort of topic.
Geno has two things going for him that no other coach has:

1. He has a very winning public persona, he has a very good sense of humor, and is very witty, and he has a great ability to modulate it to the audience, so he can be biting and sarcastic, and get in very subtle digs, and have the whole room laughing with him. He is a master at it. (There al a fair number of coaches that are good in these ways, but a whole lot who are not. And there remains a certain level of sexism involved in how people react to some of those qualities, especially the people who report them to the broader world.)

2. Being gracious in victory is pretty easy, and he has to be gracious in defeat a lot less frequently than pretty much any other coach in the world. And the questions you get in press conferences after victories are a bunch of softballs compared to the ones after losses so that makes it even easier to be 'charming' instead of 'defensive' or whatever other descriptors you want to apply. (He is unique in this - he has lost once in the last 3 years, 18 times or something in the last decade - that is just ridiculous!)

With so few losses, and even fewer 'important' losses to deal with, I think Geno probably enjoys the novel sensation rather than getting overly upset. I think he might have been a little more testy in the 2005-2008 era when they came more frequently, and when he was not quite as assured of his own legacy.

I think we should try being a little more gracious in victory, and leave off parsing and taking offense at everything a losing coach says in the aftermath of that loss. if you take it at face value - Muffet said nothing negative about Uconn or Geno, and complaining that she didn't heap praise on our team ... really? Do we need her approval to celebrate our victory? Seems a little petty.

Hey gang. Muffet did single out Gabby for a performance well done (much as Lloyd Bridges and I did on another thread ;)).
And, unlike Coach P, she didn't mention her by number but by name and went over exactly what caught her attention.
Kudos were given.

MM didn't go into a full-scale love blitz because she was too busy going over what she was frustrated/disappointed with her team.... and for Irish faithful and b-ball watchers like myself, I was glad to see she was in sync with things I was yelling at the screen(one more pass, drive..and dish, "so how many times will we be like Tim Tebow and throw an entry pass into the next county?). And, while she didn't bring up names, she was none too pleased with the one-on-one antics of "our wings,"which is probably one reason why Ogunbowale and Mabrey were both out in the third quarter, a "teaching/disciplinary" move that ND almost got away with until you sealed the deal in the last minute of the third.

As MM said, if this was a one-point loss and a well-played game (on both ends), she would've been fine with it. But, in her estimation, it wasn't. UConn had a lot to do with it. The Irish didn't help their cause either. I've got to hope that we'll give a better performance next time out -- otherwise why do we care?

I liked Geno's post-game comments...they were measured, but he smiled at the end, as well he should.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hey gang. Muffet did single out Gabby for a performance well done (much as Lloyd Bridges and I did on another thread ;)).
And, unlike Coach P, she didn't mention her by number but by name and went over exactly what caught her attention.
Kudos were given.

MM didn't go into a full-scale love blitz because she was too busy going over what she was frustrated/disappointed with her team.... and for Irish faithful and b-ball watchers like myself, I was glad to see she was in sync with things I was yelling at the screen(one more pass, drive..and dish, "so how many times will we be like Tim Tebow and throw an entry pass into the next county?). And, while she didn't bring up names, she was none too pleased with the one-on-one antics of "our wings,"which is probably one reason why Ogunbowale and Mabrey were both out in the third quarter, a "teaching/disciplinary" move that ND almost got away with until you sealed the deal in the last minute of the third.

As MM said, if this was a one-point loss and a well-played game (on both ends), she would've been fine with it. But, in her estimation, it wasn't. UConn had a lot to do with it. The Irish didn't help their cause either. I've got to hope that we'll give a better performance next time out -- otherwise why do we care?

I liked Geno's post-game comments...they were measured, but he smiled at the end, as well he should.
Dillon - you meaning the ones at the end of the broadcast or have you seen video of his press conference and if so, where?

Agree - I think Muffet expressed being basically as blown away with what Gabby was doing at both ends as all of the fans were here on the boneyard. I didn't meant to slight those comments in my post, just most of the stuff about not giving Uconn as a team credit for some of the ND struggles. We got a lot of very sensitive posters here on the boneyard and they seem to need constant reinforcement of the teams qualities from all our opponents. Gets a bit tiresome! :cool:

Reaction Score
Yup Muffet did mention Gabby alright. Specifically, with Turner sitting next to her Muffet blurts out "Gabby Williams got every rebound she wanted tonight". Muffet didn't mean to slight Turner she was just stating the obvious.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Miami -- I just mean the end-of-game comments. Have not seen/heard/read any Geno presser.

Thanks for the explanation...appreciate it. If MM was not forthcoming with specific praise outside of Gabby, I'd be happy to offer three of my own:
1. I loved the way UConn attacked the boards after shots. Not only did the Huskies get some second attempts out of this, but it also kept ND out of "easy rebound, pitch out and run the break" -- something we do very well. By eliminating the break, one cuts down on fast breaks and/or open threes to wings/semi-trailers. Mabrey and Ogunbowale both thrive at this.
2. In half-court sets, UConn's defenders were very close to ND's guards and wings. I think this made the Irish have to work harder to get some space. This might've led to some tunnel vision (I've got to get free) and cut-down on the pass and cut until you get the right shot that MM stresses. MM didn't put too much credence in this but I think it affected our half-court, particularly Mabrey.
3. Getting to loose balls. It's not that UConn outhustled the Irish per se, but you had better success at getting to the balls that mattered.

So, those are Dillon's druthers for what they're worth. Might be viewed as small things, but I think they helped put a burr in ND's saddle.

Reaction Score
After 17 years of watching MM, I have never seen her so depressed and distraught. Anyone who has coached usually understands that sometimes you get beat and other times you beat yourself. With her starters from last year, her new elite players, and her winning record---plus what UConn lost---she believed strongly that this was the game to turn the tide. Her players did let her down. They did not put up a courageous fight. They made poor decisions. IMHO, MM felt they folded under pressure. She was deeply disappointed and could not even raise her head after giving short answers. She did give Gabby props. However, I can see how her team performed so poorly that they gave it away without a real fight. I understand how she felt. It was a terrible punch in the gut. (Two years ago MM took the NC loss much easier since she felt like the underdog.)
However, I am very happy with the UConn win and not sad that ND lost.
Geno was another story. The man was on the verge of tears. Tears of joy and pride in his team. He saw the fight and has more trust in his players. Final thought-- Geno gave a "WOW Hug" to Gabby. Gabby & Geno knew that Gabby fulfilled her goal for this year to be a force on the floor--all over the place. Danger got that Hug. I think Kia did too. Lou and Pheese have received overwhelming praise also. That's 5 players who could and have controlled a game this year. How can one be more impressed with what Geno & staff have done? WOW.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Miami -- I just mean the end-of-game comments. Have not seen/heard/read any Geno presser.

Thanks for the explanation...appreciate it. If MM was not forthcoming with specific praise outside of Gabby, I'd be happy to offer three of my own:
1. I loved the way UConn attacked the boards after shots. Not only did the Huskies get some second attempts out of this, but it also kept ND out of "easy rebound, pitch out and run the break" -- something we do very well. By eliminating the break, one cuts down on fast breaks and/or open threes to wings/semi-trailers. Mabrey and Ogunbowale both thrive at this.
2. In half-court sets, UConn's defenders were very close to ND's guards and wings. I think this made the Irish have to work harder to get some space. This might've led to some tunnel vision (I've got to get free) and cut-down on the pass and cut until you get the right shot that MM stresses. MM didn't put too much credence in this but I think it affected our half-court, particularly Mabrey.
3. Getting to loose balls. It's not that UConn outhustled the Irish per se, but you had better success at getting to the balls that mattered.

So, those are Dillon's druthers for what they're worth. Might be viewed as small things, but I think they helped put a burr in ND's saddle.

She needs to get off her tuffet and coach. Lots of time for change, season is early.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
However, I can see how her team performed so poorly that they gave it away without a real fight

I can go with everything you said, other than an emotion over-read on Muffet and THIS. That grossly undervalues what UConn threw at ND. They didn't fight, they lose by 40.

Muffet has to take a big piece of the humble pie for this affair. It's her job to have them ready to execute the game plan, stick to it, and adjust on the fly. What wasn't she asked? What in game adjustments did you call for? How did you address the team's starting to play one-on-one when that wasn't the plan? In hindsight would a tougher schedule leading up to this game have served your team better? Look in the mirror Muffet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom