Geno - Post Game | The Boneyard

Geno - Post Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It appears to me that Geno is getting tired of being asked about these blowout games, and/or he is tired of these blowout games.

Second, he seems to be tired of the playing time questions. It's a no win situation. If he plays the subs, then the starters don't get enough minutes. If he plays the starters, then the sub don't get enough minutes.

But, after the EC game, he seems to be developing a substitution pattern many of us agree with. ( Not implying that he cares what we think.) He said the best combination is three starters and two subs at a time. Not sure how many times he did this last night, but at least he implied that that is the current thinking of the real coaches. ( as opposed to us armchair coaches.)

The Geno show also had great information about the recruiting process. In case you missed it, Brianna Stewart was at the Duke game her junior year. She was ostensibly deciding between Duke and UConn, and possibly others. She sat right behind the UConn bench for the game. Fifteen minutes into the game, UConn was destroying Duke. Geno turned to Stewie and said, "Hey, they could use you right now." After that game, Stewart surprised Geno by telling him she wanted to go to UConn. The rest, as they say, is history.

A heartwarming story...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have the Geno show taped and am looking forward to watching it. I watched the ECU game all the way to the end last night. In addition to seeing Kiah get her first career triple-double, it was actually good to see the bench of 4 plus 1 starter be effective on both offense and defense vs. ECU.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt he cannot be happy about getting stuck in a conference where UConn can defeat teams anywhere from 50 to 100 points.

Especially coming from what was THE best conference in WBB and a conference his program helped build.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
He also seems to be using the word "mystery" with an expanding group of players, making me wonder how many mystery women the Huskies will have on the team by season's end. First Saniya (wine comparison), then Kiah (about the triple double), and I'm sure he could find a few more women of mystery around him.

Reaction Score
I think he is doing the best he can to practice for real life situation. He is substituting the bench players the way he thinks what might happen later in March. He has taken out starters most likely to foul out and using different combinations as to what might work best. It is very unlikely that all starters fouled out, so rarely did he try to get all subs together unless it is mercy killing in the last couple of minutes. He is not doing this just to make everyone happy, but it helps to keep the bench sharp as well. He is always thinking and trying to make the best of the situation. Great coach!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've had the same impression, almost like it is painful for him to be a part of the games. If you think about it, the team really doesn't gain a heck of a lot from these games. In time, being in the same league as UConn will allow a few teams to improve to the point that the games will at least be meaningful (the RU, ND and 'ville from the Big East) but until then, it's not very compelling basketball for the fans and must feel like a waste of the teams time to Geno.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The Geno show also had great information about the recruiting process. In case you missed it, Brianna Stewart was at the Duke game her junior year. She was ostensibly deciding between Duke and UConn, and possibly others. She sat right behind the UConn bench for the game. Fifteen minutes into the game, UConn was destroying Duke. Geno turned to Stewie and said, "Hey, they could use you right now." After that game, Stewart surprised Geno by telling him she wanted to go to UConn. The rest, as they say, is history.

A heartwarming story...

Is that a recruiting violation? :)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The answer (next year is too late) is to schedule only top-25 teams in the non-conference portion of the season; no bunnies.

Reaction Score
The answer (next year is too late) is to schedule only top-25 teams in the non-conference portion of the season; no bunnies.
The problem is finding enough teams willing and with complementary times available to set up such a schedule.

Reaction Score
Good luck with that when some of them are scared to play UConn.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score

He can always schedule a back to back to back to back series with the Lady Voles. Both ESPN and Holly would love that.

Reaction Score
He can always schedule a back to back to back to back series with the Lady Voles. Both ESPN and Holly would love that.
I still find it hard to believe that UConn and Tennessee used to play a home and home every season. That would never happen these days.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is that a recruiting violation? :)
Somewhere in Tennessee, a red light is now flashing.

Reaction Score
SC will have a leg up on everyone in the NC tourney after playing UConn. A good heads up and revenge on their minds. Everyone else too scared to play in the regular season will simply get steamrolled.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I still find it hard to believe that UConn and Tennessee used to play a home and home every season. That would never happen these days.
Geno agreed to it for the good of the game. He's always thinking about how to advance WCBB and what is good for the game. Kudos to him!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just suppose that UConn was in the Big 10 and was beating every team by 30-40. Would we feel better?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
YESSS!!!!!
We'd probably feel better about being in the conference. :) But, other than the Stanford hiccup, we may be 20 points better than 2-4 teams and 30-70 points better than the other 300+ teams.

Reaction Score
Just suppose that UConn was in the Big 10 and was beating every team by 30-40. Would we feel better?

Personally, yes, I would feel better. The home game attendance would also increase. I know I would rather watch us play Maryland, Rutgers, Iowa etc.. rather than S. Florida, Tulane, Temple ...
Would there be blowouts ? Yes, but at least there would be some games that would be somewhat competitive.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Geno is a competitor. He thrives on close games, making adjustments, calling plays, etc. The “thrill of victory” is not so sweet when the outcome is pre-ordained. There’s no adrenalin rush possible when you’re up by 20 ten minutes into the game. Fans all want their team to win. But the best wins are close contests with skilled opponents and the conference, at present, just doesn’t provide them.

No wonder the SC game is sold out. It’s the only remotely competitive UConn game we’ll see until the third round of the NCAA Tourney.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Geno is a competitor. He thrives on close games, making adjustments, calling plays, etc. The “thrill of victory” is not so sweet when the outcome is pre-ordained. There’s no adrenalin rush possible when you’re up by 20 ten minutes into the game. Fans all want their team to win. But the best wins are close contests with skilled opponents and the conference, at present, just doesn’t provide them.

No wonder the SC game is sold out. It’s the only remotely competitive UConn game we’ll see until the third round of the NCAA Tourney.
So Massey has UConn as a 15 point favorite with a 92% win probability hosting USCar, and an 18 point favorite with a 95% win probability visiting USF in a month.

So the difference of 3 points is what changes no-way competitive to remotely competitive? Away games always provide an extra factor of danger, and it's interesting to see what the comments about the "competitive" level were back in November when UConn had a certain road game in CA. Doesn't seem that that word came up much.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
YESSS!!!!!
Well sure for the filthy lucre, which you can never have too much of, but you do realize that sad sack B10 conference hasn't had an NC winner in this millennium, right? Just like the PAC. Now if the Big East with it's 9 total NCs came calling again with its rich tradition base . . . .

Reaction Score
Well sure for the filthy lucre, which you can never have too much of, but you do realize that sad sack B10 conference hasn't had an NC winner in this millennium, right? Just like the PAC. Now if the Big East with it's 9 total NCs came calling again with its rich tradition base . . . .
Yeah but the BE couldn't offer football money and the financial and regulatory opportunity to compete with the P5 in future recruiting with full-cost-of-attendance scholarships

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah but the BE couldn't offer football money and the financial and regulatory opportunity to compete with the P5 in future recruiting with full-cost-of-attendance scholarships
Football, schmootball, it's WCBB that drives the bus on the BY #4 forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom