Geno on the recruiting trail | The Boneyard

Geno on the recruiting trail

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Found this tidbit in SNY's latest piece:

Auriemma admitted he was tired after working with the Huskies and the Team USA training camp. But that didn't stop him from hopping on a plane Thursday morning to go watch Mikayla Coombs, a 5-8 junior guard from Norcross, Georgia.

https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/pulido-set-to-step-into-senior-spotlight/165453226
Interesting that Geno is still looking at a guard (Coombs) in 2017 with Dangerfield coming in '16, AEH in 17 and Williams already offered in '18.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Interesting that Geno is still looking at a guard (Coombs) in 2017 with Dangerfield coming in '16, AEH in 17 and Williams already offered in '18.

Stunned is the word for me. I had all but marked Coombs off the wish list. I like her game and she's been getting better and better this year after recovering from the ACL surgery.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Coombs had 20 points, 12 rebs, and 10 assists in a recent playoff game. She's a stat sheet stuffer.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe he realizes he's just not going to be landing any post players and he wants to play a more uptempo guard oriented game - like ND...

Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder if coaches make feints toward players they're not going to make offers to, just to get competitors to put more time into that recruitment and be soft elsewhere, or to hide true intentions, or to be able to flatter another recruit with: "I looked closely at "x", but I'd rather make an offer to you." I'm sure there's a lot of gaming that goes on, and we probably can't know much about how he builds his team until the offer is made and accepted. Even then, there are always moving parts.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Wesleyan won in a rout with Geno in attendance.

Coombs' stats from today:

22 points, 7 rebounds, 10 steals, 3 threes

Reaction Score
I was pleasantly surprised to see that he went to see Coombs. Haven't anything about her since they did a home visit. I hope we are going to be surprised again when we hear it reported that he goes to see Jade Williams play too!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think he likes Honesty Scott-Grayson too.

I'm guessing that Coach needs more miles to up his frequent flyer elite status.

Reaction Score
You guys think at this stage Geno is bothering with recruiting gamesmanship? Do you think the school would waste money having the coach of a money losing program fly all over just to trick other coaches? Do you think Geno who is already tired would waste time playing games like that?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As one poster said trying to understand which way a recruit will go is like reading tea leaves. Trust our Geno to hedge his bets. And I see AEH and Williams as 2 guard's, not PG's.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Coco and Slu. While I've got you two. Any news on the JC or Euro front or are these avenues pretty much dead for 2017 or 18?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Wait. He wouldn't have snuck in to peek at Kushkituah as well would he (fingers maybe crossed)?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Coco and Slu. While I've got you two. Any news on the JC or Euro front or are these avenues pretty much dead for 2017 or 18?

I don't have any inside info on anything really. Haven't found anything about UConn interest in foreign or JC players but then it's been pretty quiet on the recruiting front for a while.

I just keep thinking how deep the backcourt would be if they brought in Coombs as well. Geno doesn't particularly care about labels though, and outside of PG and Center/PF all other positions sorta blur into one another.

17': Dangerfield, Bent, AEH, Nurse, G Williams (at least defensively), Coombs

18': Dangerfield, Bent, AEH, Coombs, ???? (*Christyn Williams) *hopeful

And this doesn't include KLS who probably plays wing in these lineups. Again, maybe labels are irrelevant with these rosters.

Reaction Score
Wait. He wouldn't have snuck in to peek at Kushkituah as well would he (fingers maybe crossed)?

No, they played at the same time, 125 miles apart.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't have any inside info on anything really. Haven't found anything about UConn interest in foreign or JC players but then it's been pretty quiet on the recruiting front for a while.

I just keep thinking how deep the backcourt would be if they brought in Coombs as well. Geno doesn't particularly care about labels though, and outside of PG and Center/PF all other positions sorta blur into one another.

17': Dangerfield, Bent, AEH, Nurse, G Williams (at least defensively), Coombs

18': Dangerfield, Bent, AEH, Coombs, ???? (*Christyn Williams) *hopeful

And this doesn't include KLS who probably plays wing in these lineups. Again, maybe labels are irrelevant with these rosters.
Add in Megatron and it's really, really, really good. I haven't given up on Megan.

Reaction Score
Stunned is the word for me. I had all but marked Coombs off the wish list. I like her game and she's been getting better and better this year after recovering from the ACL surgery.
I was surprised too. She reportedly has a scholarship offer from Uconn dating from late 2014.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I was surprised too. She reportedly has a scholarship offer from Uconn dating from late 2014.

If he's going to see her a day after a game and two days after USA practice he must be very interested. That's a lot of travel and work for someone not exactly young.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Add in Megatron and it's really, really, really good. I haven't given up on Megan.

I haven't either. I just think she fits more of a wing type and didn't want to cram the list anymore than I already did.

Reaction Score
If he's going to see her a day after a game and two days after USA practice he must be very interested. That's a lot of travel and work for someone not exactly young.
Must be a high mutual interest. If she is strongly interested in Uconn, I would expect her to make an official visit in April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom