Geno On Texas Game Strategy and Natalie | The Boneyard

Geno On Texas Game Strategy and Natalie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From another thread:
Well that was fun. Texas is pretty good and very big and they have one pesky point guard.
1. Really glad to see Uconn running that foul line curl for Lou - it is unstoppable and she should be as good with it as Maya was.
2. Thought the refs were weird tonight - didn't really affect the game that much, but very physical game with lots of tickytack fouls called while a bunch of the big ones were missed.
3. Natalie is a critical member of this team - complain all you want but we probably would have lost three games already without her.
4. Thought Texas ran out of gas at the end of the third. Their bigs were not a factor in the fourth.
5. Kia kept her rhythm from the DePaul game. Napheesa and Gabby continued being brilliant. Thought Dangerfield got seriously exposed as a freshman in this one - her defense was pretty much a swinging door.

On the money, Miami ...per Geno.

Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield has some growing to do but will be a force in the near future.
They say that a rookie ML baseball player needs to have around 500 at bats before being able to really handle a curve ball. There is no shortcut to acclimating to defending against the top talent in D-1 WCBB. Crystal's certainly quick enough and tough enough. She just needs the repetitions, as they say, to be able to have the game slow down a bit for her and for her to have seen enough to anticipate movement. Once league competition starts, she should get plenty of that.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
After watching this game at the Sun I can attest that Natalie took quite some abuse under the basket. A lot of "should have been called" that wasn't. My bet she is going to feel it tomorrow. I didn't see the final stats but I believe the 1st half rebounds were something like 14-4, not for the good guys. I don't think we would have won without her. When she was in it was easy to double on their bigs in the post. I give here an attaboy for this game!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brooke McCarty is an 1st team all Big 12 and a junior, she did what she was supposed to do against a freshman, Dangerfield will be fine. She got her ass kicked bad, which is what her coach asked for....
She had 15 points agains the National Defensive Player of the Year last year. McCarty reminds me of Leilani Mitchell--small, quick, and deadly from distance.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
After watching this game at the Sun I can attest that Natalie took quite some abuse under the basket. A lot of "should have been called" that wasn't. My bet she is going to feel it tomorrow. I didn't see the final stats but I believe the 1st half rebounds were something like 14-4, not for the good guys. I don't think we would have won without her. When she was in it was easy to double on their bigs in the post. I give here an attaboy for this game!

Iron sharpens iron. Texas was a great precursor game for UConn to prepare them for Notre Dame. UConn had to work hard, and battle their BIGS the entire game. UConn had to go on a 12-0 run after the Longhorns had cut the lead to 2. You're right. Natalie took a lot of abuse today. It got her ready for Wednesday. Unlike the game Notre Dame played today. They played a very soft "cupcake" in Valparaiso who they just Pimp slapped for 40 minutes. ND jumped out to a 26-0 lead to begin the game, and never looked back. Playing a cupcake before a big opponent as UConn could be costly. That game today did nothing to help ND prepare for UConn.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Iron sharpens iron. Texas was a great precursor game for UConn to prepare them for Notre Dame. UConn had to work hard, and battle their BIGS the entire game. UConn had to go on a 12-0 run after the Longhorns had cut the lead to 2. You're right. Natalie took a lot of abuse today. It got her ready for Wednesday. Unlike the game Notre Dame played today. They played a very soft "cupcake" in Valparaiso who they just Pimp slapped for 40 minutes. ND jumped out to a 26-0 lead to begin the game, and never looked back. Playing a cupcake before a big opponent as UConn could be costly. That game today did nothing to help ND prepare for UConn.

As i wrote in a different thread, Let's compare notes after the game.
Playing Patsy's has worked well for Duke and Maryland this season.
There may be more than one way to scramble eggs.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
UConn normally plays a cupcake before a big game...

Carnac

Reaction Score
UConn normally plays a cupcake before a big game...

Really ? Like #14 Texas today? :confused: They were ranked #8 in the preseason.

Carnac

Reaction Score
There's only one way to scramble eggs. You just have to scramble the eggs

That same philosophy is also employed when making "Tiger" stew. First, you must catch the tiger. :eek:

Reaction Score
That same philosophy is also employed when making "Tiger" stew. First, you must catch the tiger. :eek:
That's what the Irish will have to do: catch the tiger with their bare hands and a basketball. This is not going to go well for ND. Home is the worst place to catch a tiger. Don't try this at home.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW my $.02. I also thought Nat did a great job. She didn't just clog the lane - she played effective defense in the lane and on the Texas bigs. She didn't score a lot of points, but she was important in making it much less easy for Texas to score around the basket. I thought it was a great example of a player not having huge stats, but impacting the game in an important way...

Reaction Score
With 2:36 left in the 3rd quarter with the score 51 to 49 Gen0 sent Natalie in to replace Crystal. The lineup of Kia, Natalie, Gabby, Napheesa and Lou played the rest of the game without substitution until the last minute, when Geno cleared the bench. They outscored Texas 21 to 5.:)
I think Geno has found his lineups for the the Season now that Natalie has shown him what she is capable of in big games, IMO. For teams that have big and athletic 'Bigs' at the 4 & 5 positions such (Texas, Baylor or USC), a lineup of Nat, Pheese, Gabby, Lou and Kia works best. Though she may not start, Nat's presence inside frees Pheese and Gabby to show their athletic abilities on both defense and offense. For 'smallish' and athletic/quick teams (ala Dayton and ND), he has Pheese, Gabby, Lou, Kia and Saniya/Crystal. As long as they stay out of foul trouble I think he has the horses to handle all comers the rest of the way. Regarding offense, I especially like Lou's 'tight curls' around screens from her Bigs (Pheese or Nat) for those mid-range jumpers. She was deadly against Texas in the 2nd Half when those plays were called for her. Initially Texas crowding and literally mugging her seemed to work until she started to move actively around screens to shoot those mid-range. Those were money and I loved every bit of it.
About the ND game, I think ND will try Texas' strategy against Lou by getting underneath her and trying to muscle her with the intention of bothering her shots or drawing fouls on her. It was tried with Westbeld against Stewie last year without success. She has to just be calm and keep moving like she did in the 2nd half of the Texas game.

Reaction Score
I have watched the Texas game 3 times now. A couple of things. The NCAA supposedly has gone out of their way to free the offensive player to make cuts and to generally " clean up" the game. Really ? I just laugh at the announcers. There is a difference between " physicality" and the blatant constant holding and grabbing and pushing that was obviously the Texas game plan. One of the worst case of officiating I have seen in a long time !
Saniya just looked totally disconnected to me. In the half court sets, she dribbled a couple times , passed the ball, and then just hung out and watched from one side of the floor opposite the ball. Is this by design ?
The lineup of Butler, Collier, KLS, Gabby and Kia has by far the best floor balance. Even if Natalie does not score , she frees up Collier, KLS and Gabby to take advantage of mismatches on the offensive end , and create more havic on the perimeter.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
With 2:36 left in the 3rd quarter with the score 51 to 49 Gen0 sent Natalie in to replace Crystal. The lineup of Kia, Natalie, Gabby, Napheesa and Lou played the rest of the game without substitution until the last minute, when Geno cleared the bench. They outscored Texas 21 to 5.:)
However, in the Baylor game, the exact opposite happened. Natalie replaced Napheesa when she got her 4th foul in the second half. UConn had a lead at the top, but Baylor chipped away at it and got to a tie of 54-54. Geno pulled Natalie and brought back Napheesa despite her four fouls, and she played great at both ends. Before long, the score was 72-58 UConn and the game was over. So that was an 18-4 run.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have watched the Texas game 3 times now. A couple of things. The NCAA supposedly has gone out of their way to free the offensive player to make cuts and to generally " clean up" the game. Really ? I just laugh at the announcers. There is a difference between " physicality" and the blatant constant holding and grabbing and pushing that was obviously the Texas game plan. One of the worst case of officiating I have seen in a long time !
Saniya just looked totally disconnected to me. In the half court sets, she dribbled a couple times , passed the ball, and then just hung out and watched from one side of the floor opposite the ball. Is this by design ?
The lineup of Butler, Collier, KLS, Gabby and Kia has by far the best floor balance. Even if Natalie does not score , she frees up Collier, KLS and Gabby to take advantage of mismatches on the offensive end , and create more havic on the perimeter.
On Saniya - yes, I think it is by design. Not always, but often the Uconn sets include one player who is floating at the arc to provide an outlet option/reset if the ball gets stuck - and it is often on the off side. While the idea is to keep constant motion on offense, it can become congested if you have all five players cutting through the lane all the time. Maria Conlon often float at the arc as well, KML too. You think, well that makes it easy on the defense, but it is amazing how often an assigned player gets drawn in towards the lane, and then loses that floater as they concentrate on the ball movement.

I have been impressed at how well Butler has played in man defense outside the lane - they often go to zone with her in, but against DePaul she played a lot of man switching on screens twenty feet from the basket and was not 'exposed'. It helped that DePaul was not moving the ball as quickly as they normally do, but she held up really well.

I think the team has done quite well with spacing with all the line-ups. Butler helps by being perhaps the best screen setter on the team, and unlike Dolson and Kiah before her, she hasn't been called for any moving screens that I can remember - she makes herself big, and holds her position long enough before rolling and doesn't try to compensate for the other player not cutting close enough to her with a thrust hip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom