Geno moves to dismiss Hardwick lawsuit | The Boneyard

Geno moves to dismiss Hardwick lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Geno and USA Basketball both filed motions today to dismiss the case. I guess the action now gets hot and heavy.

For those who want to see the filings (they aren't very interesting, mostly pro forma), click the link below; enter the code provided on the site and click "search"; enter Auriemma in "defendant search" and click "search"; and finally click on the index number for the Hardwick case:

ALL YE WHO WILL ENTER!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The site for online filings in the case shows only a motion to dismiss by USA Basketball, though a similar motion will surely be filed today by Geno's lawyers as well. As was discussed in a thread soon after the lawsuit was filed, it was anticipated that both Geno and USAB would move to dismiss based on a lack of subject matter jurisdiction. That's precisely what USAB has done in its motion and we can expect a similar motion on behalf of Geno. The plaintiff's lawyer was surely aware of these flaws in the complaint and chose to file under NY and NYC law anyway. The NBA will also likely seek dismissal of parts of the complaint (removal from the WNT Olympic assignment), but will probably need to file an answer wrt other allegations of employment discrimination in the complaint.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It doesn't seem like it's really impacted anything at this point. as a side note, anyone know what she did during the Olympics? IIRC she was supposed to be on Stearn's detail, which apparently was a step up from covering the USA W National team...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It doesn't seem like it's really impacted anything at this point. as a side note, anyone know what she did during the Olympics? IIRC she was supposed to be on Stearn's detail, which apparently was a step up from covering the USA W National team...

I believe she worked security for the Men's National Team in London.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Clearly, guarding Coach K and LeBron is a step down from guarding Geno and Diana. :D

Indeed and undoubtedly resulted in mental anguish for which the plaintiff is owed compensatory damages. How much? Hmmmm

dr-evil.jpg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The NBA's Answer has been filed (posted to the site) and in it the NBA denies the plaintiff's allegations and requests for relief.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Clearly, guarding Coach K and LeBron is a step down from guarding Geno and Diana. :D

I would much rather guard Geno and DT.

Wait, are we talking about on the basketball court? Who am I kidding? I can't guard my grandma.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As expected, Geno's lawyers filed a motion to dismiss the complaint arguing:

• Court has no personal jurisdiction over Geno (Geno is CT resident);
  • Alleged conduct occurred outside NY and no employment consequences in NY thus not governed by NY and NYC laws;
  • Plaintiff provided Olympic security for both NBA and WNBA players in London and hence suffered no adverse employment consequences by alleged conduct;
  • No causal connection between her alleged protected activity and alleged adverse employment action;

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As expected, Geno's lawyers filed a motion to dismiss the complaint arguing:

• Court has no personal jurisdiction over Geno (Geno is CT resident);
  • Alleged conduct occurred outside NY and no employment consequences in NY thus not governed by NY and NYC laws;
  • Plaintiff provided Olympic security for both NBA and WNBA players in London and hence suffered no adverse employment consequences by alleged conduct;
  • No causal connection between her alleged protected activity and alleged adverse employment action;
Isn't that kind of a disappointing motion? Basically, you're saying the court has no jurisdiction over you or the incident, and the damages claimed are specious. While both of those points may be valid, and although "I didn't freaking do anything" may not be an admissible point at this stage, I just worry that some will interpret this as trying to make the suit go away on a technicality rather than because nothing happened.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Isn't that kind of a disappointing motion? Basically, you're saying the court has no jurisdiction over you or the incident, and the damages claimed are specious. While both of those points may be valid, and although "I didn't freaking do anything" may not be an admissible point at this stage, I just worry that some will interpret this as trying to make the suit go away on a technicality rather than because nothing happened.

Disappointing? "May be valid points"? It would be legal malpractice not to file this motion. Personal and subject matter jurisdiction and failure to allege adverse employment action (damages) are more than "valid points" and more than mere "technicalit[ies];" they're essential tenets of any legal action. If you're a defendant in a legal action you'll gladly sacrifice your day in court in exchange for getting a flawed complaint thrown out of court, which is exactly what should happen here. Geno has responded with a denial and that may have to be enough. Then again, the NBA did not file a move to dismiss so there's still a chance that Geno could end up being deposed in the discovery process in that part of the complaint.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Thanks for the clarification. I understand the rationale- really more of not wanting there to be a perception issue. Then again, I suppose people will believe what they want regardless of how exonerated the judicial process does or does not leave one.

U

UCONNfan1

Thanks for the clarification. I understand the rationale- really more of not wanting there to be a perception issue. Then again, I suppose people will believe what they want regardless of how exonerated the judicial process does or does not leave one.
I totally hear you. The casual fan would probably prefer "please dismiss because she was simply wrong, and the lawsuit smacks of ridiculousness on the part of the paintiff", or something like that.

Unfortunately, as Cat pointed out, that is not a valid motion for the defense to file...

Reaction Score

Getting to a fact-based judgement in a civil suit...specious or not...consumes a lot of time and a lot of money. If Geno can squash this, he should.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Your reaction was pretty normal. Everyone wants their "day in court" but it is far better to prevail without the cost and delay of trial. Most people come to that conclusion eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom