Geno has something to say to Caroline doubters | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno has something to say to Caroline doubters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thats just coaching. I am not a hater, and admire her perseverence (and feel sorrow for what her potential was). However, she does not provide anything on offense or defense to elevate the team. In most games it is fine because the other offensive talent overwhelms the opponent and masks her weakness.

But where weaknesses show, as they surely always do, is against the elite teams. She cannot matchup with oddysey sims or Diggins. She gets exposed off the dribble and cannot generate anything on offense. Having a pg that struggles to create offense on the bounce kills end of shot clock sequences and she really hurts the team there. If you are looking at why we cannot close games that is our problem.

With that diagnoses over, I hope she has the games of her life in the next 4, hits some big shots and finishes ger career with performances that make us eternally wonder, what if?

sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk
I think that despite her limitations Caroline Doty has done quite a bit in those games to stabilize the team under an onslaught of defensive pressure. She runs the offense pretty efficiently despite her physical shortcomings. Geno isn't out to screw up his team's chances for another title by allowing someone whose incapable of performing to run the point. Obviously he feels that she may be the best option because of her cool head and her knowledge of how the offense is meant to be run. The fact that you would assume Geno would have her out there if he felt that "she really hurts the team there" is lunacy, indeed. As much as he loves her as a person and a gritty kid, you seriously believe he would jeopardize the team's winning to show his affection?????? What better options do you think he has???? Bria has played less than stellar ball, with turnovers and hesitation and poor shooting. We all hope she comes out of it but she isn't A POINTGUARD and our freshman from Texas has shown flashes but she isn't really ready for the stretch against the best of the best.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"I'm fully aware of what Geno has said about the insecurities he felt as an immigrant kid.

Then why take issue with the comment I made if it's true? Did you really believe my comment was based on nothing? Although I don't think you have to be a shrink to figure out the source of some of his behavior.

I have watched Auriemma for 20 years. I admire and respect what he's done for women's basketball. Sometimes he cracks me up, often he impresses me, he has occasionally left me dumbfounded and sometimes on rare occasions, he has pissed me off.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Not a new phenomena (unfortunately). I guess you've forgotten the posts that said they "could tell" that player X was clinically depressed just by looking at her demeanor on the bench, OR that PHS "must be" far along in her dementia based on how she looked/acted during the games.

We have no shortage of "experts".

You guys are confusing "experts" with a poster offering an opinion. The rub is that there is a segment of BY posters that would like to stifle those opinions that they find disagreeable.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You guys are confusing "experts" with a poster offering an opinion. The rub is that there is a segment of BY posters that would like to stifle those opinions that they find disagreeable.
By stifle, you mean disagree with. I haven't seen any censorship.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Shouldn't this discussion include Bria and her reassignment?
Isn't that the real issue?

Reaction Score

You know what Geno must have meant was fans posting 8 times on the same GD subject. I know I am tired of reading your posts. I know delete.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
By stifle, you mean disagree with. I haven't seen any censorship.

No I don't mean disagree. I'm a fan of disagree. I mean stifle. Mostly by personal attacks.

There is no censorship here because the mods won't censor unless BY rules are violated. There are people here that would prefer that no criticism ever be posted and anything that they consider negative should be banned.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
No I don't mean disagree. I'm a fan of disagree. I mean stifle. Mostly by personal attacks.

There is no censorship here because the mods won't censor unless BY rules are violated. There are people here that would prefer that no criticism ever be posted and anything that they consider negative should be banned.

How many times do you need to say this? Your point is made and taken.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
How many times do you need to say this? Your point is made and taken.

OZ - Is the point off the mark? If it were there wouldn't be anything to discuss. I post something about Autiemma being insecure and a couple of posters crap all over me. Shouldn't I be able to respond?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
For some reason CD has become a lightning rod for criticism on the BY this year. I am not going to defend the way she has played (or not played) but I find it interesting that there has been relatively little criticism of Hartley's year. Hartley is an All-American, Caroline is not. Yes, Hartley was injured but she hasn't had three knee surgeries. If Uconn is going to compete for the NC it needs Hartley to perform at close to 100%, not Caroline.

Reaction Score
Tell it, Coach. Solid, supportive comments. And give her the green light to go beyond two misses. She can make a few in a row and be a difference maker.

Yet in private he is not very nice.

Reaction Score
You know what Geno must have meant was fans posting 8 times on the same GD subject. I know I am tired of reading your posts. I know delete.

Dont forget to count the many multiple posts of others on certain threads.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
For some reason CD has become a lightning rod for criticism on the BY this year. I am not going to defend the way she has played (or not played) but I find it interesting that there has been relatively little criticism of Hartley's year. Hartley is an All-American, Caroline is not. Yes, Hartley was injured but she hasn't had three knee surgeries. If Uconn is going to compete for the NC it needs Hartley to perform at close to 100%, not Caroline.

Pap - Did you consider that the board in general is much more sensitive to any criticism of Doty for exactly the reasons you cited? If every critical post of Doty, and I believe that for the most part they aren't as critical as some here perceive them, had a short, mandatory preamble about what she's been through and how much she has contributed maybe they would be more acceptable to those that consider them unwarranted attacks.

Is Hartley injured?

Reaction Score

Are you kidding me?

Caroline has had it easy next to Bria.

I'd actually wager to say that the boneyard is not where Geno is seeing his criticisms of Caroline. Sure, there are some, but I think the majority of us fall into one of three categories. "She should play because she makes the team better," "She should play because she's earned the right to play," and "Jeez, I wish she could play because if there's a kid that deserves some success this year its Caroline, but realistically she hurts the team when she's in the game."

There's a part of me that is in group 3. But a bigger part of me is in category 2. I don't care if Caroline ends up not being good enough to play against the best teams. She's earned the right to do it, and if we lose well..there are more important things in life than winning a championship.

I know some will say I'm only saying that because it's "women's basketball." But that's not true. This is the college game. A game where coaches are supposed to teach players about more than just winning. Caroline's loyalty, dedication, and hard work deserves loyalty in return.

I suspect Geno feels the same. But he's not going to admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom