Geno COY (merged) | The Boneyard

Geno COY (merged)

Reaction Score
With the talent he has that can not play and so few healthy bodies I would take him over all others including unbeaten and practically invincible South Carolina. This just might be his best work ever. The man is a legend and his native Philly should put his statue next to Rocky.

Reaction Score
With the talent he has that can not play and so few healthy bodies I would take him over all others including unbeaten and practically invincible South Carolina. This just might be his best work ever. The man is a legend and his native Philly should put his statue next to Rocky.
I can't believe that these idiot voters don't have Geno on their final list. No other team in the country can do what Uconn has done with 7 players and most are freshman.

Reaction Score
Funny.... Iowa's coach is on the list. They had 1 less loss, a loss to an unranked team and a full line-up. Go figure!

Reaction Score
I can't believe that these idiot voters don't have Geno on their final list. No other team in the country can do what Uconn has done with 7 players and most are freshman.
Agree 100%. But all the other coaches, if they are true to the game, knows GENO is the coach of the year. The way he motivates his players to excel in adversity is astounding and cannot be taught, it has to come from with-in and GENO has it in spades. We HUSKY fans don't need polls to know there is only ONE Geno and we have him. GO GENO!!!! GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIE!!!!

Reaction Score
This is Coach Geno's fFinest Hour. In all of his Final Four appearances and National Championships, he's never faced the hardships that this team has faced. Think of it: Five of his top seven players are out for the season, and either never played, or were injured early on in the season:

Presumed starting post player- Jana El Alfi
Certain starting guard- Azzi Fudd
Starting wing- Caroline Ducharmes
First off the bench/first front-court substitute and guaranteed spark plug- Aubrey Griffin
Second front-court sub- Ayanna Patterson

So not only was the team small to begin with, but it became one of the shortest teams to be ranked and make the tournament. 6'3" Aaliyah Edwards had no business playing the post, being a natural power forward. Plus, 6'3" Ice Brady was returning from serious knee injury, played few minutes, and was a non-factor most of the season. Amari DeBerry, though 6'5", was always a non-factor, and rarely even got off the bench. She, too, is down for the season with lingering symptoms from a concussion.

Yet Coach Geno coached this team into the Final Four, though on paper it has no business being there. It's brilliant coaching, perhaps the very best of his entire career.

SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Funny.... Iowa's coach is on the list. They had 1 less loss, a loss to an unranked team and a full line-up. Go figure!

They don't have a full lineup--they lost Molly Davis for the tournament due to injury and still made it back to the Final Four with far less heralded recruits than any other team in the Elite 8. Bluder deserves to be a finalist.

Reaction Score
They will never give Geno the award again... I think folks are generally jealous and route for UConn's failure most of the time. I think there is also a tag through the years that he gets the best players so his job isn't that hard.. if people buy into that, they'll never vote for him so we see the lists we get each year.

Reaction Score
They don't have a full lineup--they lost Molly Davis for the tournament due to injury and still made it back to the Final Four with far less heralded recruits than any other team in the Elite 8. Bluder deserves to be a finalist.
Many BYRs don’t think Bluder should not be on the list. Instead, we’re saying, Geno should also be a finalist, based on what he and his staff have done with this year’s depleted roster. But we understand why he’s not — it’s UCONN.

Reaction Score
Posted before...

There's 8 players who suit up and are able to play for the team. Let's respect Ines. She's a contributor, and will do so when her time comes. All the wonderful women/persons on the team have gone through the rigors of the program, knowing what is expected of them.

Reaction Score
Geno is a great recruiter, and he is a great game planner, and he is a great in game adjustment coach. Where I think he is not strong is his substitution strategy in game but quite frankly he has his hands full with everything else he is doing very well. What I don't get is why one of his assistants isn't in charge of the substitutions. Every time UConn was forced to play deep into the bench, the bench responded and without them last night they would not have won that game.

With that said I didn't see any coaches on the list that didn't have fantastic players and a healthy bench. UConn also has great players on the court and many great players out with injury so Geno had to make the most adjustments to get to the end and make the Final 4. But if you look at his career he has more NC than National Coach of the Year awards which is shocking to me.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Personally, I'm happy to see Geno poised to pass Tara in all time wins. I don't see Stanford running roughshod over the ACC next year, especially after traveling across the country for half their games. The wear and tear may well take a toll on Tara. Either way, I hope Geno passes Tara next year, because he deserves it.

Reaction Score
Personally, I'm happy to see Geno poised to pass Tara in all time wins. I don't see Stanford running roughshod over the ACC next year, especially after traveling across the country for half their games. The wear and tear may well take a toll on Tara. Either way, I hope Geno passes Tara next year, because he deserves it.
Will it really? I mean, anymore than other schools are already traveling? Yes, it's a longer distance than most but there many teams other teams that travel long distances. Plus, a large portion of travel is waiting in Airports. TRAVEL TIME WISE is it much different from San Fran to Atlanta than Miami to Boston? 4:30 hours to 3:15 hours.

Of course, West to East causes more jet lag than South to North in the same time zone so I think I just answered my own question.

240nf3.jpg

Reaction Score
Posted before...

There's 8 players who suit up and are able to play for the team. Let's respect Ines. She's a contributor, and will do so when her time comes. All the wonderful women/persons on the team have gone through the rigors of the program, knowing what is expected of them.
But she’s just not. She’s not a contributor. Sure she contributes to being a great teammate, but let’s be honest he did this with 7 players. And I really don’t see her time coming at UCONN with all the guards we already have and have coming in. I like Ines but she saw less time this year than she did last year.

Reaction Score
Will it really? I mean, anymore than other schools are already traveling? Yes, it's a longer distance than most but there many teams other teams that travel long distances. Plus, a large portion of travel is waiting in Airports. TRAVEL TIME WISE is it much different from San Fran to Atlanta than Miami to Boston? 4:30 hours to 3:15 hours.

Of course, West to East causes more jet lag than South to North in the same time zone so I think I just answered my own question.

240nf3.jpg
@visitingcock, you’re too funny.

Reaction Score
USC and NC St.
Much wasn't expected from either program, who both played in tough conferences. Especially the Pac 12. Geno gets my nod solely because he played a ridiculous early season Non Conference schedule that I believe prepared his team for this Tourney Run.

1a. Lindsay gottlieb
1a. Geno
3. Wes Moore
4. Lisa Bluder
5. Scott Rueck
6. Niele Ivey

Reaction Score
For Geno not to even be on the list is such a travesty that one has to believe it’s intentional! To take the roster that he has all the way to the final four is an accomplishment that has likely never been done and almost certainly will never be repeated!
Travesty: a false, absurd, or distorted representation of something. Noun

Reaction Score
Posted before...

The is a line from a John Milton sonnet that describes Inès' contribution. (The whole poem: Sonnet 19: When I consider how my light is spent… | Poetry Foundation)
and the last line:
"They also serve who only stand and wait."
I love that line!

Reaction Score
If Geno did, despite he was not a candidate on the COY list, he will be a WRITE IN CANDIDATE that wins it ! ! ! Any arguments there ? !

Reaction Score
You're asking if there will be arguments on the Boneyard?! :eek:

Reaction Score
It's criminal that he was omitted from consideration, but realistically he's not going to win as a write-in candidate even if they win the whole thing. Just getting this group of undersized over-achievers feels like a Hoosiers moment though.....

Reaction Score
Factually,Geno is not a poet, rather an "humorist", someone who likes to play with words

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom