Geno Auriemma: "Mr. Women's Basketball"

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by sarals24, Mar 22, 2012.

1. vowelguy

vowelguy AEIOU

Actually, she co-authored it with Geno.

Geno-ista likes this.
  2. vowelguy

vowelguy AEIOU

Yeah, and when they're full adults and aren't getting a free college education, they can talk however they want.

3. UConnCat

UConnCat Wise Woman

True, and the original source of the anecdotes is Geno, not Jackie MacMullen. Why would Jordan need to credit MacMullen when he's interviewing the co-author of the book and, btw, the original source of the stories? I thought it odd that Jordan didn't refer to MacMullen by name, (he referred to her as "a Boston sportswriter"), but maybe that's a sportswriter thing. There has to be something else behind Jenkins' tweet.

Icebear likes this.
  4. Icebear

Icebear Andlig Ledare

Very true. Mostly it is an indication of limited vocabulary or an attempt at shock value.

5. Ozzie Nelson

Ozzie Nelson ImPoster

"4 years and a sociology major, how in God's name do you not get your degree?!"

...that cracked me up.

6. Ozzie Nelson

Ozzie Nelson ImPoster

7. DobbsRover2

DobbsRover2 Slap me 10

Well, as Shea Ralph says in the piece, "UConn basketball wasn't for fun. There was a bigger picture here."

The Huskies find ways to get their fun, but let's not kid ourselves that it's fun and games most of the time. Playing BB for UConn requires intense sacrifice, effort, dedication, and the willingness to absorb a lot of pain. The goal is the NC, and that's what's required.

8. DobbsRover2

DobbsRover2 Slap me 10

In defense of DT, that was an incredibly hectic time in the spring of 2004 for her. Besides leading UConn to the NC, receiving tons of awards and having to be hopping between ceremonies, being picked 1st by the WNBA and the resulting plane flights for all of that, there was one other major thing. She was selected in May for the 2004 Olympic team, and I'm sure there must have been some tryout sessions and ceremonies about that. Then it was off to juggle her time for the USA Olympic champions and Phoenix, so with the 7 major awards in 2004 and all, she probably needed a breather at the end of the year. She often seemed close to superhuman, but she isn't Superwoman.

But yeah, the academics took a bit of a second seat there. Good that she completed the job.

Icebear likes this.
  9. BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

You've done a study of some sort? Plenty of educated people just enjoy the occasional f-bomb or c___s____.

10. Cheddie

Cheddie

Online classes were clearly an option. I was really commenting on the hyperbole of Geno having the power to ban a student from campus.

11. Scotter

Scotter

What Geno actually did is a little less grandiose than banning her from campus. The story has been told numerous times, and there is a version that named things he did have power over without any hyperbole of a campus ban. He told she would no longer be welcome around the team, and that he was going to have all her pictures and memorabilia taken down from Gampel and the offices. Geno like a good storyteller never lets the truth get in the way of a better story so the tale gets taller, but there were actionable consequences.

Icebear likes this.
  12. meyers7

meyers7 Smarty Pants

Pretty sure when the coaches aren't around, they talk however they want. Mostly likely like most every other college kid.

DEK1234 likes this.
  13. PacoSwede

PacoSwede

I haven't read all through this thread yet, but I agree with Jenkins about the 'pure class' writer who is being praised to the high heavens by so many BYers. It is NOT a well-done piece. He does have some good quotes and decent info, but it's poorly written. And while it may be an accurate portrait of Geno in some areas, it's misleading in others.

arty155 likes this.
  14. VAUConnFan

VAUConnFan

Great interview. Covered a lot of bases.

15. PacoSwede

PacoSwede

Yeah. Plus, I'm pretty confident D learned an adequate amount in college to make the experience a success. Getting a diploma really shouldn't be the be-all, end-all of it, should it? I think simply growing your place in the world is a great payoff.

Getting the degree is right and good for the purpose of setting an example or making parents happy or whatever, but that doesn't mean it's particularly right and good for the recipient herself. Does having a fancy piece of paper really make her better in some way?

16. DobbsRover2

DobbsRover2 Slap me 10

Nope, with NCAA rules the way they are, you better get that degree. If Calhoun had been harder on this point, the UConn men's team wouldn't be in the pickle it is. Whether you've learned life's lessons in college or not, you owe it to your team to get that piece of paper.

17. PacoSwede

PacoSwede

D no doubt felt she owed it to the team, to UConn, to kids who admire her and probably others, and that's a real good reason to come back to get that piece of paper. But, for herself? She didn't need it ... as is true with many folks. And, ya know, isn't that kind of sad? That you must have this piece of paper simply because others demand that you have it? Guess getting it could be seen as a righteous exercise of self-discipline, though.

Your point is certainly accurate, of course.

18. vowelguy

vowelguy AEIOU

How do you know she didn't need it? She's not gonna play basketball forever, and unlike an NBA star I highly doubt she's set for life.
    At some point she's probably going to need another career.

19. Scotter

Scotter

She's been making in the neighborhood of 1 million per year for about 5 years now. If she wanted to be set for life, she could be. I'm sure she'll find something to occupy her time, but I doubt it will involve sociology. Having her degree is good if she wants to coach college ball, but we have learned you can be the head coach at USC without being a college graduate.

20. Kait14

Kait14 Kait the Great

I can't really feel bad when Emeka had one less year and was an economics major

Husky7882 likes this.
Web Hosting Service by Host Duplex