Geno Auriemma: "Mr. Women's Basketball" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma: "Mr. Women's Basketball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Isn't that tweet just proof that Jenkins still doesn't get? She is talking about great individual players, Jordan was emphasizing Geno's team approach to the game. Summitt was all about "defense and rebounding". She would bring in the most athletic players she could and motivate them within an inch of their life. Her offense was all about chucking the ball up and getting the rebounds for the putbacks. Geno with his passing and cutting took the game to the next level.

Yes, Sally Jenkins doesn't get. Nor is she accurate to the article. It isn't that Pat Jordan thinks that it is that Geno thinks that and has worked hard to change the game. There was little in the article that we haven't heard from Geno directly or through the horde.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Just curious - how do you get a degree without going on campus, at least to a limited extent?

I believe that Diana came back in the following spring and attended classes to receive her degree. It is, however, possible, with the professor's permission, to take some classes on line.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno would ever ask anyone to work harder than he himself has done. Think of what he has accomplished since he immigrated as a small child. He, to me, has accomplished what was once called "the American Dream." To come here, work hard, and make yourself and your family a good life. Many of our parents and grandparents did the same, to different degrees. God bless him!

Reaction Score
What surprised me in the article was when they had finished lunch somewhere & went outside for the reporter to smoke a cigar & Geno to smoke a cigarette! Never ever have I heard anywhere that Geno smokes - other than the occasional cigar!! :(

Reaction Score
"Diana Taurasi came back and got her degree. When I heard through the grapevine that she thought she'd be too busy to finish up, I got really upset. Diana's parents never went to college. The fact that she did a tremendous source of pride for them. I tried to explain to her that by not getting her degree, she'd be written off as just another dumb jock. I told her she'd just be perpetuating the idea that great players give lip service about going to school, and that would be wrong. I sent her an e-mail telling her she could never set foot on my court again if she didn't come back and enroll in school. She sent me a two-word answer: yes, sir."
- Geno In Pursuit of Perfection, Geno Auriemma with Jackie MacMullen

Reaction Score
That's how men talk, eric.

No, not all men talk that way. I surely don't, and most of the people I associate with don't. I'm no saint, but I never use foul language. It really isn't necessary to make a point.

Reaction Score
"I would love Dee to come back and remain part of the Connecticut program, but I've already told her she is not welcome back on this campus until she graduates. She knows I mean it.
It's not Dee's fault she didn't finish. The WNBA screws up women's basketball. They start their training camps in April, and if you are someone like Diana, who has played international ball for most of her career, you can't make up courses in the summer. If you have to start your pro career in April, then you're not going to be able to graduate on time. That means a kid like Diana has to come back in the fall or the winter to finish. I told her if she doesn't, she'll never be allowed on these courts ever again. Her parents deserve that. I went into their home and told them her daughter would graduate with a degree.
In January of 2005, Dee took me at my word. She came back to Connecticut and enrolled in classes to complete her degree."
Geno In Pursuit of Perfection , Geno Auriemma with Jackie MacMullan

Reaction Score
What surprised me in the article was when they had finished lunch somewhere & went outside for the reporter to smoke a cigar & Geno to smoke a cigarette! Never ever have I heard anywhere that Geno smokes - other than the occasional cigar!! :(

I agree. Kind of a disappointing thing to hear about someone with such high standards and a role model.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Not a ton of info there. Does he smoke regularly? Does he enjoy an occasional cigarette after a meal? What it a Malboro Red, or a smooth clove to cleanse the pallette?

Reaction Score
What does Sally's accusation about Pat Jordan using Jackie MacMullen's work without giving proper credit, have anything to do with Pat? Sally is sticking up for Jackie, who authored the book about Geno/UConn.

Actually, she co-authored it with Geno.

Reaction Score
I bet CD doesn't let the players talk like that.

Yeah, and when they're full adults and aren't getting a free college education, they can talk however they want.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Actually, she co-authored it with Geno.

True, and the original source of the anecdotes is Geno, not Jackie MacMullen. Why would Jordan need to credit MacMullen when he's interviewing the co-author of the book and, btw, the original source of the stories? I thought it odd that Jordan didn't refer to MacMullen by name, (he referred to her as "a Boston sportswriter"), but maybe that's a sportswriter thing. There has to be something else behind Jenkins' tweet.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, not all men talk that way. I surely don't, and most of the people I associate with don't. I'm no saint, but I never use foul language. It really isn't necessary to make a point.
Very true. Mostly it is an indication of limited vocabulary or an attempt at shock value.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I didn't either!! I didn't even know she left without getting her degree... that seems crazy to me.. 4 years and a sociology major, how in God's name do you not get your degree?!

"4 years and a sociology major, how in God's name do you not get your degree?!"

...that cracked me up.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
"Since UConn is in no way a fun place to play for."

Nonsense! They have a lot of fun playing at Conn. It's not always a picnic -- that's for sure -- but there are plenty of fun and funny times. Basketball is one of those sports where the better you do it, the more fun it is. The kids pay a price to learn/develop excellence. But they enjoy the end results.

When they travel, they visit all kinds of museums, and historical sights, and fine restaurants.

They "horse around" in the locker room. They make funny movies of themselves. They smile when they do lay-up drills and press interviews. They have treasure hunts in far away places. They have HUGE hugs with teammates after well played games.

In short, the UConn girls stretch every day to get over some high bars; but they are hardly abused.

I like the frankness of the article -- BUT, Geno is not a grump. He knows how to have a good time. He is great friends with many opposing coaches of both genders. He has a soft side which the author really failed to project. He has fun not only with his own players; but often with opposing players. Look at all the compliments he gets from Non-UConn players on the Olympic Team. He is a fun guy to be around before and after practice -- and for many years after his players graduate. When the whistle blows to begin practice, Geno is all about hard work and high standards. But he has great friendships and warm personal skills with his assistant coaches, the team managers, and the players.
Well, as Shea Ralph says in the piece, "UConn basketball wasn't for fun. There was a bigger picture here."

The Huskies find ways to get their fun, but let's not kid ourselves that it's fun and games most of the time. Playing BB for UConn requires intense sacrifice, effort, dedication, and the willingness to absorb a lot of pain. The goal is the NC, and that's what's required.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I didn't either!! I didn't even know she left without getting her degree... that seems crazy to me.. 4 years and a sociology major, how in God's name do you not get your degree?!
In defense of DT, that was an incredibly hectic time in the spring of 2004 for her. Besides leading UConn to the NC, receiving tons of awards and having to be hopping between ceremonies, being picked 1st by the WNBA and the resulting plane flights for all of that, there was one other major thing. She was selected in May for the 2004 Olympic team, and I'm sure there must have been some tryout sessions and ceremonies about that. Then it was off to juggle her time for the USA Olympic champions and Phoenix, so with the 7 major awards in 2004 and all, she probably needed a breather at the end of the year. She often seemed close to superhuman, but she isn't Superwoman.

But yeah, the academics took a bit of a second seat there. Good that she completed the job.

Reaction Score
Very true. Mostly it is an indication of limited vocabulary or an attempt at shock value.

You've done a study of some sort? Plenty of educated people just enjoy the occasional f-bomb or c___s____.

Reaction Score
I believe that Diana came back in the following spring and attended classes to receive her degree. It is, however, possible, with the professor's permission, to take some classes on line.
Online classes were clearly an option. I was really commenting on the hyperbole of Geno having the power to ban a student from campus.

Reaction Score
Online classes were clearly an option. I was really commenting on the hyperbole of Geno having the power to ban a student from campus.

What Geno actually did is a little less grandiose than banning her from campus. The story has been told numerous times, and there is a version that named things he did have power over without any hyperbole of a campus ban. He told she would no longer be welcome around the team, and that he was going to have all her pictures and memorabilia taken down from Gampel and the offices. Geno like a good storyteller never lets the truth get in the way of a better story so the tale gets taller, but there were actionable consequences.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah, and when they're full adults and aren't getting a free college education, they can talk however they want.
Pretty sure when the coaches aren't around, they talk however they want. Mostly likely like most every other college kid.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Sally Jenkins (sallyjenx) recently tweeted; "The main anecdotes in Pat Jordan's piece on Geno Auriemma come from Jackie MacMullen's book. Only, he never mentions that. Pure class."

I haven't read all through this thread yet, but I agree with Jenkins about the 'pure class' writer who is being praised to the high heavens by so many BYers. It is NOT a well-done piece. He does have some good quotes and decent info, but it's poorly written. And while it may be an accurate portrait of Geno in some areas, it's misleading in others.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
In defense of DT, that was an incredibly hectic time in the spring of 2004 for her. ... She often seemed close to superhuman, but she isn't Superwoman.

But yeah, the academics took a bit of a second seat there. Good that she completed the job.

Yeah. Plus, I'm pretty confident D learned an adequate amount in college to make the experience a success. Getting a diploma really shouldn't be the be-all, end-all of it, should it? I think simply growing your place in the world is a great payoff.

Getting the degree is right and good for the purpose of setting an example or making parents happy or whatever, but that doesn't mean it's particularly right and good for the recipient herself. Does having a fancy piece of paper really make her better in some way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom