Geno Auriemma as head coach? | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma as head coach?

Reaction Score
No, he ain't available, but if he ever wanted a challenge, this would be it!

Now, the women get some of the top players in the country without doubt, because they want to come here 1) they likely will win a championship 2) they always seem to improve in skills 3) the coaching is excellent.

If Geno were here coaching the men, at least the men would have good offensive movement, which is a hallmark of the women's teams. And, they would play great fundamental defense, too.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
While there's no doubt in my mind that Geno would teach fundamentals as well or better than pretty much any men's coach, that's about as far as I'd take that. Passing lanes close faster, arms are longer, players are quicker, anticipation is greater... name whatever you want. He'd need to be teaching a different set of fundamentals.

However, it would be interesting to see how he'd fare at an Ivy school. I wouldn't be surprised if after a couple years he could nab the autobid (and a first round exit).

Reaction Score

Now, the women get some of the top players in the country without doubt, because they want to come here 1) they likely will win a championship 2) they always seem to improve in skills 3) the coaching is excellent.

If Geno were here coaching the men, at least the men would have good offensive movement, which is a hallmark of the women's teams. And, they would play great fundamental defense, too.

Your name fits, Con dog, as in this is a big con job.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see Geno coach a men's team. Would be really interesting. A lot more interesting that 500 more 94-41 games

Yeah. We're officially at "the glass can only be full" point with him in the women's game. If he loves his job and that's what he wants to do, all power to him. As a spectator it has reached the point where I'm no longer interested.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Are you just looking for attention? Just like my 3 yo grandson - do/say something outrageous and people will look

Reaction Score
Geno is a brilliant coach... in the women's game. I'd love to see how he'd do in the men's game. I'm not saying I want him to replace KO, but if that time ever came, I'd have no problem seeing how Geno would do.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd love to see Geno coach a men's team. Would be really interesting. A lot more interesting that 500 more 94-41 games

It's simply amazing someone has gotten to that point in a sporting profession. Dominate so hard that almost everyone loses interest. It's not like it's an uneven playing field either. He just does is so much better than anyone else.

Reaction Score

Head bang

Reaction Score
He'd make an excellent coach. He's a great motivator, a great X's and O's guy. Great recruiter. It might take him a few seasons to figure out how to press the right buttons with men..but if a man can learn to understand how 20 year old women's minds work, there is no reason to think he couldn't do the same for men. Obviously he isn't going to win 90 in a row with men, but I'd be willing to be he'd do well.

Bigger question is, why would he? He's getting older, he doesn't need the stress. Not only that, but..as much as Ollie was disappointing last season, he deserves a fair shot..especially when he's already got a championship.

Reaction Score
He'd make an excellent coach. He's a great motivator, a great X's and O's guy. Great recruiter. It might take him a few seasons to figure out how to press the right buttons with men..but if a man can learn to understand how 20 year old women's minds work, there is no reason to think he couldn't do the same for men. Obviously he isn't going to win 90 in a row with men, but I'd be willing to be he'd do well.

Bigger question is, why would he? He's getting older, he doesn't need the stress. Not only that, but..as much as Ollie was disappointing last season, he deserves a fair shot..especially when he's already got a championship.

He's a great recruiter on the women's side. Ends there, no idea what he would be with the "guys" not only as a recruiter or a motivator. This is really an awful thought on this board.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Geno coaching our men's team would be a huge mistake for everyone involved.

Geno coaching a men's team at another college would be great to see. I don't think he'd do it at this point though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom