Geno and Muffet. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno and Muffet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There really shouldn't be any debate. Holly is not only deserving of a raise but also overdue for a long extension. TN is definitely getting their money worth from Holly. Keep in mind this is coming from a unbiased UCONN fan.
I say give her at least another 10 years.

Reaction Score
How did your daughters do? I hope they won and played well. I asked to see the article because I love the history of the game as well as the game itself. I grew up talking smack after I brought them to school( there ABCs)and they did the same. It wasnt limited to just basketball either. In those days we played sports which were my video games. Life growing up in the project. Nothing personal.
My daughter plays volleyball. She is a Freshman in high school. They won against a really good team. Thanks for asking. Im with you. I was a sports nut as a kid. I still am but a little slower lol. I would go outside at 9 am all summer and come home at 5 pm for dinner. Don't even mention video games. Video games and cell phones are the problem with our youth today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My daughter plays volleyball. She is a Freshman in high school. They won against a really good team. Thanks for asking. Im with you. I was a sports nut as a kid. I still am but a little slower lol. I would go outside at 9 am all summer and come home at 5 pm for dinner. Don't even mention video games. Video games and cell phones are the problem with our youth today.
The good old days! I love volleyball also. Rooting for them to have a great season! I agree about the phones and video games. Just wait until they group up like us,lol.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Not likely. Both Geno and Muffet served under Jim Foster at St. Joe’s but they were never on the same staff. Geno was at St. Joes from 78-79. Muffet was at St. Joes from 80-82. After St. Joe’s the paths diverged, Geno went on to coach HS boy’s and Muffet got the HC job at Lehigh.
Geno’s 2nd year at UCONN would have been 1987. In 1987 Muffet was finishing up as HC at Lehigh and entering ND. So Muffet would have been offering Geno- already a HC in the Big East a position to be an assistant coach in something called the North Star Conference.

Maybe it seems very unlikely, but sometimes those are the most amazing facts of all. This quote appeared in the NYTimes in March 2001 courtesy of Harvey Araton. Point to SouthBendCane.

"It is ancient and little-known history that Muffet McGraw once called her old Philadelphia coaching crony, Geno Auriemma, and offered him a job as her assistant at Notre Dame, that great American collegiate sports cathedral.

Auriemma already had a head coaching position, albeit one with no real profile beyond the pastures of rural Connecticut. ''It was two or three years after I got this job,'' Auriemma said. ''She had just lost an assistant. She said, 'Got any names?' Then she said, 'What about you?' I said: ''Are you nuts? I'm staying at Connecticut. This isn't the greatest place in the world but it ain't the worst.'''

Who knew by the turn of the century that little old Storrs, Conn., would be the center of women's basketball universe?
"​

LINK

Reaction Score
Fightin Choke nailed it. I remember this very well as it was also reported in the Hartford Courant at that time. If I remembered correctly, Muffet also said something to the effect that she was not surprised and Geno was too ambitious and headstrong to be an assistant.

Reaction Score
Maybe it seems very unlikely, but sometimes those are the most amazing facts of all. This quote appeared in the NYTimes in March 2001 courtesy of Harvey Araton. Point to SouthBendCane.

"It is ancient and little-known history that Muffet McGraw once called her old Philadelphia coaching crony, Geno Auriemma, and offered him a job as her assistant at Notre Dame, that great American collegiate sports cathedral.

Auriemma already had a head coaching position, albeit one with no real profile beyond the pastures of rural Connecticut. ''It was two or three years after I got this job,'' Auriemma said. ''She had just lost an assistant. She said, 'Got any names?' Then she said, 'What about you?' I said: ''Are you nuts? I'm staying at Connecticut. This isn't the greatest place in the world but it ain't the worst.'''

Who knew by the turn of the century that little old Storrs, Conn., would be the center of women's basketball universe?
"​

LINK
Thanks i was starting to think i was crazy. I could not find it again anywhere.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I didn't find it myself. I saw that someone else (Caucasian Eagle) on a different board had found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom