GE vs HA somewhere that they speak a different language | The Boneyard

GE vs HA somewhere that they speak a different language

Reaction Score
Gavin Edwards is a great example of staying 4 years ( in his case seasons )
Hilton was 7 Mau units (about 11.9”) but he is another one.

Reaction Score
The only reason why someone should stay 4 years in college is if they're don't have legit NBA potential. GE wasn't destined for the League

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only reason why someone should stay 4 years in college is if they're don't have legit NBA potential. GE wasn't destined for the League
But HA stayed 4 years and was a lottery pick.

Reaction Score
These guys both represent classic JC development. Each year, each guy got better. Gavin was a serviceable big and a solid player. As mentioned, Armstrong went lotto.
I remember hearing a story that Armstrong got offered and asked a coach or friend advice on whether he should play for UConn, thinking he might not be good enough. Advice was, "you have a chance to go play for a great coach - you take it." And he did.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember hearing a story that Armstrong got offered and asked a coach or friend advice on whether he should play for UConn, thinking he might not be good enough. Advice was, "you have a chance to go play for a great coach - you take it." And he did.

OTOH, Edwards' HS coach said he "wasn't a Big East player."

Reaction Score
Gavin is a true pro. Solid and steady. Easy guy to root for.

Remember back when we used to see development among our bigs?

He was a no-name recruit, a bit player his first 2 years, a key reserve as a junior, and then an underrated and solid starter as a senior (albeit on a rudderless and forgettable team).

Reaction Score
My recollection is that Gavin Edwards is one of the players that left UConn right after the season and resulted in a hit on the APR. If that's the case, I look at him a bit like steroid era baseball players. He gets an asterisk.

Reaction Score
My recollection is that Gavin Edwards is one of the players that left UConn right after the season and resulted in a hit on the APR. If that's the case, I look at him a bit like steroid era baseball players. He gets an asterisk.

+1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Gavin was one of the biggest reasons for all the APR nonsense. Here for a full four years and didn't even complete his degree (or at least not on the NCAA's schedule).

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
+1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Gavin was one of the biggest reasons for all the APR nonsense. Here for a full four years and didn't even complete his degree (or at least not on the NCAA's schedule).

You're not wrong but you're missing the coda, which involved Gavin owning up to his mistake and its consequences, and earning his degree.

Former UConn Men's Basketball Players Prove It's Never Too Late To Earn Degree

“I felt that it would be a waste to have been given such an opportunity to receive a full scholarship and not complete the education to get a degree,” Edwards said. “I know that post high school education is always a major decision for people, because you take on a huge financial burden and I was given this gift, so I felt it was only right to complete it. I also felt bad for the guys that came in after me because I felt I had contributed to the low [APR] rating that got the program in trouble, so I wanted to correct that, although I know the damage was already done.”

So, as far as I'm concerned, the asterisk may be removed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom