GDL coachspeak | Page 3 | The Boneyard

GDL coachspeak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hate the way GDL is developing this offense, but this "the game has passed him by" meme is insulting. In my view, the problem seems to be that he has an excessively risk-averse temperament that is focused on the short-term; he doesn't take a strategic view, he is all tactics. He's probably been this way as a coach his whole career. It's not that he can't learn modern tactics and schemes, it's that he doesn't recognize that "playing not to lose" (or "playing to minimize risk of loss") at each moment is a bad strategy for creating a winning, successful team. In life and football, you have to risk failure in order to succeed. Occasional failure is OK if it's outweighed by more frequent success.

+1000

Well analyzed and said.....Couldn't agree with this more...

Reaction Score
I remember this time last year against Vanderbilt when Pasqualoni and DeLeone didn't take their foot off the gas and the people on this message board torched them for it. I'm guessing some of the very same vocal critics in this (and many other) threads.

Reaction Score
I remember this time last year against Vanderbilt when Pasqualoni and DeLeone didn't take their foot off the gas and the people on this message board torched them for it. I'm guessing some of the very same vocal critics in this (and many other) threads.
Addressed yesterday

Reaction Score
No worries. . . .Germany in October sounds pretty good to me

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
we have a top 10 defense......why not let them win the game for us?

There is no planet on which this is a top 10 defense. Having good stats against the 120th best schedule to date in the country is not a top 10 defense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because everybody's right around here flyer. Nobody could possibly be wrong, if there's a vocal group of fans, that for wahtever reason have personal reasons for not liking coaches.

I guess it's impossible for people to not like the coaches because they don't think they are good coaches. I guess it has to be personal.

Reaction Score
I pretty much hate all things DeLeone and Pasqualoni at this point.
Saturday I'm going to take my kid to Silverman's to get some pumpkins. I'll DVR the game and speed through it when I have some free time. I'm not a casual fan, it's just these two have sucked the life out of me (as far as UConn football goes).

If Manuel doesn't scrap this nonsense, I'm going to grab a pitchfork and be at his
doorstep next.

I'll grab the torches!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I guess maybe those people can see the difference between playing Vanderbilt on the road with a walk-on QB and a 7 point lead versus playing Buffalo at home with a scholarship quarterback who had played pretty well with a 17 point lead.

Maybe, just maybe those are different situations.

F

fortebleedsblue

First thing that comes to mind is he sounds like a (insert word here). Second thing that comes mind is that he completely undermines his own team and takes no blame. Apparently his schemes are perfect and if you can't execute them then your a loser. Sounds like a real leader for these kids. Compliments other teams heavily and throws his own under the bus. I can tell the team responds really well to him... Especially the online

Reaction Score
That may not be fan-friendly but it’s going to be a way to win a game in that situation. For us it’s about winning a game. We know our people better than anybody and we felt like to give our team the best chance to win I wasn’t going to do anything to jeopardize our defense – nothing.

Well he did, game came down 2 a 4th and 2, cause he didn't believe in his offence, he quit on his players, not believing in them! I just hope da D, don't let Rutgers get a 10 lead, then, I will b forced 2 watch under da cherry moon

Reaction Score
There is no planet on which this is a top 10 defense. Having good stats against the 120th best schedule to date in the country is not a top 10 defense.

Top 10? Maybe not in the Top 10, but definitely on the same planet as the Top 10. NC State has played 3 games against BCS competition and has scored 21, 10, and 37 points. And if you were at the Rent for that game they were pretty lucky it wasn't 3. By your logic Tennessee and Miami are not in this universe ...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Top 10? Maybe not in the Top 10, but definitely on the same planet as the Top 10. NC State has played 3 games against BCS competition and has scored 21, 10, and 37 points. And if you were at the Rent for that game they were pretty lucky it wasn't 3. By your logic Tennessee and Miami are not in this universe ...

They played very well against NCSU and in the first half of the Maryland game. Since Jennings and Joseph got hurt they have been pedestrian. People forget pretty quickly Maryland had all the momentum in that game and was one play from sending it to overtime.

Top 10 defenses don't get torched by Western Michigan and they don't let an awful Buffalo team back in a game at home. Those two results disqualify any reference to Top 10. You can't live off NC State two and half games after the performance fell off a cliff.

A Top 10 defense should also generate more than 6 turnovers when they have played Maryland, UMass and Buffalo.

Reaction Score
First thing that comes to mind is he sounds like a (insert word here). Second thing that comes mind is that he completely undermines his own team and takes no blame. Apparently his schemes are perfect and if you can't execute them then your a loser. Sounds like a real leader for these kids. Compliments other teams heavily and throws his own under the bus. I can tell the team responds really well to him... Especially the online
Wow! This post is exactly how I felt about Edsall. I guess when you don't like a coach's philosophy and copy and paste this exact post from now till kingdom come.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That may not be fan-friendly but it’s going to be a way to win a game in that situation. For us it’s about winning a game. We know our people better than anybody and we felt like to give our team the best chance to win I wasn’t going to do anything to jeopardize our defense – nothing.

Well he did, game came down 2 a 4th and 2, cause he didn't believe in his offence, he quit on his players, not believing in them! I just hope da D, don't let Rutgers get a 10 lead, then, I will b forced 2 watch under da cherry moon

Exactly. What jeopardizes a tired defense who just gave up 10 unanswered points more than putting them back on the field? If you go for it and fail, the defense still needs to go back on the field and you only give up 15 yards. If you convert, you virtually assure a win, and the fans go home realitively happy. Remind me again what the situation was when Buffalo scored their first TD? Was it 4th down?

Reaction Score
Because everybody's right around here flyer. Nobody could possibly be wrong, if there's a vocal group of fans, that for wahtever reason have personal reasons for not liking coaches.

Oh for goodness sakes. The remainder of your post is a perfectly rational position, but why in the world would you ruin it before you start by pretending that the criticism of P is because people have "personal reasons." What a piece of crap. People are being vocal because we are clearly moving backward.

Reaction Score
Flyer, it is painfully obvious to mot of us the game has passed GDL by. If it makes you feel better to rip on us for criticizing coaches for not going for the kill with a 17-point lead at home against a weak team, go ahead. Again, no one is asking for 70-point WVU like performances. Just a counter, misdirection, play action, bootleg or pulling the guard a little more frequently.

I agree with everything you just said man so we're arguing the same point

I think where we differe is.....there is a large gap between "call a misdirection every once and a while" and "our coach is too old, please fire him now"

If we were 0 - 5 I would back that 110%, but we're not

Reaction Score

When was our foot on the gas against Vandy? We came back on turnovers and blocked punts. Our O had not been accomplishing anything during the comeback.

Reaction Score
This thread looks exactly like what Syracuse fans predicted when Coach P announced his decision to hire DeLeone in January 2011:

What a great way to ruin your team. Coach P just shot his program in the foot... GO CUSE
ducanti -- insanity= doing a wrong thing over and over thinking the result will be good. P just proved it.
We all have to have assumed that Coach P had learned more than a few things in his 6 years in the NFL. UConn would not have hired him if he projected that he was going to run the old freeze option offense direct out of the post-McNabb sub-.500 record playbook. He must have them promised that he would bring in some new ideas gleaned from the NFL. Hiring Deleone could be a sign that he really is stuck in the past and wants to bring the old band back. With Deleone, it is not going to be a new Coach P but the same old same old. Don't think that is what the Huskies were expecting.
love P hate Deloneer
Deleone seemed to fail at everything he was put in charge of. I think Paul was a decent head coach but once he stopped getting recruits it was all over...what makes anyone think being 6 yrs older will make him a better recruiter?
Last job I know of [for Deleone] was at Ole Miss. As an O-line coach. I think that was the season their QB spent running for his life and getting sacked.
My favorite were the procedure penalties on the initial play after a time called to prevent a procedure penalty.
Hysterical! Good luck UConn fans! As a lifelong Orange fan, I can tell you the problem with both of these crusty old goats is their stubborness. Their unwillingness to change with the times is what led to their demise. Now that they're both 10 years older, the game will have passed them by even further. But trust me, they'll "keep doing what they've been doing" as they always said, hahaha!

Link: http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2011/01/connecticut_coach_paul_pasqual.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom