GDL coachspeak | Page 2 | The Boneyard

GDL coachspeak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, "not fan friendly" is his way of telling the fans and anyone else (like Jeff Jacobs) who dare to criticize him they don't know what they're talking about.
Oh well, maybe THIS is the week we run Lyle off tackle.

This is probably the case

Reaction Score
Dez posted a Q&A he did with GDL on his blog. I'm guessing a few boneyarders might not enjoy some of DeLeone's comments so much...

DeLeone was right. The proof is we did not blow the game. No reason to increase the risk of a touchdown by the defense from an interception or fumble by the quarterback. UConn played a reasonably aggressive offense until it built a decent lead and then played conservatively and relied on its defense. Sounds logical to me. and it worked.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well, it all makes sense to me now.

Our offensive is geared towards getting to third down.

"And let me say this to you, I said this to the team on Sunday, ‘There’s nobody that works, on any team I’ve ever been involved with that works more on third down. We have three, third down periods on Wednesday. We have another third down period on Thursday. We spend our whole Friday night video trying to get third down reviewed in our meetings. So we spent a lot of time on third down. It hasn’t yielded the production that we’ve need; first game yes, since then, no." _GDL

Isn't the goal to get another 1st Down? Just because you are given 3 downs doesn't mean you have to use them.

What is the play calling during 3rd down periods in practice? Does he still call dives? Is there a D-line on the field? Are they there for show or going full speed? Anyone can convert a run in 7 on 7 drills...

Reaction Score
Getting away from the 2 TE lineups will help our RB's get some space. Oseicki is someone who should be used more. When it's 3rd and 8 I hope we don't throw 4 yard passes. Do we have lineman that can block for a screen pass? Are they mobile enough? It's the Coaching staffs job to take the player off the field who is screwing up, this is why they talk about competition for jobs and have a 2 deep. Deleone's final exams start Saturday at noon. Final observation, when the camera is on PP he spends alot of time staring at the ground while GD makes the next decision on where this program is going.

Reaction Score
Face palm...just face palm. What was he doing before UConn? Was he gainfully employed?

Reaction Score
DeLeone was right. The proof is we did not blow the game. No reason to increase the risk of a touchdown by the defense from an interception or fumble by the quarterback. UConn played a reasonably aggressive offense until it built a decent lead and then played conservatively and relied on its defense. Sounds logical to me. and it worked.
Sounds logical that his approach led to Buffalo getting the ball with plenty of time on the clock to tie or go ahead on the last possession? Welcome to the board Mrs Deleone.

Reaction Score
Sounds logical that his approach led to Buffalo getting the ball with plenty of time on the clock to tie or go ahead on the last possession? Welcome to the board Mrs Deleone.

we have a top 10 defense......why not let them win the game for us?

Reaction Score

Why leave little margin for error? It was a one possession game when it didn't have to be? One slip by a cornerback on a deep ball and we're looking at overtime. I have no problem tightening things up a bit. I have a problem with sphincter tightening that leads to needing a stop late in the game.

Didn't have to come to that.

Reaction Score
Why leave little margin for error? It was a one possession game when it didn't have to be? One slip by a cornerback on a deep ball and we're looking at overtime. I have no problem tightening things up a bit. I have a problem with sphincter tightening that leads to needing a stop late in the game.

Didn't have to come to that.

Exactly I agree 100 %......so why are we putting GDL on the hot seat and not Don Brown

You're statement says why leave little margin for error? what is you margin? 30 points? 70?....obviously GDL thought that 17 points was a good margin and though, wow I have a top 10 defense time for the to step up and win us the game.....

And they didn't.

I know everyone wants to praise the defense because the stats are nice, but they are the ones responsible for letting buffalo back in the game....not the offense

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
When I talked to my brother who is in Mississppi who talks to players on Ole Miss and they didn't like DeLeone at all. A certain pro said he made things more difficult on the oline from a more power set to a zone blocking scheme. He was fired after one year at Ole Miss for being ineffective. The players had a name for him, dragon breath.

Reaction Score
Exactly I agree 100 %......so why are we putting GDL on the hot seat and not Don Brown

You're statement says why leave little margin for error? what is you margin? 30 points? 70?....obviously GDL thought that 17 points was a good margin and though, wow I have a top 10 defense time for the to step up and win us the game.....

And they didn't.

I know everyone wants to praise the defense because the stats are nice, but they are the ones responsible for letting buffalo back in the game....not the offense
Because offense, defense and specials all have to work in synch. If D is struggling a bit, O needs to adjust. O did not adjust and D was on the field for too long again. I get your point on the D, but the O turtled in the second half. Playing not to lose is no way to play.

Reaction Score
This is probably the case

Flyer, it is painfully obvious to mot of us the game has passed GDL by. If it makes you feel better to rip on us for criticizing coaches for not going for the kill with a 17-point lead at home against a weak team, go ahead. Again, no one is asking for 70-point WVU like performances. Just a counter, misdirection, play action, bootleg or pulling the guard a little more frequently.

Reaction Score

And they didn't.

Because everybody's right around here flyer. Nobody could possibly be wrong, if there's a vocal group of fans, that for wahtever reason have personal reasons for not liking coaches.

The reason we went from up 24-7 to 24-14, and then to a run heavy conservative offense at 24-17 was beacuse some players on our defense stopped hustling before the whistle, and others were undisciplined in their fits, on a hook and lateral, and then we had consecutive series with sacks/and or batted balls at the LOS or both, on passing downs.

But - it's all deleone and pasqualoni's fault. As one fan in my section said, to his female friend - well that's Pasqualoni for you - he ran the Syracuse program into the ground......

One of the cardinal rules in football, if you're actually in it, is that fans, friends, family, reporters, anyone - not in the locker room, and on the field, doesn't really know anything about what's going on the field, so don't pay attention to it.

When I read deleone's comments that's exactly what I think, nobody out here really knows what's going on, and he's right. Arrogant, but right.

I only have one play call question for Deleone, and it's a good one, because everything he said about protecting the ball, and practicing third downs, and not risking a big play the wrong way, almost happened with it and is contrary to it. That third down wishbone. 3rd and 6 and Buff 40, with 2:30 remaining. Single possesion game, we're up. We come out in a wishbone formation., with Whitmer at QB nonetheless, not McCummings. THey're spending so much time practicing third downs right? What happened? WHitmer runs out in the flank, nobody gets a block on I think at least three Buffalo players that swarm him and we go 6 yards for a loss, and Whitmer thankfully doesn't do something stupid with the ball or cough it up on the tackle, because as another pointed out, had he done so with either an interception in that flat, or a fumble recov, that was going back for 6.

As long as this team can start doing what I hoped they would start doing before, what I thought would be a strength of this offense prior to the season but haven't really seen yet, and lord help me, I hope they've just been keeping it bottled up for conference play, if that's the case, Snooki is in for surprise Sat afternoon, and everything's going to be just fine moving forward, b/c our passing game is very much improved, but I have my doubts if it's there or not.

We'll see what happens saturday.

Reaction Score
Because everybody's right around here flyer. Nobody could possibly be wrong, if there's a vocal group of fans, that for wahtever reason have personal reasons for not liking coaches.

The reason we went from up 24-7 to 24-14, and then to a run heavy conservative offense at 24-17 was beacuse some players on our defense stopped hustling before the whistle, and others were undisciplined in their fits, on a hook and lateral, and then we had consecutive series with sacks/and or batted balls at the LOS or both, on passing downs.

But - it's all deleone and pasqualoni's fault. As one fan in my section said, to his female friend - well that's Pasqualoni for you - he ran the Syracuse program into the ground......

One of the cardinal rules in football, if you're actually in it, is that fans, friends, family, reporters, anyone - not in the locker room, and on the field, doesn't really know anything about what's going on the field, so don't pay attention to it.

When I read deleone's comments that's exactly what I think, nobody out here really knows what's going on, and he's right. Arrogant, but right.

I only have one play call question for Deleone, and it's a good one, because everything he said about protecting the ball, and practicing third downs, and not risking a big play the wrong way, almost happened with it and is contrary to it. That third down wishbone. 3rd and 6 and Buff 40, with 2:30 remaining. Single possesion game, we're up. We come out in a wishbone formation., with Whitmer at QB nonetheless, not McCummings. THey're spending so much time practicing third downs right? What happened? WHitmer runs out in the flank, nobody gets a block on I think at least three Buffalo players that swarm him and we go 6 yards for a loss, and Whitmer thankfully doesn't do something stupid with the ball or cough it up on the tackle, because as another pointed out, had he done so with either an interception in that flat, or a fumble recov, that was going back for 6.

As long as this team can start doing what I hoped they would start doing before, what I thought would be a strength of this offense prior to the season but haven't really seen yet, and lord help me, I hope they've just been keeping it bottled up for conference play, if that's the case, Snooki is in for surprise Sat afternoon, and everything's going to be just fine moving forward, b/c our passing game is very much improved, but I have my doubts if it's there or not.

We'll see what happens saturday.

Allow me to be the first to say.......horse .

Reaction Score
Guys I hope you all get to see the Presser from SNY Today. Coach P is not sending GD anywhere. In fact he sounded totally onboard with the results so far, both playcalling and personnel. He said he wanted to run the ball better because we'll probably be doing a lot of it this week. Also seemed to think we did well last week and alluded to a 4 yard average as being a good "efficient" average. Really put a positive spin on what we are doing.

I didn't get the impression we GD and PP had any differences in philosophy. Sounded like we're right where they want us to be and we're gonna stay the course.

Reaction Score
the 50 yarder was an outlier and not representative or typical on how we ran the ball . Does it count in averaging? yes.

Reaction Score

Why not just kneel for 3 downs and punt it? I don't get how a sane person can defend someone taking their foot off the gas when so much time was left on the clock. How does it help the defense for the offense to get a quick 3 and out and the D has to go right back out again? Don't you want a coach with a killer instinct? Don't you want a team that finishes the job and puts the game out of reach when they're playing a clearly inferior opponent?

Reaction Score
Guys I hope you all get to see the Presser from SNY Today. Coach P is not sending GD anywhere. In fact he sounded totally onboard with the results so far, both playcalling and personnel. He said he wanted to run the ball better because we'll probably be doing a lot of it this week. Also seemed to think we did well last week and alluded to a 4 yard average as being a good "efficient" average. Really put a positive spin on what we are doing.

I didn't get the impression we GD and PP had any differences in philosophy. Sounded like we're right where they want us to be and we're gonna stay the course.
With all we know from Syracuse fans I think this comes as no surprise. George Deleone will not be able to do any wrong in the eyes of Paul Pasqualoni and thus that is why he wont be evaluated in a fair sense that say other members of the staff would be. His job is artificially secure and thats not in the best interest of the team, the administration, or us fans.

Reaction Score

That's called "rolling the dice". It worked against Buffalo. Let's see if it works against Rutgers because it sounds like we are going to see it again based on the presser. Unless P is a sly old fox we haven't seen. Unfortunately while I was watching the presser my daughter walked by, stopped and looked at the TV, turned around to me and said "who's that old fart"?

pj

Reaction Score
Flyer, it is painfully obvious to mot of us the game has passed GDL by. If it makes you feel better to rip on us for criticizing coaches for not going for the kill with a 17-point lead at home against a weak team, go ahead. Again, no one is asking for 70-point WVU like performances. Just a counter, misdirection, play action, bootleg or pulling the guard a little more frequently.

I hate the way GDL is developing this offense, but this "the game has passed him by" meme is insulting. In my view, the problem seems to be that he has an excessively risk-averse temperament that is focused on the short-term; he doesn't take a strategic view, he is all tactics. He's probably been this way as a coach his whole career. It's not that he can't learn modern tactics and schemes, it's that he doesn't recognize that "playing not to lose" (or "playing to minimize risk of loss") at each moment is a bad strategy for creating a winning, successful team. In life and football, you have to risk failure in order to succeed. Occasional failure is OK if it's outweighed by more frequent success.

Reaction Score
In life and football, you have to risk failure in order to succeed. Occasional failure is OK if it's outweighed by more frequent success.

Which is why the defense is succeeding and the offense isn't. If GDL had 1/4 of the stones DB does I'd be thrilled.

One good thing. GDL has just told Warde Manuel and the world his philosophy of how to win games. I hope it works. But why do I have the feeling opposing defensive coordinators are laughing when they watch our films?

Reaction Score
How bout that hyppolite play we ran it twice Saturday. 1st time was the td. 2nd time it got blown up. You got a big play on the first one so now they're looking for it. Fake the pitch and toss it deep. If I remember correctly its the only two times we used that formation and package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom