GDL coachspeak | The Boneyard

GDL coachspeak

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Well, it all makes sense to me now.

Our offensive is geared towards getting to third down.

Exactly. We can't succeed by passing against Rutgers so we'll run 13 out of 14 first downs, 12 of 14 second downs, and then when we lose it will be because the passing game only converted 1/3 of our 3rd and 7s.

Reaction Score
In regards to GD's talk about 3rd downs and his play calling all I hear is: "blah blah blah, we are scared of our weaknesses and especially scared of the other team's defensive strengths"..........That is such a High School football way of thinking....Going into every game hoping and wishing you get an early lead and hold on to win by 3 by the score of 13-10...Forget the concept of fighting to get to 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 4......How about getting back to back 1st downs..or picking up 3 first downs at once with a 30 yard completion...Threaten the defense a little....Have them worried about what we could do at any given time. Instead of curling up in the fetal position because your scared of getting hit in the face, Throw a freaking punch!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I read the 1st answer and I wanted to toss this new fangled contraption on which I type out the window!!!!!

"There’s no doubt about it. Why take unnecessary risks. We came off a game with six sacks. Why take that kind of chance."

What does one game have to do with the other!?!?!? He admitted to not going for the kill, whih is grounds for termination for cause!!!! Not good enough? How about incompetence...I said it in another thread, "Agressive play calling does not mean reckless.

I'm calling on you, Business Lawyer. DRAW UP THE PAPERS!!!! MAKE IT SO!!!!!!

Reaction Score
If we don't make 1st downs the Rutgers backs and OL will wear out our defense. Running on 1sst down will probably average less than 2 ypc. Seems like we are willing to pass on 2n down, why not 1st?
The 2 TE package allows 9 in the box as the two wides get single CB coverage and the safeties play run protection as soon as they see hand off. Need to make defense pay for their coverage of WR and TE coverage on 1st down.
Having 2 TE's on field a lot is not the answer, rather have 3 WR or FB.

Reaction Score
Time for him to go to the house. So unbelievably unimpressive.

Reaction Score
GDL actually didnt tell us anything... he beat around the bush at almost every question...

Reaction Score
So now the guy who is in charge of coaching the 15th-worst offense in the country is calling out the fans? Because they have the gall to criticize him for turtling with a 24-7 lead with 18 minutes to go against FREAKIN BUFFALO AT HOME????? "didn't want to put the defense in jeopardy?". .. . uh, George, BUFFALO (not the Buffalo Bills) HAD A CHANCE TO TIE THE GAME ON THEIR LAST POSSESSION almost entirely due to your decisions!

It's amazing, but GDL somehow managed to get arrogance, delusion, stupidity - and even cowardice - into one quote. If his goal is to take the heat off players, he has certainly more than accomplished it.

Reaction Score
It's also good to know that our last 5 drives yielded nothing because 1 guy didn't do his job. And I thought it was because Buffalo had 9 guys in the box and we continued to run dives up the gut. My bad.

Reaction Score
So now the guy who is in charge of coaching the 15th-worst offense in the country is calling out the fans? Because they have the gall to criticize him for turtling with a 24-7 lead with 18 minutes to go against FREAKIN BUFFALO AT HOME????? "didn't want to put the defense in jeopardy?". .. . uh, George, BUFFALO (not the Buffalo Bills) HAD A CHANCE TO TIE THE GAME ON THEIR LAST POSSESSION almost entirely due to your decisions!

It's amazing, but GDL somehow managed to get arrogance, delusion, stupidity - and even cowardice - into one quote. If his goal is to take the heat off players, he has certainly more than accomplished it.

Where did he call out the fans - by using the term "not fan friendly"? To me it sounds like he is hearing the noise (whether it's by reading it, hearing it or point blank being told it by his boss or his boss' boss).

Reaction Score
This guy really is doing his best to suck the wind out of my sails when it comes to being a fan of this team. I wanted to get into college ball and wanted to be a fan of the local team. I have watched every game for the last 2 years but I detest the offensive style of this team. On the other side of the ball, I absolutely love the aggressive defense, I only wish there was some risk taking in a similar sense from the offense. I am still going to watch and ride it out as I made a commitment to be a fan of this team and when I do that I don't give up (still a pittsburgh pirates fan since the early 90's). When people talk about program killers, or buzz or anything regarding interest level for this team it's hard to get casuals into this when the on field product is a George Deleone lead offense. I really don't get why he is still employed here. Syracuse fired Pasqualoni for his refusal to part with GDL back then. The writing shouldve been on the wall that when we subsequently hired Pasqualoni we would at least not allow that same mistake to happen but apparently history doesnt matter. Most people when it comes to job performance are rated by their superiors and left to achieve a certain level of performance in order to retain their position. Deleone seems to not have to participate in that system due to his relationship with his direct employer. This is not good for us, there should be no cronyism involved in a coaching staff like this.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
It's also good to know that our last 5 drives yielded nothing because 1 guy didn't do his job. And I thought it was because Buffalo had 9 guys in the box and we continued to run dives up the gut. My bad.
Funny you say that got AARP local in my section chanting " we want a pass!"

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I think P ought to consider putting GDL in solitary confinement where no press access is allowed. And also, on gamedays.
No diaper changes either!

Reaction Score
I pretty much hate all things DeLeone and Pasqualoni at this point.
Saturday I'm going to take my kid to Silverman's to get some pumpkins. I'll DVR the game and speed through it when I have some free time. I'm not a casual fan, it's just these two have sucked the life out of me (as far as UConn football goes).

If Manuel doesn't scrap this nonsense, I'm going to grab a pitchfork and be at his doorstep next.

pj

Reaction Score
If we don't make 1st downs the Rutgers backs and OL will wear out our defense. Running on 1sst down will probably average less than 2 ypc. Seems like we are willing to pass on 2n down, why not 1st?
The 2 TE package allows 9 in the box as the two wides get single CB coverage and the safeties play run protection as soon as they see hand off. Need to make defense pay for their coverage of WR and TE coverage on 1st down.
Having 2 TE's on field a lot is not the answer, rather have 3 WR or FB.

Don't mind 2 TE if at least one of them is leaking out to receive a pass away from a linebacker or safety. One could head for the sideline behind where a WR has cleared out the defense. If he gets the corner it could be a good gain, but often an easy 3-5 yard gain.

I still think they're worried about losing their QB to hits, or getting QB fumbles from hits. Otherwise the conservative play-calling and keeping everybody in for protection is a clear losing strategy.

Reaction Score
When I first heard the "GDL has enough plays to wallpaper his house" stuff I was impressed. Of course, I was assuming that the wallpaper would consist of different plays and not the same run between the tackles play over and over again.

Reaction Score
I pretty much hate all things DeLeone and Pasqualoni at this point.
Saturday I'm going to take my kid to Silverman's to get some pumpkins. I'll DVR the game and speed through it when I have some free time. I'm not a casual fan, it's just these two have sucked the life out of me (as far as UConn football goes).

If Manuel doesn't scrap this nonsense, I'm going to grab a pitchfork and be at his doorstep next.

lol almost identical situation with me. I am going to a craft brew/chili festival and normally I'd be all ticked off about missing the live broadcast of a game. I'll have it DVR'd but I'll likely be browsing forums or something when it's running in the background rather than actively watching it like normal. I just am not excited one bit about this team.

Reaction Score
Where did he call out the fans - by using the term "not fan friendly"? To me it sounds like he is hearing the noise (whether it's by reading it, hearing it or point blank being told it by his boss or his boss' boss).
Yes, "not fan friendly" is his way of telling the fans and anyone else (like Jeff Jacobs) who dare to criticize him they don't know what they're talking about.
Oh well, maybe THIS is the week we run Lyle off tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom