Games Like UCF | The Boneyard

Games Like UCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I woke up on Sunday morning with a bizarre and unfathomable feeling--I thought to myself that I wished I could relive Saturday afternoon. I walked down Silver Lane to the game in an absolute deluge, my shoes and socks were soaked to the core, pants entirely soaked through, braved the rain and cold, and we lost to a decidedly bad football team. Sometimes I just laugh to myself wondering why I continually go back when we typically lose and I typically leave frustrated. On days like this past Saturday, where the weather becomes some kind of divine representation of the state of the program itself, I sit back and laugh. I smile, look around at the few faithful fans left in the crowd, and fully recognize that I'm nuts. There is some great joy in following something that is so consistently disappointing. It's something that I can count on. I can't properly put it into words, but I have a feeling that a lot of fellow Yarders understand what I'm saying.

Reaction Score
Yup...

Just think back to the 70's and 80's with UConn basketball... A lot like this moment... A lot....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I woke up on Sunday morning with a bizarre and unfathomable feeling--I thought to myself that I wished I could relive Saturday afternoon. I walked down Silver Lane to the game in an absolute deluge, my shoes and socks were soaked to the core, pants entirely soaked through, braved the rain and cold, and we lost to a decidedly bad football team. Sometimes I just laugh to myself wondering why I continually go back when we typically lose and I typically leave frustrated. On days like this past Saturday, where the weather becomes some kind of divine representation of the state of the program itself, I sit back and laugh. I smile, look around at the few faithful fans left in the crowd, and fully recognize that I'm nuts. There is some great joy in following something that is so consistently disappointing. It's something that I can count on. I can't properly put it into words, but I have a feeling that a lot of fellow Yarders understand what I'm saying.

I was at home at 10:30. Had youth soccer early - was already cold and
tired. Literally no one else wants to attend this game with me.

I've been to every home game since 1999 but 1 and I am 95% of way to the decision to just stay home. Not to brag just show than even my excitement has been sapped.

I texted one last friend who for some crazy reason said he was in - I think it was because he needed a ride home from dropping off a rental car but we blared into the aero club at 11:50 and walked into the stadium just after the kick.

Once it stopped raining it wasn't that bad inside the bowl. I was wearing shorts and made it to the end with ease.

I wish more people wouldn't give up but I don't blame them.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Yup...

Just think back to the 70's and 80's with UConn basketball... A lot like this moment... A lot....

I remember going to the field house in the early 1980's on some cold evenings to watch UConn and Seton Hall battle for last place.

Reaction Score

Don't disagree with the premise of your post. Yes indeed, there is something to be said for fans enduring the long time suffering and inevitable setbacks to a program that finally achieves its "moment in the sun". All anyone needs to do, is pay attention to the Chicago Cubs phenomena and their triumph (playing in WS) and final quest (a World Series win). Their fans win party for weeks.

Unfortunately, that's not the world UConn football lives in. Afterall, the Cubs ,despite their years of futility, sprinkled in with a handfull of heartbreaking,missed opportunities, were never relegated to the Minor Leagues and forced to play against Toledo, Syracuse, Pawtucket, etc. Nor did they have to standby powerlessly while the Cardinals, Dodgers, etc, continued to enjoy the riches and prestige of the National League.

No not at all. Rather the Cubs never relinquished their MLB status and continued to prosper at the gate and with their fan base.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Don't disagree with the premise of your post. Yes indeed, there is something to be said for fans enduring the long time suffering and inevitable setbacks to a program that finally achieves its "moment in the sun". All anyone needs to do, is pay attention to the Chicago Cubs phenomena and their triumph (playing in WS) and final quest (a World Series win). Their fans win party for weeks.

Unfortunately, that's not the world UConn football lives in. Afterall, the Cubs ,despite their years of futility, sprinkled in with a handfull of heartbreaking,missed opportunities, were never relegated to the Minor Leagues and forced to play against Toledo, Syracuse, Pawtucket, etc. Nor did they have to standby powerlessly while the Cardinals, Dodgers, etc, continued to enjoy the riches and prestige of the National League.

No not at all. Rather the Cubs never relinquished their MLB status and continued to prosper at the gate and with their fan base.

Agreed. My premise isn't that those who stay away are wrong or anything, it's more that I'm not quite sure why I continue to return and for some reason enjoy the pain. That crappy loss was my favorite game of the season--it was a badge of honor. My childhood friend and I sit with one another and just laugh about how ridiculous the whole situation is.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is as good a place as any to post a comment I made yesterday that got a laugh from a friend.

Saturday's football game was Shea Stadium cold (anyone who ever attended a mid-season or later football game there would understand).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom