Game thread- Stokes starting??? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Game thread- Stokes starting???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ND did not struggle against 10-10 St John's, which might be cause for concern. I'm not sure I buy into the benefits of winning a close game that should not have been close.

Is it just that SD didn't play? Did BB leaving with knee injury hurt morale? Are other players also suffering stomach flu? Did they stay out too late last night in NYC? Did St J suddenly get better? Will they return to form against the next Catholic school on tap?

Hard game to reconcile.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
SJ had more assists, more steals and one less TO.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
ND did not struggle against 10-10 St John's, which might be cause for concern. I'm not sure I buy into the benefits of winning a close game that should not have been close.

Is it just that SD didn't play? Did BB leaving with knee injury hurt morale? Are other players also suffering stomach flu? Did they stay out too late last night in NYC? Did St J suddenly get better? Will they return to form against the next Catholic school on tap?

Hard game to reconcile.
ND did not face the issues that UConn did in the game either.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What really dragged me was the announcers seemingly not aware of the main issues in the game right in front of them; Steff's absence, Bank's injury, Stewie's layups and being pulled and not re-entering and others

Reaction Score
Kelly being interviewed on SNY. Not happy with how the team played. I like her attitude.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that can be said to be true. A lot of stuff was thrown at the team in 40 minutes. Stef scratched right at game time, Brianna foes out with a knee injury, St. John's hits their first 4 3s out of the box, people playing out of position and in odd groupings. It wasn't the game we expected in any way, shape or form. Sometimes that's just what happens and the test is what you do with it.

Granted we were "off" today, but another legitimate question that should be asked is, "Why doesn't St John's play like this more often"? There can be little doubt at this point they have some talent on that team. They beat us last year and pushed us again today. Why do they underperform the rest of the time?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I still wonder if something was going on behind the scenes. The team just looked so different and out of sorts.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Granted we were "off" today, but another legitimate question that should be asked is, "Why doesn't St John's play like this more often"? There can be little doubt at this point they have some talent on that team. They beat us last year and pushed us again today. Why do they underperform the rest of the time?
That is indeed a good question. Some of their losses this year have been heart breakers.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Gut-check win. Never should have come to that, however.

Got to agree - If Stewart could have made a layup today and Tuck could hang on to the ball under the basket would have been a much wider margin - Hope Banks is OK and Stef doesn't miss any more time.

Just goes to show ya how fragile a team's makeup is when upset at the wrong time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I still wonder if something was going on behind the scenes. The team just looked so different and out of sorts.
Stef may not be the only one with a bug.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Let's not forget how well St.J's played in the first half especially.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A few odds and ends.

Obviously, Stef is a huge key to the offense.

Kelly made half of our treys to get to 101 for her career.

Kaleena shot 1-5 from the arc and likely slipped behind Maggie Lucas. But, more importantly, she took the ball to the hoop and made FTs, getting us the win. Put her name on the wall.

When Kelly gets possessed, I just love it!

Look for Bria's shot on the milk carton at breakfast tomorrow. It's clearly missing. Our defense will be on the other side.

The frosh got PT under unexpected conditions. Good experience.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The dirty secret is that UConn's D usually looks great....when the other team gives up by halftime. Not when another team brings the fight for them for 40 mins.
Thank you so much for your interest in UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Kiah was awesome on the boards at the end. Did anyone see Geno's reaction when she banked in the free throw?
GENO AND KELLY WERE INTERVIEWED AFTER THE GAME WATCHED PRAISED KELLY,KML,AND KIAH THE 3 Ks IT was an ugly performance YES
we can come up with positives for future,but what bothered me was being beaten down the court out huscled certain players there is just no
excuse for that KELLY stated honesty that it was a terrible 1st half and not much better in the 2nd half IF SHE CAN SAY IT SO CAN WE AND STILL BE ABOARD THE TRAIN AND BIG SUPPORTERS I SAW SOME GOOD MINUTES FROM TUCK BB DEFENSE BEFORE INJURY ALLOWING US TO PRESS SUCCESSFULLY
I EXPECTED STEWIE TO BREAKOUT TODAY AND WAS DISSAPOINTED SITTING ON THE BENCH WAS DESERVED
BRIA MAY GET PROPS ON THE BOARD BUT HER SHOOTING SUCKS NO OFFENSE LOL
AND KML SHOULD BE SHOOTING MORE DOUBLE DOUBLE FOR HER 15/10
KF WITH 17
UGLY PERFORMANCE SORRY
IRA

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

True, but ND needed overtime to beat USF. Maybe UConn will struggle against USF, and maybe not. If not, I don't think it'll be something that will be a cause concern for ND.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Just heard Chris D on WTIC. I expected her to say others were sick but no such statement was made. Just reiterated the importance of the bench being ready when called upon. (Re: Dolson Banks being out). She was surprisingly upbeat considering the lack of defense. She mentioned that St Johns is a tough matchup for them. Not much quotable.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just heard Chris D on WTIC. I expected her to say others were sick but no such statement was made. Just reiterated the importance of the bench being ready when called upon. (Re: Dolson Banks being out). She was surprisingly upbeat considering the lack of defense. She mentioned that St Johns is a tough matchup for them. Not much quotable.
They rarely make such comments. They kind of had to say something about Stef not starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom