Game thoughts, First Round of AAC Tourney | The Boneyard

Game thoughts, First Round of AAC Tourney

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Figured I'd better post this before the 2nd round game starts in what, an hour or so?

1. My biggest concern with Jalen has been a tendency toward petulance in the face of adversity. Last night it showed itself as apparent disinterest. I can't help but to remain concerned about his maturity.
  2. Aside from the poor shooting and 4 turnovers, Jalen did not get to the free throw line until there were 26 seconds left in the game. Not getting to the line enough is a common complaint against him, but not getting there at all? That seems almost impossible for a primary ball handler.
  3. Rodney's stat line for the night -- 9/17, 3/6 from 3, 9/10 FT, 6 boards, 3 steals, 2 blocks, no turnovers and 1 foul. That's just sick. Could not be happier for him. And like I said in the chat. His last 3 pointer was all balls. 3 seconds on the shot clock and he puts up a fallaway from 24 feet? Wow.
  4. Facey did NOT have a good game, and was shooting front rim all night long, when he managed to get it up without being stripped or bumped out of position. But his problem at about 15:00 in the first half was entirely on Jalen, who threw a lob that wasn't, and Facey ended up catching it cleanly, too far under the basket and seriously double-teamed. Can't help but think that a proper lob at that point might have got some adrenaline flowing and helped him clear his head. His offensive foul call at the 10 minute mark in the 2nd was just a bad call. But neither of those two instances explain why he played so poorly in what could have been his last collegiate game.
  5. A lot of talk in the chat last night about how Facey's been bad for a while, but I disagree. His shot has been off for the last couple, but nothing like last night, and he'd still been rebounding and getting to the line (and shining there). But last night was awful on an unprecedented level. 2 points, 4 TO, 4 fouls and worst of all, only 3 boards, in 19 minutes. His last real clunker game previous to last night was the first Cinci game in early February.
  6. I thought Bibby looked kind of ordinary last night. I seem to remember him being a bright spot for them the previous games. The only thing notable he did was a major flop with a minute to go in the 1st half. Vital came in from the left elbow and got an offensive rebound, and Bibby just took a dive out of bounds. Vital got called and it was a horrendous call.
  7. Enoch had a strange game, but I'll take the output. He didn't look nearly as bad on defense, except when called upon to defend the pick & roll. Not sure how a man of his size and strength can spend 13 minutes in the paint and only get two rebounds. Still, two boards, a block and 6 for 6 from the line is a decent enough line, and he was a mostly positive force out there, except when he had to defend the pick & roll, anyway.
That's it for that game. My mind is on Houston now.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This is the third thread in which I've defended Jalen, but I'll do it again.

Your second point suggests you're unaware that Jalen has a bad ankle. That injury is relevant, IMO, to both your second point and the "bad body language" discussed in your first.

Bad shooting? He was 3-6 from the floor. He lacked his usual explosiveness so he wasn't forcing things but one thing he wasn't doing is chucking.

And blaming Facey's horrific game on Jalen making one subpar pass?

I always love these write-ups, Rich, but I'm not buying what you're selling here.

Reaction Score
Spot on in regards to JA and I am concerned for next season. He looked disinterested and showed no leadership or heart. Khalid, Kemba, Shabazz, Boatright never would have played with that same lack of energy. Even when Marcas Williams didn't feel like playing he scored 8-10 points. And don't try to tell me his ankle sprain is the reason for his lack of effort. When Khalid severely sprained his ankle in the tourney, he still played his balls off and showed heart.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Spot on in regards to JA and I am concerned for next season. He looked disinterested and showed no leadership or heart. Khalid, Kemba, Shabazz, Boatright never would have played with that same lack of energy. Even when Marcas Williams didn't feel like playing he scored 8-10 points. And don't try to tell me his ankle sprain is the reason for his lack of effort. When Khalid severely sprained his ankle in the tourney, he still played his balls off and showed heart.

Well, I've been defending JA in every thread and you've been ragging on him.

Not every ankle sprain is the same. He played 37 minutes last night. He averages 36 a game. He's no p----y.

I've played basketball with various injuries. Pulled hammies and calves, broken ribs, sprained ankle, hairline fractures in fingers. I would think most people have and can understand what a nagging or painful injury can do to your game.

I'm surprised to see a guy playing with injuries and averaging 36 freaking minutes a game getting trashed like this.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I think the narrative that Jalen's petulant or not a leader is one of the more ridiculous things this board has come up with in recent memory. Dude just gave us 38 minutes on a bad ankle and people think he's mentally checked out because of two bad passes?

JFC. What a bunch of headcases we have on the board, and I pray to god not neither Jalen nor any other Husky ever visits the boneyard.

Reaction Score
Well, I've been defending JA in every thread and you've been ragging on him.

Not every ankle sprain is the same. He played 37 minutes last night. He averages 36 a game. He's no p----y.

I've played basketball with various injuries. Pulled hammies and calves, broken ribs, sprained ankle, hairline fractures in fingers. I would think most people have

and can understand what a nagging or painful injury can do to your game.

I'm surprised to see a guy playing with injuries and averaging 36 freaking minutes a game getting trashed like this.

Trust me , I totally get the injury part and if he can't really contribute athletically, as the leader of the team, he can show emotion and keep the team pumped up and focused.

Reaction Score

Your second point suggests you're unaware that Jalen has a bad ankle. That injury is relevant, IMO, to both your second point and the "bad body language" discussed in your first.

Bad shooting? He was 3-6 from the floor. He lacked his usual explosiveness so he wasn't forcing things but one thing he wasn't doing is chucking.

I always love these write-ups, Rich, but I'm not buying what you're selling here.

Well to be fair, Rich did write that Jalen's poor pass had nothing to do with why Kentan played so poorly.

I'm not really concerned about Jalen's attitude. The kid is hurt and the season has obviously worn on the entire team. I've seen enough of him to realize the kid is a gamer and has an enormous will to win. I know this sounds trite but I think next year will make this very obvious. Its interesting how differently the board views Jalen. I don't think Rich is negative about JA, especially compared to others, but I view him as a bright spot in this cluster of a season and I can't wait for him to take his next step.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the narrative that Jalen's petulant or not a leader is one of the more ridiculous things this board has come up with in recent memory.

Especially the ones who continue to misstate the past.

Khalid wasn't Willis Reed against Tennessee and Kemba, Shabazz and Ricky all struggled in similar fashion early on in their careers. (You want petulant? Shabazz was a straight sulk as a soph. Ben Gordon and Khalid...same.)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

I'll give you jalen's shooting, but I wasn't blaming Facey's game on Jalen's lousy pass, and I made that pretty clear.

Reaction Score
Especially the ones who continue to misstate the past.

Khalid wasn't Willis Reed against Tennessee and Kemba, Shabazz and Ricky all struggled in similar fashion early on in their careers. (You want petulant? Shabazz was a straight sulk as a soph. Ben Gordon and Khalid...same.)

You are correct, maturity is a huge part of it and if JA needs to start maturing quick.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'll give you jalen's shooting, but I wasn't blaming Facey's game on Jalen's lousy pass, and I made that pretty clear.

Well you said "I can't help but think a good pass would have helped clear Facey's head" before saying you weren't blaming the pass. for KF's awful play, so that's kind of a mixed signal.

Just defending my man Jalen. As @walker11 said, he's been a bright spot in a dismal season. JA could have really checked out / lashed out, and he hasn't.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
You are correct, maturity is a huge part of it and if JA needs to start maturing quick.
There's zero evidence of immaturity from him – he's doggedly run the offense, game after game, and produced better numbers than any of us can hope for.

This thread is just a bunch of crazy old men staring at the screen and imagining things that aren't actually there.

Reaction Score
There's zero evidence of immaturity from him – he's doggedly run the offense, game after game, and produced better numbers than any of us can hope for.

This thread is just a bunch of crazy old men staring at the screen and imagining things that aren't actually there.

LOL Head bang

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Maybe I did a worse job of relaying my thoughts about last night's game than our guys did of playing it. I love Jalen's normal game. But his normal game wasn't there last night, and his body language just gave me a bad vibe.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The one that bothered me the most was the pass that went off Adams' back after Brimah's block. As the point guard, shouldn't he be looking for that?

But a bad ankle, and the inability to perform to your capabilities, can be distracting. I'll give him that.

Reaction Score
Maybe I did a worse job of relaying my thoughts about last night's game than our guys did of playing it. I love Jalen's normal game. But his normal game wasn't there last night, and his body language just gave me a bad vibe.

Ehh. Jalen does have poor body language on occasion and sometimes seems aloof and I don't have an issue with bringing that up. The idea that he lacks maturity and leadership skills is what the objection is especially considering context and history. You didn't go that far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom