Game of Thrones | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones

Reaction Score
Can't believe what went down tonight. Nuts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people who did not read the books are going to have a big problem with how Season 3 ends.

In the book, then the events of tonight's episode occur, it is a "holy I can't believe the author just did that" moment. It was still shocking to me tonight, and I had read the books. If I was watching on TV, and hadn't read the books, I would be thinking to myself right now: "I just invested 3 years into this incredibly complex swords and sorcerers TV show, and the mofo writers just did that to me? Forget them", and move on to a show that doesn't try to punch me in the face.

There are certain aspects of the plot that just do not translate well from the books to TV, and this is one of them. I think the show producers have done a very good job of emphasizing a lot of over characters and plotlines so that it doesn't seem like they lit the entire plotline on fire tonight. Just most of it.

I've been thinking the same ever since I watched that episode tonight. If I hadn't read the books I would probably turn the damn thing off and not go back - all the show does is punch you directly in the balls - again and again and again. However, after watching that episode it reminds that the books also do this to the reader, and are continuing to do so. All I can say is, something non-ball punching better happen in the next book (not that at anything terribly devastating happens in 4 or 5 - they're just kind of...slow.)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are some big stunners from Book 3 still to come, but it looks like those will shift to Season 4 of the TV show.

I read the first 5 books back to back to back, and I have to say that when I got to the Epilogue of Book 3, the crap heard around Westeros, I actually wondered if that was the end of the series, and what the other books would be about.

It appears that Martin wasn't so sure himself with Book 4, although Book 5 gets him back on track. I thought Book 5 was the second best book of the series after 3.

Reaction Score
Was watching last night with the family & some friends. The Mrs. & my friend's wife were so stunned by the events that they're not sure if they want to invest any more time in the program. I looked at it as a compaction of characters. If this is really a GAME of Thrones, eventually there has to be finalists vying for the ultimate prize.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Was watching last night with the family & some friends. The Mrs. & my friend's wife were so stunned by the events that they're not sure if they want to invest any more time in the program. I looked at it as a compaction of characters. If this is really a GAME of Thrones, eventually there has to be finalists vying for the ultimate prize.

You are absolutely right. I think this season flirted with spiraling out of control because there were so many disparate plot lines. One of the things the show does not do is provide any segue between say Jon and the Wildlings and Tywin, Sansa, Joffrey, Cersei and Tyrion at Kings Landing and Robb, Kat and Edmure at Riverrun and the freakshow at Harrenhall and Theon and Yunkai and Brienne/Jaime and Samwell/Gilly and Bran's motley crew and Arya/Hound. There is nothing on the screen to tell you that you are somewhere else which gets a little confusing. You are just supposed to know where they are when a scene starts.

Well, there is one less major plot line after last night.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I wish roose had said Jamie lannister sends his regards instead of the lannisters send their regards.

Reaction Score
I tried to see the positive and here it is: when the leading cause of death in your kingdom is murder you don't have to worry about second hand smoke. Man that was just deflating, reasonable in terms of the climate the show has built but the opposite of entertaining.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
heh... the Onion has a write-up from GRRM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/oh--i-totally-forgot-that-happens,32673/
Oh *, I Totally Forgot That Happens!

Reaction Score
My friends were liking this to an NCAA tournament and it was funny trying to associate a team with a clan. Here's what we came up with.

Targaryen (Kentucky)
Keeps talking about their blue blood history and amassing desirable armies (recruits) thanks to the lure of the dragons (WWW).

Lannisters (Duke)
Held together by the patriarch (Coach K) and a huge war chest (endowment). Has some marginal help in Tyrion (Wojo) and Cersei (any duke player...how about that albino guy). Hoping it comes down to Daenerys beating the crap out of Joffrey.

Starks (UCONN)
Biased because Robb Stark does not take the escalator. He goes old school and builds his army through battles or alliances.

Baratheon (Louisville)
Stannis (Pitino) and Melisandrae (well you know who to insert here) might be the dark horse because they got that metaphysical thing going with the lord of light that can counter the dragons.

Wildling Force (Arizona)
Has the heart but short of talent and won't amount to much in the end.

White Walkers (Syracuse)
Only picks their battles beyond The Wall. Does not travel anywhere else. Lost a battle against Samwell Tarly (Vermont).

Needless to say I was pissed with the last episode.

Reaction Score
fwiw: What's with the separate thread on the hoops board? Even when I advised checking out this thread, that thread keeps growing. There are a cloistered few who refuse to visit I think. Time for Fishy to do some cleanup & merge the threads?

Reaction Score
Wildling Force (Arizona)
Has the heart but short of talent and won't amount to much in the end.

I absolutely love the breakdown. I would change the wildling force to Indiana though. Made some moves in the past to reach the top. Crazy leader and all.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The basketball comparable, continued

Arryn (UCLA) - blue blood whose best days are long behind it. Also bringing in a new coach.

Tully (Gonzaga) - well respected, but lose most of the big matchups.

Tyrrell (UNC) - a major power that seems to keep underachieving

Dothraki (Pitt) - violent and effective at what they do, but one dimensional and not a threat to win it all.

Grey joy (West Virginia) - quick out of gate, not strong at finishing. Ultimately little more than annoying barbarians.

Texas (Martell) - way down south. Considered a major player despite modest accomplishments, not sure if they are genius, crazy, or idiots.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bolton (Maryland) - annoying program run by a scumbag (when sweaty was in charge) that thought they were major players but really weren't.

Reaction Score
Starks (UCONN)
Biased because Robb Stark does not take the escalator. He goes old school and builds his army through battles or alliances.

Needless to say I was pissed with the last episode.

And yet it fits so well. Like the Starks, UConn wins most of the battles, yet gets beheaded by political and vindictive maneuverings outside of its control (conference realignment, double jeopardy punishment for APR). And like the Starks, they're down but not out. They even have the right mascot - a husky is a more wolfish dog than many.

Reaction Score
And yet it fits so well. Like the Starks, UConn wins most of the battles, yet gets beheaded by political and vindictive maneuverings outside of its control (conference realignment, double jeopardy punishment for APR). And like the Starks, they're down but not out. They even have the right mascot - a husky is a more wolfish dog than many.

I find myself vigorously nodding in agreement, especially with the first part.

Reaction Score
How did I not see this thread earlier! Look at my avatar for the gods sakes.

Just finished book 3 so I can't look at the other thread yet but from what I've heard number 4 is sort of a let down. Doesn't matter I can't put them down as everyone says. Haven't read a book in a couple years since college, never cared much for reading. Luckily I've been locked in maegors holdfast for the last 2 months and was able to quickly get through 3k pages.

As for the show, I like to think of it as a stand alone entity. Too many of us readers get bogged down in the missing details of the show. ill admit some changes they make irk me if they are unnecessary ones. The show only has so much time and money, it's not easy adapting a series with such a large scope. The show is always going to lack large battles scenes and I've made my peace with that. Wolves and dragons are costly to put on screen and hard to act with. CGI must cost more than we think

The bear they used was a real trained bear and looked sufficiently awesome but there's only so much so you do with a trained bear. The CGI dragons look amazing and the actors do a great job acting around "nothing". I hope this series makes it to the end if there ever is an end. GRRM isn't the healthiest or the youngest guy and he takes about 7 years to finish each book.

Reaction Score
If book 4 and 5 are as slow as people say the tv show might have to take too many liberties on them. Makes me nervous but as long as the show doesn't get cancelled I'm sticking with it. I'm just guessing but I'd imagine the wights are going to have a major role in atleast one of the seasons so that's gonna be tough to do on screen. Does anyone know when the next book is due to come out? The Winds of Winter.

Reaction Score
I too, like others hate fantasy and I won't read the books. I'm shocked that I enjoy this show so much. Sunday night was obviously a shock. I'm glad I didn't get to it until Tuesday because there is no way I would have slept. Looking forward to the season finale ( I think)

Reaction Score
Apparently TV guide magazine ruined the surprise for my parents who are a week or two behind. Why do thy publish spoilers 3 days after airing? Was looking forward to an angry phone call from my dad.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Book 5 is great. 4 slows down a bit. Part of the problem with 4 is that book 3 is so awesome.

This is the only fantasy genre series I could tolerate, much less enjoy.

Reaction Score
Maybe they'll combine book 4 and part of 5 in one season to compensate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have avoided this show because I generally hate fantasy BS. When Zoo and Waylon take same stance and throw support I figured why not try. First episode was pretty good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom