Game Day! At Providence at 7:00 p.m. on SNY. Some Thoughts on a Very Different Season. | The Boneyard

Game Day! At Providence at 7:00 p.m. on SNY. Some Thoughts on a Very Different Season.

Reaction Score
The last regular season game is tonight. It's been a year that began with the greatest of anticipation, with talk of an undefeated season. It's hard to believe that many of us had concerns about the projected lack of playing time because we were so loaded. Instead, an achilles tear, 2 ACLs, lumbar surgery that was not healed, and a lingering concussive syndrome changed what we were expecting. We have two freshmen starting and our first two players off the bench are also freshmen. We've had 5 losses, all by double digits, something inconceivable when we were all healthy. Yet here we are. Through it all we persevered, and our 4 freshmen were the beneficiaries of extensive playing time and experience while our seniors evolved their games and leadership skills. The talk now is that our frosh have hit the proverbial wall, as we have not seen memorable games from any of them most recently. Perhaps. But after tonight's game, we draw a thick line on the scorecard. It's a new season and the question is whether the Geno team metamorphosis will now take place as we get ready for the post season with a week to prepare for the BE tourney.

Then there are our beloved seniors. Aaliyah is a bona fide All- American and probably the best and most versatile power forward in the country but forced to play out of position all year. Nika had to develop an offensive game, and worked her you know what off by her own admission and showed a pull up jumper, more accurate 3 ball, and a sweet scoop lay up. Many of us want her to shoot more as we search for a consistent third scorer. Her defense remains just plain sick and her on the court antics, gestures and fire are simply the best. She also has a real shot at the all time assist mark and we would like to see a big number tonight.

That leaves Paige. A hero and icon already who has battled back from two serious injuries and surgeries and, despite what almost everyone else thinks, is the best all around player in the country. Her defense this year, playing at the 4 position has been extraordinary. And finally now, we are seeing Paige back to almost completely her old form, except stronger, smarter, showing in every game her dazzling array of moves and shots. And best of all, we get to see her again next year. When the biggest knock on you as a player is that you are too unselfish, there is something very right about who you are. But now is the time to change all that. She may wind up having to get 30 every night for us but who else does that taking only 15 shots? You can take 25 a game, we won't mind at all.

How far will we go? You tell me. Wherever we get to, we get to, but I have grown to truly love this team along the way. It just has been a long, strange trip and one that no one could have anticipated so many months ago.

Reaction Score
Most years the other teams have to hope for UConn to fall because of poor matchups but this year UConn is the team needing some help. Geno built this team a specific way and as long as the get that matchup they will go far and could make a Final Four. If they end up with South Carolina or Stanford I don't think they have a chance overcoming their talent and their length at the same time. Like LSU last year they needs some help to win it all but will play hard and be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
When the biggest knock on you as a player is that you are too unselfish, there is something very right about who you are.
Yes, YES, YES!!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Not sure Fox will show this game?
Can't watch this game if you don't have direct access to SNY.
The UConn at Providence game was streamed live on the Fox Sports App, just like every other SNY broadcast. And maybe the replay will be available on the Fox Sports App later, just like the previous two SNY broadcasts.

Reaction Score
Can't watch this game if you don't have direct access to SNY.
I don't have SNY (live in LA area) but I can watch SNY through Fox Sports. (see my previous post to watch this live game)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom