Gabby | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gabby

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I noticed right away that both she and K. Nurse run heads up, surveying the floor, ready for anything. They have beautiful stances.

Reaction Score
Once she can hit the mid range jumper than teams have to play her close so she can pump fake and blow by the defender is going to be special to watch. She's getting better each game. I can't wait to see what our other freshman Ekmark brings. This class is fearless

Reaction Score
Once she can hit the mid range jumper than teams have to play her close so she can pump fake and blow by the defender is going to be special to watch. She's getting better each game. I can't wait to see what our other freshman Ekmark brings. This class is fearless
I think she made one today.
So did MoJett.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Was wondering if the kinesio tape on Gabby's shoulder was a by product of one of her injuries the last 2 years, then I happened to catch a segment of a "Geno Auriemma" show. There's Gabby in the back of a huddle with no tape and some "visible" tattoos on the shoulder in question.

Mystery solved. UCONN women do not have "visible tattoos" on the court !

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

I am wondering how Ek is progressing. Anyone have info?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Assuming the starting lineup of Butler, Tuck, Stewie, MJ and Nurse next year we could very well see Gabby as the first player off the bench at either the 2 or as a wing. Her versatility will make her incredibly valuable and add minutes of playing time. The best part for all of us as fans is that she is so much fun to watch!
Once she gets her ball handling skills back, she is a potential 2-3 or 4!!!! Her versatility is incredible!

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I don't believe I have seen a(n undersized) freshman go into the middle like she does and make such an impression. She has steadily improved game by game. Tonight, 6-10 with 7 rebounds... She will continue to improve this year. Next year, she will work inside and outside, just like Geno wants, any position or all positions, mix it up....

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
excuse my being picky, but South Carolina does have at least one other pretty fair player in junior Tiffany Mitchell, a pre-season All American.
They have a few other very high quality players. Freshman Bianca Cuevas looks awesome. Coates is no slouch. And I think It's Welch? That looked like a real gamer. They have enormous talent- whether they can put it together as a team- is the question.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Yes indeed, and other pretty good players as well.

I would have loved to have had A'ja at UConn.
Yes indeed, and other pretty good players as well.

I would have loved to have had A'ja at UConn.
She is already showing why she was the #1 pick. She can score from anywhere on the floor.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
LOL. What a ridiculous post. SC has 5 future WNBA players, possibly 6 if White develops at the post. She certainly has the body.
They are loaded with talent- and veteran talent. And if Cuevas comes along fast- by March/April they have the Chess Pieces to be formidable.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
So what is the Geno Scale?
How does "Unbelievable" rank with "Really good" and "Really, really good"?
It's Really Really hard to explain the difference- really!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
HU- you just hit the nail on the head. The second she begins to pop 12-18 ft shots, it's all over. Look at what that has done for Morgan, who is extremely quick for a big. Gabby then becomes a totally impossible match up nightmare from the 4 spot!!! Been 3 rows from the court today and in Bridgeport. When you see what she does close up and at eye level, it is really impressive. And as Doris Burke would say- "she hasn't even come close to figuring it out yet!" :) she is the last piece of our puzzle that makes very very very difficult to beat. She shows signs of improvement every new trip on the court. She's as strong as an ox, and is a real thorobred. When we add next year's 3 thorobreds, no one is going to be able to keep up with our up tempo game.

Reaction Score
Gabby - Appropriately named, because a lot of people are going to be talking about her many talents.

Reaction Score
From the Jacobs article, there's Gabby talking about the leg she injured:

"I think I can jump even higher now," Williams said. "My right leg, I never really used it before I got hurt. Rehabbing, using it, using it, using it, I focused so much on making it stronger."

The motive force for high jumping comes heavily from the takeoff leg; Gabby injured her other leg. Thinking about it, I do wonder if the lopsided development of her legs contributed to her injuries. I believe it's thought that women are more apt to let the knee joint absorb the impact of landing instead of the muscles, and this is one of the reasons why they get more ACL tears. Perhaps the muscles of her right leg weren't as well conditioned to tense and absorb the impact.

This is all academic though, because we will never know what exactly was the primary cause of this particular knee tear. Going forward, we can just hope the knees hold up; Gabby could be something else if they do. :)

Reaction Score
I agree she is going to stay right where she is. Her skill set does not transfer to the guard position. I know she played guard in high school but that was because in high school the best athlete usually handles the ball the most and she was the best athlete. IMHO I think she will be a great player at the small forward position for UConn. She has great hops and will become a great rebounder the more she learns how to gain position and read the ball coming off the rim. She also has a great understanding of using the backboard and once she develops a face up game that she can use to either drive off of or shoot the mid range jump shot out of.

sawxfa23- - - You're right on! Remember everyone, Jamille Elliot and Barb Turner were forwards with 6' bodies and they did quite well for their UCONN careers! Gabby is going to stay at SF and offer a different skill set than the normal forward! Her athletic ability and the coaching staff proding will more than makeup for her size! She was close to a world-class Olympic Highjumper in HS!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Yeah, yeah, but when will we see this high-jumper dunk?:p

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Yeah, yeah, but when will we see this high-jumper dunk?:p

just after Stewie does, I'd guess. There were a couple of times last night, when I thought TBS was a bit tempted, but, she held strong...

Reaction Score
Wow. She is impressive. And as a freshman coming off injuries? Double wow. Fun hearing the murmuring in the crowd when she snagged another rebound "She was a guard?" She seems to have a real talent for leaping for an offensive rebound and adjusting then shooting before hitting the floor. She had some freshman moments when she got into trouble, but far fewer than we have any right to expect. Really hope she stays healthy and we can watch her through the years.

Reaction Score
sawxfa23- - - You're right on! Remember everyone, Jamille Elliot and Barb Turner were forwards with 6' bodies and they did quite well for their UCONN careers! Gabby is going to stay at SF and offer a different skill set than the normal forward! Her athletic ability and the coaching staff proding will more than makeup for her size! She was close to a world-class Olympic Highjumper in HS!

For this year, I agree that she will stay at the SF position. But remember who's coming in next year as wings, Collier and Samuelson not to mention Boykin. Someone will have to play in the backcourt or sit on the bench.

DING, DING DING... 1,000

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
For this year, I agree that she will stay at the SF position. But remember who's coming in next year as wings, Collier and Samuelson not to mention Boykin. Someone will have to play in the backcourt or sit on the bench.

DING, DING DING... 1,000

While true about Samuelson, Collier and Boykin, don't count Gabby out as the small forward. Her instincts around the basket are uncanny for a frosh who hasn't played in two years because of injuries. Her leaping ability negates those who may be 2 or 3 inches taller. Her quickness, to me, is surprising. And she has a strong body. Her learning curve is much better than most anticipated - ask Kia.

Does she have to develop - yes. If she can master the mid-range jumper, a lost skill in my eyes, she can be deadly from the 2, 3 or 4 position. This means she will become a nightmare match-up for many teams. Her defense will develop. She's making some freshman mistakes, but very few. Her ability to rebound will grow as she learns how to read shots and position herself and box out her man.

Like Stewie, who can play the 2, 3, 4 or 5, Gabby will become a versatile player who gives Geno more options as time goes on. It will also make us more difficult to defend.

Yes, somebody is going to be on the bench, but what a nice problem to have!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's impossible not to be impressed by Gabby. She makes her presence felt as soon as she hits the floor. She's not just a special athlete, she seems to have the instincts to go with it. She's a player who Geno won't want to keep on the bench.

Reaction Score
It's impossible not to be impressed by Gabby. She makes her presence felt as soon as she hits the floor. She's not just a special athlete, she seems to have the instincts to go with it. She's a player who Geno won't want to keep on the bench.

I'm very impressed with her play. Perhaps most of all, I'm impressed with how well she's playing considering that she really hasn't played for 2 years.
It's difficult enough for a freshman who has been playing year round to contribute at UConn in her first year. For one that has been rehabbing instead of playing in that time span and then contribute meaningful minutes virtually right away is impressive indeed. When she gets confidence in her mid range jumper, there'll be no guarding her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom