Gabby | The Boneyard

Gabby

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I hope and believe that the AAC season will be used as Gabby's mid-season training camp. She has enormous potential and could be a huge plus to this team down the road. She needs lots of minutes and I think Geno will give them to her as long as she doesn't practice her way out of them.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I turned my head momentarily during the game and when I turned back, I saw Kiah Stokes go high for a defensive rebound in traffic, slapping the ball with authority while doing so (the kind of board where you can hear it when the rebound is made).

Then I saw the number on the jersey - and it wasn't #41 !

It was Gabby who skied for that board. Eyebrows thusly raised, I made a mental note. :)

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I turned my head momentarily during the game and when I turned back, I saw Kiah Stokes go high for a defensive rebound in traffic, slapping the ball with authority while doing so (the kind of board where you can hear it when the rebound is made).

It was Gabby who skied for that board. Eyebrows thusly raised, I made a mental note. :)

I absolutely had the very same reaction to that play. No doubt in my mind that we are thinking about the same play.

Reaction Score
Gabby is a key player for Uconns future. I see her role this year as coming of the bench like a ball of energy. rebounding put back and she has the ability to make good post moves and create her own shot. Next year i see her moving back out to the perimeter more as a lock down defender and giving us needed depth at the guard position after the graduation of Lewis. Even this year when we play teams with 4 guards don't be surprised to see her in the line up shutting one down. We need her more in the post this season.

Reaction Score
Assuming the starting lineup of Butler, Tuck, Stewie, MJ and Nurse next year we could very well see Gabby as the first player off the bench at either the 2 or as a wing. Her versatility will make her incredibly valuable and add minutes of playing time. The best part for all of us as fans is that she is so much fun to watch!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Gabby is going to get significant minutes. Her leaping ability is impressive. Also noticed when she gets the ball low, she has some moves to get to the hoop and put it in.

She, along with Chong and Stokes will give Geno a legit 8 woman rotation.

Reaction Score
I hope and believe that the AAC season will be used as Gabby's mid-season training camp. She has enormous potential and could be a huge plus to this team down the road. She needs lots of minutes and I think Geno will give them to her as long as she doesn't practice her way out of them.

Whose minutes do you decrease? And what are you going to do with Ekmark? The more mintues to Gabby and Chong- maybe you redshirt CE?

You still want to give Stewie and Tuck and KML a good deal of minutes and as well as MoJeff and Nurse. And of course Stokes (Stokes deserves at least 20 doesn't she?). We're still adjusting without our two past seniors. Too many turnovers so we want these tremendous players to get good amount of minutes together. Chong needs minutes too and would you consider the last 2-3 minutes of a game valuable?

The type of premiere recruits --Stewie and KML and MoJeff and Tuck etc didn't come to UCONN to sit and right now they are the best. Not sure of the message you'd send to premiere recruits if you don't give the super players sufficent time.

I definitely see Gabby getting minutes but when you say "A lot" I am not sure we have the same definition of "a lot" including "meaningful."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whose minutes do you decrease? And what are you going to do with Ekmark? The more mintues to Gabby and Chong- maybe you redshirt CE?

You still want to give Stewie and Tuck and KML a good deal of minutes and as well as MoJeff and Nurse. And of course Stokes (Stokes deserves at least 20 doesn't she?). We're still adjusting without our two past seniors. Too many turnovers so we want these tremendous players to get good amount of minutes together. Chong needs minutes too and would you consider the last 2-3 minutes of a game valuable?

The type of premeire recruits --Stewie and KML and MoJeff and Tuck etc didn't come to UCONN to sit and right now they are the best. Not usre of the message you'd send to premiere recruits if you don't give the super palyers sufficent time.

I definitely see Gabby getting minutes but when you say "A lot" I am not sure we have the same definition of "a lot" including "meaningful."
You can't red shirt Ekmark. She's already played this year, so it's too late.

Reaction Score
Tuck played in 8 games last yr and red shirted. I think that might be the
magic number. (can't play over 20% of the games, something like that).

Reaction Score
The problem, as I understand it, is that since Courtney has already played, she can't
receive a non-medical redshirt, and in order to get a medical redshirt she would need
to be certified by a physician as unable to play for the rest of the season.

Last year, Morgan went under the knife and was thus clearly done for the season.
The same can't be said for Courtney. She will be able to play eventually.

Reaction Score
Courtney only played in exhibition games and no real games of the season. Why can't she redshirt if it were warranted.

Reaction Score
The problem, as I understand it, is that since Courtney has already played, she can't
receive a non-medical redshirt, and in order to get a medical redshirt she would need
to be certified by a physician as unable to play for the rest of the season.

Last year, Morgan went under the knife and was thus clearly done for the season.
The same can't be said for Courtney. She will be able to play eventually.
Jessica Moore redshirted for non medical reasons

Reaction Score
Courtney only played in exhibition games and no real games of the season. Why can't she redshirt if it were warranted.

So UC Davis is now just an exhibition game ? I know the score may make it look like one, but no.

Reaction Score

Courtney played in the UC Davis game (19 min), and Jess never played a game the
year she redshirted.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Jessica Moore redshirted for non medical reasons

There really is no such thing as a "redshirt" and I think this leads to a lot of confusion.

Every athlete has 5 years to use their 4 seasons of eligibility. Jessica Moore and Heather Buck both sat out a full season and used their 5 years to use up their 4 years of eligibility. No waiver was needed or applied for. Courtney played 19 minutes against UC Davis. Once Courtney played, she has used her first season of eligibility. The only way she could be granted this year of eligibility back is by a medical waiver. One of the criteria to successfully be granted a medical waiver is for a season ending injury to occur before the athlete completes 30% of the total games (and does not play in the second half of the season). Courtney obviously has not participated in 30% of the games yet nor has she competed in a second half game but her injury is not one that is season ending as she is projected to be available in 3-5 weeks from now.

Does that clear it up?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

My reaction - Hey! That wasn't Stokes!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Next year i see her moving back out to the perimeter more as a lock down defender and giving us needed depth at the guard position after the graduation of Lewis. Even this year when we play teams with 4 guards don't be surprised to see her in the line up shutting one down. We need her more in the post this season.

Geno's recent comments lead me to believe he sees Gabby's future as a wingish forward and not a guard. He compared her to Tamika Williams and Swin Cash and basically said she didn't have the requisite skills to play on the perimeter.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Gabby was very solid in her limited minutes of than the two TOs.

Reaction Score
At UConn you have to earn floor time by getting better. UConn will make Gabby a much better player. I think she will rival A'ja Wilson in future years (if she doesn't already).

Last edited by a moderator:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I thought she has to play a certain amount of games?
That's for an NCAA 'Hardship Waiver' like Morgan Tuck received, Courtney can't redshirt at this point. The moment she entered the game against against UC-Davis her RS was gone. She'll be fine, according to all available reports she's progressing on schedule on doing her rehab work.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
At UConn you have to earn floor time by getting better. UConn will make Gabby a much better player. I think she will rival Wilson in future years (if she doesn't already).
Maybe A'ja Wilson chose South Carolina over UConn for the very reasons she, plainly and clearly, stated, she wanted to play for Dawn Staley and close to home. Every player UConn and its fans want isn't interested in coming to to UConn, despite what its fans believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Maybe A'ja Wilson chose South Carolina over UConn for the very reasons she, plainly and clearly, stated, she wanted to play for Dawn Staley and close to home. Every player UConn and its fans want isn't interested in coming to to UConn, despite what its fans believe.
That's what she said. She wanted to play for Staley. It's premature to evaluate her playing ability and upside based on this season so far. I imagine Geno would love to have her on his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom