Gabby Williams | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Speak for yourself!

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I put my pants on both legs at once. ;)
TMI

On second thought, my apologies if you suffer from some sort of disability.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So on the Men's board some are just unnecessarily bashing the women's game but over here we have people who think they know more about coaching major D1 women's basketball than Geno....interesting place The Boneyard is...interesting place.

Yes it is an interesting place. The fans of the men's team repeatedly tell us they hate women's basketball yet the thread on the loss to Stanford now stands at 167 posts. We're told the discussion is just about the basketball yet we're also told they hate the basketball. How does one explain this?

What's going on here, particularly the post after post about Geno's flaws as a coach, is pretty much a reflection of how we react to famous people in this country, particularly famous coaches because sports is the one arena in which the average fan believes he or she knows as much as a coach no matter how successful that coach is. Here, there's nothing like a UConn WBB loss -- and all it takes is one loss -- to renew the faith of many that all of us, particularly Geno, put our pants on one leg at a time. Many here highlight (or delight in) Geno's flaws that led to this loss or the losses from previous seasons. If you ask these fans whether UConn should be expected to win every game and they'll tell you, quite rationally, that it's unrealistic to expect to win every game. Yet, they'll explain how Geno is responsible for every loss suffered over the past few years. In other words, despite what the rational side of their brains say, there is a another part of their brain that says but for Geno's flaws and failures the UConn women would never lose a game, ever. Maybe the explanation for this is as simple as some here feeling better about themselves knowing and demonstrating that Geno is fallible. All men are created equal.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Yes it is an interesting place. The fans of the men's team repeatedly tell us they hate women's basketball yet the thread on the loss to Stanford now stands at 167 posts. We're told the discussion is just about the basketball yet we're also told they hate the basketball. How does one explain this?

What's going on here, particularly the post after post about Geno's flaws as a coach, is pretty much a reflection of how we react to famous people in this country, particularly famous coaches because sports is the one arena in which the average fan believes he or she knows as much as a coach no matter how successful that coach is. Here, there's nothing like a UConn WBB loss -- and all it takes is one loss -- to renew the faith of many that all of us, particularly Geno, put our pants on one leg at a time. Many here highlight (or delight in) Geno's flaws that led to this loss or the losses from previous seasons. If you ask these fans whether UConn should be expected to win every game and they'll tell you, quite rationally, that it's unrealistic to expect to win every game. Yet, they'll explain how Geno is responsible for every loss suffered over the past few years. In other words, despite what the rational side of their brains say, there is a another part of their brain that says but for Geno's flaws and failures the UConn women would never lose a game, ever. Maybe the explanation for this is as simple as some here feeling better about themselves knowing and demonstrating that Geno is fallible. All men are created equal.

You're the real MVP.

Reaction Score
They started 'official' practice 1 week later than is allowed. Suspect any impact on developing the freshmen other than Nurse (no impact, as she wouldn't have been there anyway) is being more than offset by the recruiting advantages of being the USA coach.

With the NCAA rules that were enacted in 2012, a team is only allowed a certain number of days of practice prior to the first game - and there are a lot of mandated off-days if a team starts practice on the first permissible day. If UConn started a week late, they could still have practiced the maximum number of days. A number of teams don't start on the first permissible day.

Reaction Score
How do you know what Gabby would have done since she didn't get the chance. I didn't know you were clairvoyant.
I have the solution to this conundrum. Immediately after the first overtime ended, Geno should have called a "Mulligan" and replayed the overtime with Gabby inserted. :)

Reaction Score
Well we can agree to disagree. I respect your opinion. But I don't see what Geno has done as "a problem" I remember as kid - I envied UCLA. Do you remember Bill Walton's great game I think vs Lousiville in the Finals? It was perfection. Now I ahve it here. I see teams that beat us - the same way teams way back then would do when they beat UCLA. I don't see that as a problem at all. Further when we lose- there is no such thing as a blowout. Teams have to fight and claw - as a gerenal rule - to beat UCONN. SO I don't see "the problem here."
I remembered Memphis as the opponent, and I'm too lazy to look it up. I'm not concerned about a loss either... I just think that in the long run it would have been a benefit for the other frosh to have seen that level of competition. Maybe one of them would have been a nice surprise.

Reaction Score
Point taken ... just idle speculation ... though painting Geno into some "no win" corner is about as believable as this wheezing sixty-eight year old grandmother of six pole dancing on the Jerry Springer Show!
LMAO! Post of the day, hands down!

Reaction Score
I have been a follower of this team for a long time. Historically, Geno doesn't play freshmen a lot at the start of a season unless: they are extraordinary, or he has no other option. By the end of the season, the best players see the most minutes - regardless of class.

Geno doesn't like to lose, but he isn't afraid to lose. Especially in early OOC games.

Let's remember that there is a huge gaping hole in the lineup - two, in fact.. Two All Americans - who were the unquestioned vocal and emotional leaders of the team last year - have graduated. Kaleena, Breanna and Moriah did not have to fill this role last year. There is no experience on that front. While Saniya and Kiah saw more minutes last year than did Morgan, they have limited experience in playing big minutes in big games.

We have players coming back from injuries - Morgan and Gabby. We have another freshman that did not play basketball her senior year so is out of "competition" practice.

There are a lot of unusual dynamics at play that we haven't seen in a while. It amazes me how so many people expect UConn to pick up where they left off last year without missing a beat. This is a very different team than last year - in experience, in personality, in leadership.

There is a lot of growing to be done this season. And, there will be some growing pains along the way. It will be a fascinating season watching how this team evolves. And there may be more games where the question is not how much will UConn win by, but WILL UConn win than we have had in quite a while. I am fine with that. I am aware that others are not okay with that and may take issue with the fact that I am not all that bothered by the loss. Happily, I don't give a crap about that.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
If he played Gabby it would have to be at a post position where she has practiced. It is also the area where the team needs help desperately.
Stokes had a really poor game. She was not only able to control the boards but was unable to set the screens that Stewie and KML needed and that Stef set so successfully last year. My guess is that Morgan and Gabby will get more minutes in the post unless Kiah plays much better. All the guards getting beat on defense will be remedied by working on rotation on defense in practice. The defense will get better but if the post play doesn't improve it will be difficult to win the competitive games. And, oh by the way. Geno blew it by not fouling when up 3 with 11.7 seconds to go.

But is only one game in November so RELAX
Jon- I'm relaxed. I was responding to above posters saying we blew the game because Geno didn't play Gabby Williams. I agree that Tuck may be starting over Stokes soon enough. Gabby will play when Geno feels she's ready. The game was blown 10 times. Stokes tossing the 20 ft shot with 20 secs on the clock. 3-4 3 secs calls, chgs called on UConn when defender was in the box, KML taking chg just outside the box/ and getting called for block. Stewie block with a canton foul. Same on Nurse's 4th foul- perfect defense and Orrange goes to the line. If Moriah stays with Orrange, Samuelson was already doubled. Fouling gives the chance to drain the first shoy- throw a brick on the second , get a long rebound and hit a two or get fouled. They were in the bonus. No brainier if they weren't in the bonus. It was a fun game though!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UConnChapette said:
I have been a follower of this team for a long time. Historically, Geno doesn't play freshmen a lot at the start of a season unless: they are extraordinary, or he has no other option. By the end of the season, the best players see the most minutes - regardless of class.

Geno doesn't like to lose, but he isn't afraid to lose. Especially in early OOC games.

Let's remember that there is a huge gaping hole in the lineup - two, in fact.. Two All Americans - who were the unquestioned vocal and emotional leaders of the team last year - have graduated. Kaleena, Breanna and Moriah did not have to fill this role last year. There is no experience on that front. While Saniya and Kiah saw more minutes last year than did Morgan, they have limited experience in playing big minutes in big games.

We have players coming back from injuries - Morgan and Gabby. We have another freshman that did not play basketball her senior year so is out of "competition" practice.

There are a lot of unusual dynamics at play that we haven't seen in a while. It amazes me how so many people expect UConn to pick up where they left off last year without missing a beat. This is a very different team than last year - in experience, in personality, in leadership.

There is a lot of growing to be done this season. And, there will be some growing pains along the way. It will be a fascinating season watching how this team evolves. And there may be more games where the question is not how much will UConn win by, but WILL UConn win than we have had in quite a while. I am fine with that. I am aware that others are not okay with that and may take issue with the fact that I am not all that bothered by the loss. Happily, I don't give a crap about that.

I'm starting to really like you Chappy

Reaction Score
UOTE="Geno-ista, post: 1133560, member: 3581"]Jon- I'm relaxed. I was responding to above posters saying we blew the game because Geno didn't play Gabby Williams. I agree that Tuck may be starting over Stokes soon enough. Gabby will play when Geno feels she's ready. The game was blown 10 times. Stokes tossing the 20 ft shot with 20 secs on the clock. 3-4 3 secs calls, chgs called on UConn when defender was in the box, KML taking chg just outside the box/ and getting called for block. Stewie block with a canton foul. Same on Nurse's 4th foul- perfect defense and Orrange goes to the line. If Moriah stays with Orrange, Samuelson was already doubled. Fouling gives the chance to drain the first shoy- throw a brick on the second , get a long rebound and hit a two or get fouled. They were in the bonus. No brainier if they weren't in the bonus. It was a fun game though![/QUOTE]
Tuck won't start over kiah for the fact we need rebounding and her defense present. Tuck can start tho she is an all around player my thing with her is she doesn't get off the ground much. Also kiah didn't play that bad just made a couple bonehead plays

Reaction Score
So on the Men's board some are just unnecessarily bashing the women's game but over here we have people who think they know more about coaching major D1 women's basketball than Geno....interesting place The Boneyard is...interesting place.

Instead of the Boneyard we should call this the "Lemon Tree"

lemon.jpg

Reaction Score
I don;t agree the points made - especially practice - "are tired." To me they are spot on. Thus if you disagree with that basic premise then we have an issue how the game should be played, who should play, in which we'll never agree. So every time I ic we coulddon't see Gabby on the court "I know" it's because she isn't getting it done in practice and it's imo the right answer that warrants her lack of time.

The logic: if you want to play then have great practices. How convenient. By this logic we could have a different team on the floor every game as players try to outdo each other. I'm not questioning the coaching decision; however, were I to be a recruit ranking outside the top 5 I would question coming to Uconn. My point is not whether player A or B should get in the game- when, how and why; as it is when do we play our freshmen. Bria started out of necessity- would she had been better off sitting? Chong's defense is glaringly poor, was it why she sat last year? Would it have helped her to be on the court last year. Now she will have to correct it why playing or sit in favor of Kia.

Reaction Score
I think it is unfortunate that we all used Gabby's not playing to raise different concerns. I have always been uncomfortable about good players sitting. I really don't know who is or not ready to play- that is a most complicated question that I cannot answer from my desk. Indeed, we gained more about the team then we would, perhaps, if Chong or Kiah or another was send to the bench in favor of Freshman X. Nurse fouled out in 20 mins. Wow! Clearly not good for a guard with her summer experience. Perhaps it shows the lack of knowledge about the Uconn system. My beef is that people can get lost on a bench then come a new class and suddenly the whole is more about psy then abilities. Banks left, according to the rumors here, because of playing time. I doubt that she was pushed out, but it is possible that she lost confidence in her abilities from sitting (plus injuries) and feeling like a spectator with the uniform on. JMHO. S

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Bottom line is that a coach can only play players who can follow scouting reports and make the best decisions. Noone else but the coaches can decide who that is.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I think it is unfortunate that we all used Gabby's not playing to raise different concerns. I have always been uncomfortable about good players sitting. I really don't know who is or not ready to play- that is a most complicated question that I cannot answer from my desk. Indeed, we gained more about the team then we would, perhaps, if Chong or Kiah or another was send to the bench in favor of Freshman X.

Before we judge on who plays and who does not, I would suggest attending all practices. That way, one has a much better perspective on why some sit and others don't.

Nurse fouled out in 20 mins. Wow! Clearly not good for a guard with her summer experience. Perhaps it shows the lack of knowledge about the Uconn system.

International games are called differently than US games. Additionally, adjusting to how each game is called is something that all players, especially those from other countries, have to learn. That can only be done during the game. Kia will be watching a lot of that tape, I assure you.

My beef is that people can get lost on a bench then come a new class and suddenly the whole is more about psy then abilities. Banks left, according to the rumors here, because of playing time. I doubt that she was pushed out, but it is possible that she lost confidence in her abilities from sitting (plus injuries) and feeling like a spectator with the uniform on. JMHO. S

Actually, quoting rumors to support a statement is suspect. We don't know exactly why Brianna left, AND thinking that it may be because of playing time is clearly not the case because we really could have used her skills and experience in Monday's game. That said, all recruits who come to UConn know that they have to earn their time on the floor, and that time is earned in practice. And this is said time and again, and honestly it flummoxes me that time and again folks don't comprehend this practice that is as old at UConn as Geno has been coach.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is that a coach can only play players who can follow scouting reports and make the best decisions. Noone else but the coaches can decide who that is.
So who was it that did that against Stanford?

Reaction Score
...Nurse fouled out in 20 mins. Wow! Clearly not good for a guard with her summer experience. Perhaps it shows the lack of knowledge about the Uconn system.... JMHO. S

Wow, Now it's all Nurse's fault!?
That's awesome.
Maybe you missed her trying to do something about players running thru the Huskies like a sieve. She put her body on the line to stop what no one else seemed capable or able to do.
Trying to stop five opposing players virtually by your self is impossible to do without fouling out. Have you ever played the game?

Reaction Score
Doesn't Canada have slightly different rules from the US in basketball. I really like Kia Nurse, she is going to be a good one.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Doesn't Canada have slightly different rules from the US in basketball. I really like Kia Nurse, she is going to be a good one.

I heard that somewhere....something about international ball called differently.... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom