Gabby Williams | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
CaliHuskyFan said:
Do you perceive that as a problem? Do you not want to see the board and fan base grow? I can't see much advantage of an insular posting community. I say, "welcome Uconn fans and new posters! Bring on intelligent differences of opinions and positive fan support. Go Huskies!

It was merely an observation as there were in fact a lot of people posting after this loss then we have seen after any win. The idea that this may be a problem originated from you

Reaction Score
We were up by 9 early in the 1st half. You mean to say he couldn't chance playing a top recruit for 30 seconds? Maybe we should get used to walkons. It was the 2nd game of the year, not the national championship. You're either building for the tournament or you're not. We're apparently not building.

Find it hard to believe that you think the coach with the most NCAA Championships ever is not trying to build his team for the tournament. I think he knows what he is doing...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
uconnfan68 said:
I think part of Geno's problem is that his expectations are just too damn high. This isn't the world championship national team, and you aren't even playing a league game, let alone an NCAA tourney game. You are playing for EXPERIENCE against a good opponent. This was a lost opportunity in my opinion.

Geno's expectations are too high? hello pot, this is kettle...

Reaction Score
Realize that ship has sailed but couldn't help wondering had Banks stayed for her Senior year would she have made any difference re. Stanford's guards easy penetration to the basket?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Realize that ship has sailed but couldn't help wondering had Banks stayed for her Senior year would she have made any difference re. Stanford's guards easy penetration to the basket?
Banks saw the future, and it didn't include significant playing time for her. Eventually, the freshmen will be worked into the rotation.

Let me add, posters are creating a "no win" situation for Geno. If he plays the freshmen and UConn loses, Geno is accused of throwing the freshmen to the wolves. It was not worth risking the fragile freshmen for one game. It was also worthwhile to place the starters (and two subs) into that situation as a learning experience.

That being said, Geno was one foul on Stokes away from having to insert one of the freshmen in to the game at a very critical juncture.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That is a really foolish statement because my main point was that neither you or Geno have ANY idea if she could have made a difference because she never played.
Well that's an even stupider statement. I'm pretty sure Geno has a decent idea of all the players capabilities after working with them in practice for the last month.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We were up by 9 early in the 1st half. You mean to say he couldn't chance playing a top recruit for 30 seconds? Maybe we should get used to walkons. It was the 2nd game of the year, not the national championship. You're either building for the tournament or you're not. We're apparently not building.
Wow I believe your posts are getting dumber and dumber as you go along.

I think part of Geno's problem is that his expectations are just too damn high.
Yep, I was right. :eek:

Reaction Score
Banks saw the future, and it didn't include significant playing time for her. Eventually, the freshmen will be worked into the rotation.

Let me add, posters are creating a "no win" situation for Geno. If he plays the freshmen and UConn loses, Geno is accused of throwing the freshmen to the wolves. It was not worth risking the fragile freshmen for one game. It was also worthwhile to place the starters (and two subs) into that situation as a learning experience.

That being said, Geno was one foul on Stokes away from having to insert one of the freshmen in to the game at a very critical juncture.
Point taken ... just idle speculation ... though painting Geno into some "no win" corner is about as believable as this wheezing sixty-eight year old grandmother of six pole dancing on the Jerry Springer Show!

Reaction Score
I'm curious, does anyone think that Geno's coaching of the Olympic team has hurt the Uconn team as far as developing the freshmen?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

You know this how? Where has it been said that Banks transferred because she didn't think she could beat out the freshmen for playing time? BTW, do you think Banks would have played against Stanford Monday night? I do.

Reaction Score
I'm curious, does anyone think that Geno's coaching of the Olympic team has hurt the Uconn team as far as developing the freshmen?
Not for Kia Nurse she was developing with the Canadian National Team! Sadie jumped leaps with individual skills but not within a team as talented as UCONN. Same can be said for Courtney who took her SR year off just to work with Dad on individual skills. Gabby was rehabbing even as she got to Storrs so Geno's US duties have got nothing to do with the Frosh easing into Prime-time readiness.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Point taken ... just idle speculation ... though painting Geno into some "no win" corner is about as believable as this wheezing sixty-eight year old grandmother of six pole dancing on the Jerry Springer Show!
:D

I think we've found your name for your "Custom Title" (below the avatar) - Pole Dancer or if it fits, Pole Dancing Grandmother.

Love it Ellie. :cool:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UConnCat said:
You know this how? Where has it been said that Banks transferred because she didn't think she could beat out the freshmen for playing time? BTW, do you think Banks would have played against Stanford Monday night? I do.

Absolutely she would play! she's a slasher and able to create her own shot, and she is fast as hell

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Why do you think Banks went to Penn State?

Yes, if Banks were still on the team, she would have definitely helped. I'm not sure how much Geno would have used her, given how little she played at the end of last year.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So on the Men's board some are just unnecessarily bashing the women's game but over here we have people who think they know more about coaching major D1 women's basketball than Geno....interesting place The Boneyard is...interesting place.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If Nurse, the freshman, did not foul out she would have been on the floor for Soniya.

Nurse and Tuck each played 20 minutes and both fouled out. Clearly, neither will want a reprise of that box score line so I'm sure they will work hard to make sure it doesn't.

Important lesson learned.

We hope.

Reaction Score
They started 'official' practice 1 week later than is allowed. Suspect any impact on developing the freshmen other than Nurse (no impact, as she wouldn't have been there anyway) is being more than offset by the recruiting advantages of being the USA coach.

Reaction Score
So on the Men's board some are just unnecessarily bashing the women's game but over here we have people who think they know more about coaching major D1 women's basketball than Geno....interesting place The Boneyard is...interesting place.

Geno is not infallible and believe it or not he has bad games just like everyone else and anybody who knows the game of basketball even a little bit(Geno himself included) will tell you he had a bad game against Stanford.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Why do you think Banks went to Penn State?

Yes, if Banks were still on the team, she would have definitely helped. I'm not sure how much Geno would have used her, given how little she played at the end of last year.

Saniya and Banks were both glued to the bench at the end of last year and Saniya is now starting.

Most have assumed the issue for Banks was concern about playing time with the incoming freshmen. I've not seen that confirmed anywhere. My understanding is that there was more to her decision than future minutes on the court.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I don't care if you are John Wooden or Vince Lombardi, not every coaching decision will be correct. That does not in any way diminish Geno's many accomplishments. It makes him human, like the rest of us. Fans have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

Believe it or not, Geno puts his pants on one leg at a time, just like the rest of us.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

no

Reaction Score
Taking Chong out to play Gabby. She scored 18 pts. KML didn't get to double digits. If Geno thought it was a good thing to do to help us win, I would think he would have done it. I'm told our read & react motion offense is not the easiest thing to learn quickly. Silly fouls, poor free throw shooting, playing a quality team with a great game plan, on the other coast against an opponent with great guard play and young raw talent up front that played with a lot of heart and drained their threes and pull up jumpers, and easy lay ups to the hoop.
I don't think Gabby would have turned the tide last night. Or she would have been in I'm sure of it.

If he played Gabby it would have to be at a post position where she has practiced. It is also the area where the team needs help desperately.
Stokes had a really poor game. She was not only able to control the boards but was unable to set the screens that Stewie and KML needed and that Stef set so successfully last year. My guess is that Morgan and Gabby will get more minutes in the post unless Kiah plays much better. All the guards getting beat on defense will be remedied by working on rotation on defense in practice. The defense will get better but if the post play doesn't improve it will be difficult to win the competitive games. And, oh by the way. Geno blew it by not fouling when up 3 with 11.7 seconds to go.

But is only one game in November so RELAX

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't care if you are John Wooden or Vince Lombardi, not every coaching decision will be correct. That does not in any way diminish Geno's many accomplishments. It makes him human, like the rest of us. Fans have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

Believe it or not, Geno puts his pants on one leg at a time, just like the rest of us.
But those are much nicer (tailored, $$$) pants. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34