Gabby Williams | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
and a bad move imho... all of the freshmen should have been playing... just for the experience down the road.

If they don't practice well they don't play. Don't expect any exceptions to that at this juncture of the GA era.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I was interested in who Geno would have put in, had another player fouled out? Especially if Kiah Stokes fouled out.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
No, not in this case. Put newbies in when the game is on the line? Bad idea from the standpoint of what it could do mentally to the freshmen. Better to leave the upperclassmen in

Reaction Score
No, not in this case. Put newbies in when the game is on the line? Bad idea from the standpoint of what it could do mentally to the freshmen. Better to leave the upperclassmen in
A minute or 2 early, and if they play well, maybe more? It will kill us if we have to play 7 deep all year. The ones out there didn't sparkle all night.

Reaction Score
Are you saying that in a close game like this, in a hostile environment, against a good team that's on a roll, you would go with an inexperienced, unproven freshman to help pull you out? Really?
no one said put them in with a minute left in OT...

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
A minute or 2 early, and if they play well, maybe more? It will kill us if we have to play 7 deep all year. The ones out there didn't sparkle all night.

Your going to project what's going to happen for the rest of the season after a lossin the2nd game? :eek:

Reaction Score
Your going to project what's going to happen for the rest of the season after a lossin the2nd game? :eek:
I'm not the one saying to only play 7. I'm saying we're screwed if we have to. This game wasn't the national championship, but the atmosphere was up there, and the young kids need to feel that. It could play huge dividends down the road, but it's a moot point now.

Reaction Score
I agree. Not much to be pleasantly surprised with except for Nurse. She's going to be good.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
By comparison, Stanford played 5 sophomores and a Freshman, while using nine different players. Evidently, Tara felt more comfortable using her bench than Geno did.

Reaction Score
By comparison, Stanford played 5 sophomores and a Freshman, while using nine different players. Evidently, Tara felt more comfortable using her bench than Geno did.
Tara also hasn't won a title in 20 years, so I'm willing to give Geno the benefit of the doubt at this point. With 9 titles under his belt, he must have some idea what he's doing out there. This was not the time to get freshmen experience. If they were getting blown out, then sure, go for it, but not in a game that was winnable.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Many of those sophomores had significant experience last year.

Reaction Score
I actually think this would have been a good situation to use Williams. As one poster mentioned, not in overtime or the last few minutes of regulation, but when getting beat to the hoop by quickness and guard strength and when being outrebounded across the board, I would think a couple minutes wouldn't hurt. With that said, I've seen her play once and the coaching staff has seen an entire preseason of her. I'd like to say that there must have been a good reason only seven players got time, but I'm inclined to believe it's just Geno's style. Either way, it can't be a good sign that only one out of four highly regarded freshman sees minutes when they are all guards, the position that UConn was sorely outplayed in tonight. Hopefully that will change over the next month or so because this team needs to be deeper than other UConn groups in recent memory.

Reaction Score
Well, this game has certainly brought the posters out of the woodwork. Lots of unfamiliar names posting now. Here's hoping they stay active.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Either way, it can't be a good sign that only one out of four highly regarded freshman sees minutes when they are all guards, the position that UConn was sorely outplayed in tonight.

Ekmark really isn't a guard and Williams isn't being used as one. By all accounts Edwards isn't ready to use in a game like that. It's a weird situation when most of your tougher games are the beginning of the season. No way to ease the freshmen into things against weaker competition.

The Notre Dame game will be real interesting.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
perspective -- this makes the whole bssketball season potentially more interesting and exciting to everyone except UConn. hopefully translates into more viewers, game attendance, etc.

Reaction Score
UCONN?Geno played the kids he should have played. Most of the season we'll blow out teams in our league so the players won't get worn out. They just needed to play better.

Putting in players not ready - in 1-2 minutes you can cause 9+ points and cause foul trouble for the bigs.

Reaction Score
and a bad move imho... all of the freshmen should have been playing... just for the experience down the road.

th

HGN

Reaction Score
Geno played only one(1) Freshman............The one that had BIG game international experience and poise under BIG game conditions. The other 3 freshmen will get their chance down the road. He would have played Gabby , I think , if the situation had left him no choice. But he didn't want to put them in where their in-experience could have been exploited even more by the bigger and more experienced Stanford players.

I know freshmen have to learn and get game experience , but there will be better circumstances to do that than in a very tight contest as we saw last night.

JMHO

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I've seen nothing from Gabby Williams so far that suggests she was ready for a game like last night's. Putting kids in situations they're not ready for doesn't help the players or the team.

She's a great athlete with a lot of skill, but she's also coming off 2 ACL surgeries and has a lot of catching up to do on top of adjusting to the college game. I see a role for her in March and April but not this soon after all she's been through.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Playing a lot of people and combinations yesterday was not going to help the team long term. Even the starting five are getting used to playing together as a unit. That was obvious in the game. Adding two more players into the mix was enough of a challenge. Maybe one more would have been possible but no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom