G David Beatty | Page 8 | The Boneyard

G David Beatty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm one on this one that isn't worried. Either way it's ok. Heck we may be better with a solid wing who has 3 years or so in the program we will be deep enough to go that direction. If he wants Cal that's fine. He was at one time a starry eyed kid who loved the Huskies and now he sees the same crap as the others from Cal and K. Whatever, lets a get the guy who wants to be the next Ray. Rip etc etc.. doesn't matter who it is we will be fine.
I'm with you on this. Rarely does 1 recruit, especially one who is probably a one and done, going to make the ultimate difference. If he was the 1 piece that was going to put UConn over the top then I wouldn't be thinking like this but I don't think Diallo for 1 year is going to do that. UConn has plenty of good pieces and we'll get someone good at that position anyway. I'm just not worried if Diallo goes to UK.

Reaction Score
I agree as well. Its not our formula - the squid- now rat face- if they can reload every year with top 10 kids I understand why they would do it- I don't like it but I certainly understand.
If a top 10 center was the difference in 2017 I'd say lets go get him!
In a way I wonder if Uk fans/Dook fans are missing out on one of the best parts of the college game-watching a team grow- getting to know your players and really have more of a connection to them. NCs are awesome-getting them by raking in the best players still counts but ours have been special.
That said I'll take a few more top 10 classes and if KO wants to put together a top 5 class next year I will find a way to live with it.

DOOMED!!!

Reaction Score
Everything I've heard from people in the know is that Diallo likely isn't coming to UConn, so let's not get too attached to that. Everything else discussed above though is totally plausible and exciting to think about. I really hope MAL is the shining star of the class because Ollie's system really shines when there are multiple elite ball handlers, and we have never had 3, let's see how far we can take it.

You need new people in the know. Ollie made sure to attend every single one of Hami's games at Peach Jam, going 4 deep on some occasions. He would not waste that much important time unless he knew that he had a very very good chance of landing Diallo. I'm not saying Diallo is a lock but between Oz saying Diallo is a lock, Ollie being at everyone of his games at peach Jam, and the fact that Diallo said himself (albeit before he blew up) that if he were to commit it would most likely be to UCONN, to say Diallo is likely not coming to UCONN just defies logic. I'm not hating on you, I'm just hating on your sources :)

Reaction Score
You need new people in the know. Ollie made sure to attend every single one of Hami's games at Peach Jam, going 4 deep on some occasions. He would not waste that much important time unless he knew that he had a very very good chance of landing Diallo. I'm not saying Diallo is a lock but between Oz saying Diallo is a lock, Ollie being at everyone of his games at peach Jam, and the fact that Diallo said himself (albeit before he blew up) that if he were to commit it would most likely be to UCONN, to say Diallo is likely not coming to UCONN just defies logic. I'm not hating on you, I'm just hating on your sources :)
You very well could be right, and I hope you are right. Because I'd love for Diallo to commit here. But only acknowledging the facts and people who support your argument, while ignoring the information that would seem to suggest he could end up at UK doesn't make your argument more sound

Reaction Score
You very well could be right, and I hope you are right. Because I'd love for Diallo to commit here. But only acknowledging the facts and people who support your argument, while ignoring the information that would seem to suggest he could end up at UK doesn't make your argument more sound

I mean if he loved UConn so much why isn't it a done deal? Is he the type who waited to see if the big guys would finally see the immense talent?

Either way, to me it looks like he's very unsure of his future and if someone of value and impact in his position wants to come here do not hesitate just take the kid who wants to be here for sure. I am still wondering why people believe he will be a one and done - continuous signs of weak shooting ability make me believe he has a ways to go. There may be better UConn fits out there any way.

Reaction Score
I mean if he loved UConn so much why isn't it a done deal? Is he the type who waited to see if the big guys would finally see the immense talent?

Either way, to me it looks like he's very unsure of his future and if someone of value and impact in his position wants to come here do not hesitate just take the kid who wants to be here for sure. I am still wondering why people believe he will be a one and done - continuous signs of weak shooting ability make me believe he has a ways to go. There may be better UConn fits out there any way.

To me, Diallo gives off the same vibes as Rudy Gay. Not so much in style of play or anything like that, but I just get the sense that he's going to figure it all out and everything will come together for him to be an NBA level player - I'm just not sure if that will be his freshman year, or even in college at all. It'd be a whole lot more fun to watch him try to reach that level in a huskies jersey though

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say Diallo is unsure of his future. In interviews, he seems to know what he is doing. He isn't giving anything away. At the very least, interest from Kentucky means he rises in the rankings.

There's a correlation between your ESPN ranking and the NBA draft.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I've asked Hami to tease UConn fans, Coach K and the squid! Then when everyone thinks he's heading to Duke or Kentucky he puts on the UConn hat. And @Paesano will finally feel good!

pj

Reaction Score
There's a correlation between your ESPN ranking and the NBA draft.

Correlation, but not causality. Manipulation of rankings by feigning interest in UK isn't going to improve his draft position. Did Malik Newman help his NBA draft position by all his social media and UK activity before he headed off to Mississippi State?

Reaction Score
Correlation, but not causality. Manipulation of rankings by feigning interest in UK isn't going to improve his draft position. Did Malik Newman help his NBA draft position by all his social media and UK activity before he headed off to Mississippi State?

Or Skal Labissierre.

There's a correlation only insofar as those highly ranked dudes tend to be the best prospects. If a top 10 recruit is a complete bum once he gets to college no GM is going to give a damn what his ranking was.

pj

Reaction Score
Or Skal Labissierre.

There's a correlation only insofar as those highly ranked dudes tend to be the best prospects. If a top 10 recruit is a complete bum once he gets to college no GM is going to give a damn what his ranking was.

Yes. Being "hot" in media only matters if NBA execs are incapable of evaluating players themselves. But NBA teams are pretty good evaluators. A little publicity, or a history a year or two earlier of recruiting interest from Calipari, is not going to change their draft decisions.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Skal was a complete scrub. He still got drafted in the first round. In reality the top ten recruits all have immense potential, so NBA teams will take a chance on them.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Yea I'd say despite being a massive bust he still had that "Kentucky glimmer" the entire ESPN broadcast. All the analysts knew he played like s*** all year but still acted like "he's still a top rated UK guy so some team may get a steal here!" So I'd say he still benefitted his draft stock there as opposed to somewhere else.

Reaction Score
Skal looked great last night. 16 and 6, 2/3 from 3. Maybe he just lost confidence in himself after Cal lost confidence in him.

Chriss was nowhere near draft boards in October, and went 4th after playing on a team that didn't even make the tournament. Worthy players are going to get drafted no matter where they go more often than not.

I don't think Diallo has to worry much about being drafted. Kentucky or not, he's a first round pick and his play will dictate how early he goes.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say Diallo is unsure of his future. In interviews, he seems to know what he is doing. He isn't giving anything away. At the very least, interest from Kentucky means he rises in the rankings. There's a correlation between your ESPN ranking and the NBA draft.

Sure helped the Harrison Bros /s.
For every example, there is a counter. Give GM'so a tiny bit of respect. Talent gets recognized.

Reaction Score
This has gotten a little muddier it seems.

I don't want to say I'm concerned but I am starting to get a little worried. We're after some highly sought after recruits and everything seems wide open. The saving grace is that most of the top 100 hasn't committed period.

Reaction Score
Missouri? I get Texas but Mizzou? They are happy playing in the CBI these days..

Reaction Score
Shaka with the power and glory of Texas behind him is going to be scary for a long while. He is already proving he can recruit well there, wait until he starts to really win. Wouldn't break my heart if he started smacking Duke, KU, UK and UNC around a little bit.

Reaction Score
So much for the commitment coming soon. I like Beatty a lot but he's behind MAL, Waters, and Ham to me.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I firmly believe he'd be ours if he was the first priority. He knows we want the other three more, but we'll still be in it til the very end.

Reaction Score
Perhaps KO thought he was losing traction on HD and went after Beatty hard briefly but regained confidence after USA bball/Peach Jam. Just a thought

Reaction Score
Perhaps KO thought he was losing traction on HD and went after Beatty hard briefly but regained confidence after USA bball/Peach Jam. Just a thought

for some reason someone's post of a screenshot of a message from Oz on the rivals board game me some unfounded confidence about HD after it had been waning.

regarding beatty, situations like this are tough. KO has a job to field the best possible basketball team he can, so I don't fault him for waiting on the best players, but it must sting a kid who wants to come here but knows he's not top priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom