G David Beatty | Page 7 | The Boneyard

G David Beatty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah I believe we have 5 available as of right now. I'd say MAL/Waters, 2 of Beatty/Harvey/Diallo and one of the big guys like Richards/Obiagu is possible. And I'd guess the 5th is probably someone we haven't heard of yet, just gotta sell the guards/wings that the playing time will be there even if they aren't starting immediately

Before we were back on waters i thought MAL, Harvey, Diallo and RIchards was possible, but seemed farfetched at the same time. I really love bamba, hopefully we can make the race competitive for him.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Yeah I believe we have 5 available as of right now. I'd say MAL/Waters, 2 of Beatty/Harvey/Diallo and one of the big guys like Richards/Obiagu is possible. And I'd guess the 5th is probably someone we haven't heard of yet, just gotta sell the guards/wings that the playing time will be there even if they aren't starting immediately
To put this into perspective for folks who don't follow recruiting all that closely, this is the lowest-rated possible haul from that group:

MAL (~35th best national recruit)
Beatty (~80th best national recruit)
Harvey (~35th best national recruit)
Obiagu (~35th best national recruit)

That would be one of the 5 or 6 best classes in school history. Even if we substitute Jermaine Samuels (~60th best national recruit) for Harvey, it's still an elite, all-time class by our standards.

Obviously Ollie now has to close the deal and make at least part of this a reality. But the days when many here worried about his recruiting now seem like a distant memory, don't they?

Reaction Score
To put this into perspective for folks who don't follow recruiting all that closely, this is the lowest-rated possible haul from that group:

That would be one of the 5 or 6 best classes in school history. Even if we substitute Jermaine Samuels (~60th best national recruit) for Harvey, it's still an elite, all-time class by our standards.

Obviously Ollie now has to close the deal and make at least part of this a reality. But the days when many here worried about his recruiting now seem like a distant memory, don't they?
His recruiting is trending upwards. Seemingly everyone is counting us out on Diallo, I'm not ready to wave the white flag yet. He brought in quite the haul for this upcoming season and I foresee it happening again with the 2017 class. I honestly anticipate top 10 classes to become the norm under Ollie. My guess is we land Diallo and Richards as our two big name guys for this 2017 class. I'm optimistic, and there's really no reason not to be considering KO's growth as a recruiter during his tenure as HC.

Reaction Score
His recruiting is trending upwards. Seemingly everyone is counting us out on Diallo, I'm not ready to wave the white flag yet. He brought in quite the haul for this upcoming season and I foresee it happening again with the 2017 class. I honestly anticipate top 10 classes to become the norm under Ollie. My guess is we land Diallo and Richards as our two big name guys for this 2017 class. I'm optimistic, and there's really no reason not to be considering KO's growth as a recruiter during his tenure as HC.

Are MAL, Waters, Harvey and Beatty big name guys? I can see a scenario where we land Harvey, Diallo and MAL even though we face stiff competition for each.

Reaction Score
Are MAL, Waters, Harvey and Beatty big name guys? I can see a scenario where we land Harvey, Diallo and MAL even though we face stiff competition for each.
All subjective. To me, a big name guy is a consensus 5* which I believe Hamidou and Richards are. Could be wrong, too lazy to fact check.

Reaction Score
It seems crazy to feel confident about getting a group similar to that. But then I think about each player individually and I feel like we're in good position.

Obviously things will change but it definitely seems like we should have another good class coming in

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Everything I've heard from people in the know is that Diallo likely isn't coming to UConn, so let's not get too attached to that. Everything else discussed above though is totally plausible and exciting to think about. I really hope MAL is the shining star of the class because Ollie's system really shines when there are multiple elite ball handlers, and we have never had 3, let's see how far we can take it.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
All subjective. To me, a big name guy is a consensus 5* which I believe Hamidou and Richards are. Could be wrong, too lazy to fact check.
You're right. Of the guys we're recruiting and are considered to have a very good chance at, those two are the 5-stars. Hamidou is unanimous, Richards is consensus (only one of the recruiting services has him as a 4-star, the rest have him at 5-stars).

Harvey and Obiagu are borderline 5-stars, a la Hamilton, Adams & pre-injury Durham.

Waters & MAL are high-level 4-stars who are on the fringes of a 5-star rating, like Alteriqe.

Samuels & Beatty are both solid 4-stars, like Vance or Enoch.

C

Chief00

Thanks for the recruiting analysis - once you are in the mix, closing the deal is what it is all about. It will be interesting to see how we do that this year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Everything I've heard from people in the know is that Diallo likely isn't coming to UConn, so let's not get too attached to that. Everything else discussed above though is totally plausible and exciting to think about. I really hope MAL is the shining star of the class because Ollie's system really shines when there are multiple elite ball handlers, and we have never had 3, let's see how far we can take it.
I'm hearing the exact opposite. Guess we'll see.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'm hearing the exact opposite. Guess we'll see.
enter drumroll stage left......"the plot thickens!" It would be a lot of fun to get Diallo. I don't know that it would be best for the team if he is a one-and-done, but whatever... The think is, he can fly. Just glides through the air and then keeps going with no visible reason why.

Reaction Score
You hearing we are big favorites?

On the one hand, Diallo was almost considered a closeted uconn soft-commit at some points. On the other hand we're hearing a ton of UK chatter now. Also remember Zion was pretty confident in him based on him being the only recruit the uconn athletics Twitter account followed.

It's entirely possible he wants uconn but loves the limelight--it's smart to create a brand for the NBA. It's more likely in my mind that he just isn't sure and tells people various things because he's thinking differently week by week.

We'll have to wait and see! If we can get him or any other recruit on the official visit, then it'll just be a wait and see game.

Reaction Score
I am still hearing hami to uk.

So you've heard Hamidou to UK and MAL to PC. That's okay...as long as we get Beatty and Waters. With Beatty and Waters we'll have 5 guards in 17-18 which is plenty. Adams, Gilbert, Vital, Beatty, and Waters is still one hell of a backcourt.

Reaction Score
I think Diallo is going to be hard to get. We might have a bit of an advantage being early on him and Diarra being here but the allure of KU or Duke is probably calling. The Cephalopod has probably promised him all kinds of nonsense at this point. I've thought it was a reach once UK and Duke went all in on him. Today KO was at MAL's game instead of the Peach Jam final which I think tells you where we are with Trae Young, Mo Bamba and Brandon Randolph who were in the Peach Jam final. I'm guessing Trae goes UK, Quade Green to Duke, Mo Bamba to Duke. Not sure about Randolph. So I'm guessing we are pushing for MAL, DJ Harvey, Beatty, Waters recently (maybe cause of MAL to Providence rumors), Richards and Ikey figuring those other guys above are goners anyway. Excluding Diallo who because of the early interest the staff is probably staying on him just in case.

Reaction Score
It's us and UK in the lead, cuse following close in third. It's gonna be a tough battle, but atm I think we lead.
Cuse has no shot. Ollie will lock this up in the summer. The delusion in orange land is hilarious. They will miss big in 2017.

Reaction Score
I'm one on this one that isn't worried. Either way it's ok. Heck we may be better with a solid wing who has 3 years or so in the program we will be deep enough to go that direction. If he wants Cal that's fine. He was at one time a starry eyed kid who loved the Huskies and now he sees the same crap as the others from Cal and K. Whatever, lets a get the guy who wants to be the next Ray. Rip etc etc.. doesn't matter who it is we will be fine.

Reaction Score
I'm one on this one that isn't worried. Either way it's ok. Heck we may be better with a solid wing who has 3 years or so in the program we will be deep enough to go that direction. If he wants Cal that's fine. He was at one time a starry eyed kid who loved the Huskies and now he sees the same crap as the others from Cal and K. Whatever, lets a get the guy who wants to be the next Ray. Rip etc etc.. doesn't matter who it is we will be fine.

I like your attitude.

Reaction Score
i've heard a lot of chatter of a diallo transfer out of PSA for his last year, not sure where though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom