FWIW - two team speculation (B12) | The Boneyard

FWIW - two team speculation (B12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
F - McMurphy. He claims only 3 teams are in contention for 2 spots- Cinci, Houston and BYU. If ESPN had any class or interest in its home state, they would be pushing UConn along. Instead they take our tax money and then abuse our university every chance they get. Bunch of pigs.

Reaction Score
Pretty ridiculous to think that Fox/Espn would somehow act "nicer" during the next round of negotiations if Big 12 only allowed two teams this time. If they re-negotiated the "future" deal as part of this proposed expansion, then that's a different story.

Reaction Score
"The general consensus seems to be that the Big 12 will choose to expand by two instead of four." Did somebody take a poll? Who has reached this consensus? Who else is reporting that the Big 12 will expand by 2 other than McMurphy?

Reaction Score
What is fox pushing...
The fact that ESPN uses their mediots as a proxy to advance their agenda is nothing new.
With the big east they did the same thing. Suddenly all you read about the big east was its weak position and poor media value.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is time for the state to let ESPN know there will be an extensive audit of ESPN's compliance with the the tax credit grants going back to the beginning.

Pretty much any company or industry would be a better investment for the state than ESPN has been.

I don't see Disney's CFO giving two craps who ESPN approves for the #12 team in the Big 12, but he/she will care a lot about over $100 million in special tax credits.

Reaction Score
It is time for the state to let ESPN know there will be an extensive audit of ESPN's compliance with the the tax credit grants going back to the beginning.

Pretty much any company or industry would be a better investment for the state than ESPN has been.

I don't see Disney's CFO giving two craps who ESPN approves for the #12 team in the Big 12, but he/she will care a lot about over $100 million in special tax credits.
Couldn't agree more. Its time to put an end to this.

Reaction Score

How do you know that the State has not contacted ESPN and expressed displeasure or even demanded some action? As someone who knows the DIS CFO, I can tell you that he's likely not acutely aware of the B12 issues. ESPN has a budget and a profit contribution to Disney that is budgeted and the division is expected to meet. If additional expenses are incurred, then revs must be raised to offset the expenses or cuts will be expected. The CFO could care less which school is added provided that it doesn't affect Disney's commitment to its revenue and earnings targets.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How do you know that the State has not contacted ESPN and expressed displeasure or even demanded some action? As someone who knows the DIS CFO, I can tell you that he's likely not acutely aware of the B12 issues. ESPN has a budget and a profit contribution to Disney that is budgeted and the division is expected to meet. If additional expenses are incurred, then revs must be raised to offset the expenses or cuts will be expected. The CFO could care less which school is added provided that it doesn't affect Disney's commitment to its revenue and earnings targets.

We will find out soon enough. There is really no reason for Disney not to throw Connecticut a bone, especially since other states are probably not knocking down Disney's doors with tax credits for a failing business model like ESPN.

Reaction Score
So ESPN, may be nicer the next time negotiations, if an agreement is reached that benefits them. maybe the state of CT should employ the same tactic when it comes time to renogotiate tax credits with them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pretty ridiculous to think that Fox/Espn would somehow act "nicer" during the next round of negotiations if Big 12 only allowed two teams this time. If they re-negotiated the "future" deal as part of this proposed expansion, then that's a different story.
Oh there's not a doubt in my mind that ESPN would seek to punish a conference for not bending to it's will. Of course, my vantage point here in the smoldering the remains of the B East may prejudice me just a little.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh there's not a doubt in my mind that ESPN would seek to punish a conference for not bending to it's will. Of course, my vantage point here in the smoldering the remains of the B East may prejudice me just a little.

I'd say it's a given.

The Big 12 does have a little more leverage, though, and the time between now and the expiration of the contract will likely smooth things over.

The Big East's mistake was getting chippy without a safety net. RIP.

Reaction Score
McMurphy is telling everyone who will pick up the phone exactly what ESPN would prefer the B12 do. Exactly what his personal incentive is in advancing this we may never know but it's a pretty clear agenda. They've been pretty successful influencing the ACC and now they're trying to set the direction of the B12 for the next 8 years and maybe beyond. Does the B12 trust ESPN to determine it's future or are they so fractured as not to really care?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99