Future Scheduling with B1G | The Boneyard

Future Scheduling with B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Saw this today:

Attention college football world: Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delaney thinks his best teams can beat your best teams. That's part of the reason the league announced today they would be sticking with an eight-game conference season, so each team would have an extra non-conference game, and an extra chance to help the league's champion get into a four-team playoff field.
"[The playoff selection] committee will have to look with the eye test at conferences," Delany said at Big Ten media days. "But it will also have to look at competitive results between conferences. We think going forward that this is the best way to prepare for the new postseason model."
"Delany said that the Big Ten schools serious about competing for national championships will soon have 'enhanced schedules,' meaning tougher nonconference games," writes ESPN.com Big Ten blogger Brian Bennett. "Those schools, he said, will 'not only demonstrate strength by winning Big Ten championships but also demonstrate strength relative to other conferences.'"

Hopefully that means Michigan will keep that date with us next year and maybe UConn can give some of these B1G schools a call and help them "beef up" their OOC slate. Hopefully those games will also result in us hurting those teams by beating them! This is an interesting thing though because I'll be curious to see if we start seeing better OOC games because of the new playoff thing. No more feeding off the MAC and Sun Belt for the big boys. Maybe bump it up to a schedule with BE or ACC teams.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
we should be able to seel big time programs on series with us at this point without a problem.
-rising brand name public school
-close to nyc/boston for alumni from other school
-bball games, soccer games, puck games, baseball games are all easy add ins to sweeten the pot from our end

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
we should be able to seel big time programs on series with us at this point without a problem.
-rising brand name public school
-close to nyc/boston for alumni from other school
-bball games, soccer games, puck games, baseball games are all easy add ins to sweeten the pot from our end

You do realize no one gives a who they play in soccer and baseball right? All the good hockey teams already play each other.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You do realize no one gives a **** who they play in soccer and baseball right? All the good hockey teams already play each other.
its nice extra add ons. teams do look to fill schedules with quality in other sports and uconn is great at those sports...using those sports to create relationships is a good thing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
its nice extra add ons. teams do look to fill schedules with quality in other sports and uconn is great at those sports...using those sports to create relationships is a good thing.

Basketball sure. The Big Ten barely fields baseball programs. Call me when you see two BCS schools put together a deal and soccer is mentioned.

Reaction Score
man whaler, you are just a crotchety, grumpy old man arent you? :)

Is there anything that makes you have a positive resposne?

Never mind. THis is great news for the Big East. Delaney has already made it public that he intends to expand his confernce reach into the northeast exploring bowl games in NYC.

As for scheduling arrangements, the more options and tie-ins you can get working, the better.

I'm personally, been waiting for news - any kind of news on scheduling front for football. Beyond 2013, we've got a LOT Of holes to fill in the schedule.

My hope, is that Warde's been owrking on it non-stop, and when the word of future schedules does start to come,it's going to come in big bunches. We'll see.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
man whaler, you are just a crotchety, grumpy old man arent you? :)

Is there anything that makes you have a positive resposne?

Never mind. THis is great news for the Big East. Delaney has already made it public that he intends to expand his confernce reach into the northeast exploring bowl games in NYC.

As for scheduling arrangements, the more options and tie-ins you can get working, the better.

I'm personally, been waiting for news - any kind of news on scheduling front for football. Beyond 2013, we've got a LOT Of holes to fill in the schedule.

My hope, is that Warde's been owrking on it non-stop, and when the word of future schedules does start to come,it's going to come in big bunches. We'll see.

I think the new system will help the Big East schedule because they fare better in the computers than the court of public opinion. I don't see any reason why UConn couldn't schedule some Big 10 schools. Playing Ohio State is probably a bit pointless at this time, and Michigan's schedule looks pretty full, but Penn State, Northwestern and Michigan State would all be good schools to pursue.

Soccer and baseball can't be leveraged for football scheduling. It's not negative, it's reality.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Assuming the Big East/B1G challenge continues, we already have a partnership with them in baseball.

No impact on football scheduling at all, IMO, just throwing it out there.

Reaction Score
I think the new system will help the Big East schedule because they fare better in the computers than the court of public opinion. I don't see any reason why UConn couldn't schedule some Big 10 schools. Playing Ohio State is probably a bit pointless at this time, and Michigan's schedule looks pretty full, but Penn State, Northwestern and Michigan State would all be good schools to pursue.

Soccer and baseball can't be leveraged for football scheduling. It's not negative, it's reality.

Yeah.. But you didn't address the crotchety, grumpy old man part ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah.. But you didn't address the crotchety, grumpy old man part ;)

Im younger than YCG. But more easily frustrated with nonsense than crotchety in general.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Although when you get a like from Hartford Hank.... It might be time for a deep reassessment of my beliefs.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i hope u enjoy that like from HH. take that 2 the bank u grouch! haha

we used to do the b10/be baseball challenge
be/sec bball challenge and so on. these sports playing each other develop relationships which help us reach out to familiar schools and schedule big bog fball and bball games and sync up for other stuff. other sports do help. i think i remember playing michigan in a basketball game right? remember when we saw uk in maui? was it just a coincidence that our soccer teams both went to the same tourney (USCe) as well to play each other in the fall? i can come up with more...

Reaction Score
Im younger than YCG. But more easily frustrated with nonsense than crotchety in general.

I think it's being easily frustrated with nonsense that leads to being crotchety. You might not be there yet, but you're on the verge, and that's coming from someone that's been officially crotchety for 4-5 years.

BTW i have no idea what YCG is but a google search turned up the York Colleges Guild of bellringers and i assume you don't mean that.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I think it's being easily frustrated with nonsense that leads to being crotchety. You might not be there yet, but you're on the verge, and that's coming from someone that's been officially crotchety for 4-5 years.

BTW i have no idea what YCG is but a google search turned up the York Colleges Guild of bellringers and i assume you don't mean that.

YCG is carl aka yankee ghost conf from the last board this group of fine ppl were on...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

be/sec bball challenge and so on. these sports playing each other develop relationships which help us reach out to familiar schools and schedule big bog fball and bball games and sync up for other stuff. other sports do help. i think i remember playing michigan in a basketball game right? remember when we saw uk in maui? was it just a coincidence that our soccer teams both went to the same tourney (USCe) as well to play each other in the fall? i can come up with more...

Wow. UConn and Kentucky don't set up their own games in Maui.

Umm , I said Basketball games can be used for football scheduling, UConn went to Buffalo and almost lost and played a women's game against the Bulls I think as part of a 2-1 football deal.

Yes, it was probably a coincidence that sometimes soccer teams play the same teams we play in basketball. We are talking about football anyway, UConn hasn't played Kentucky in football since they were a sacrificial lamb.

Nobody is scheduling BCS level football games with soccer, baseball or hockey in mind. If realizing that makes me a grouch, so be it.

UConn's former AD was head of the men's selection committee - the school has never lacked the ability to 'reach out to familiar schools'. It's difficult for UConn to schedule football games because they haven't been easy wins but schools don't get credit because UConn and the Big East have been underrated nationally to the level they have actually played to on the field. Connecticut also isn't attractive enough from a recruiting standpoint to make schools want to play games here.

That is why I think the playoff system can help scheduling, a SOS component that values road wins will make them a more valuable opponent. Plus it probably can't get any harder anyway.

Reaction Score

Most of us are in agreement on the importance of the OOC schedule and it's relationship to "money bowl" qualification requirements. OOC scheduling will become as cut-throat as conference raiding and abandonment. Schools, especially those from conferences perceived as "power" conferences, will schedule for their benefit and their benefit only. It's both possible and probable that good and even great programs from "other" conferences will be constantly encumbered by whatever factor/weight "Strength of Schedule" provides to big bowl formulas. I think (I hope I'm really, really wrong) the SEC, Big-10, Big-12 and PAC-12 see the Final Four as theirs by divine right and will do everything possible to maintain that "right;" past relationships be damned. College football, FBS style, has become decidedly unfriendly. Maranetto finally got it right when he retired. His lament was that' "the collegiate model is dead." Too bad it took him (and the rest of Providence) so damn long to understand the environment.

Reaction Score
Seriously Whaler11...people's opinions are not nonsense just because you don't agree.

Then again your opinions can be totally nonsensical so...disregard my previous statement and carry on.

Reaction Score
I think (I hope I'm really, really wrong) the SEC, Big-10, Big-12 and PAC-12 see the Final Four as theirs by divine right and will do everything possible to maintain that "right;" past relationships be damned.
Hey, so does the ACC. Those four conferences did earn their stripes, with the B1G, SEC and Pac-12 doing the most. The Big Eight and Southwest Conference might precede the Big 12 but at least someone won a title while playing as a member of the Big 12!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seriously Whaler11...people's opinions are not nonsense just because you don't agree.

Then again your opinions can be totally nonsensical so...disregard my previous statement and carry on.

People's opinions are nonsense when they are nonsense. BCS football games don't get scheduled because of soccer and baseball. I know people here have a warped view because our fans support sports that nobody at other schools give a damn about, but can we try and keep things based in reality?

Reaction Score
Hey, so does the ACC. Those four conferences did earn their stripes, with the B1G, SEC and Pac-12 doing the most. The Big Eight and Southwest Conference might precede the Big 12 but at least someone won a title while playing as a member of the Big 12!

"They" are selling the new playoff world by insisting that every conference and team has the same chance, on opening day, to win a spot in the playoffs or, at least, a bowl with a large payoff. Nothing, since the playoff announcement, leads me to believe the "equal access" crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom