Future of soccer... | The Boneyard

Future of soccer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It was jersey day yesterday at my daughter's upstate NY Catholic elementary school.

(She was probably the only kid there in a vintage Tyler Lorenzen UConn jersey.)

When I dropped her off, I'd say that about half of the boys I saw were wearing football jerseys and the other half were wearing Euro soccer shirts. No baseball, no basketball, no hockey - football and soccer.

Reaction Score
My nephew is 10, he wears his Chelsea jersey religiously, and apparently a lot of kids in his class follow Premiere League. its definitely growing, interest wise. I'm seeing more and more European jerseys, scarfs, and/or hats walking around NYC, airports, and while traveling. Definitely a spike over the past couple years. I remember about 5-6 years ago I'd wear a Spurs shirt and only get the occasional comment. Now someone makes a comment every time I wear it (some positive comments, some not so nice). I Don't see too many MLS jerseys tho. Hopefully that gains a bit more traction.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
While I saw the same a month ago among my elementary school kids at my school, especially the 4th graders I teach, I think we need to temper our call on this. Where we live plays a large role I'd think. Soccer is very popular in the Northeast. I'd imagine that if this same sample was taken in different parts of the country you'd have different results. Can't speak from experience and maybe Zoo can weigh in seeing how he's out in the midwest? I do agree that soccer is taking a larger hold in the country and wish that MLS would capitalize on this more then they are. However, it's a start for a sport that was laughed at by many not too long ago.

Reaction Score
I remember about 5-6 years ago I'd wear a Spurs shirt and only get the occasional comment.

Wearing a Spurs shirt around London must be like wearing a Mets shirt around NYC, a lot of sympathy for wearing the team jersey of the 'other' pro sports team in the city.

Reaction Score
While I saw the same a month ago among my elementary school kids at my school, especially the 4th graders I teach, I think we need to temper our call on this. Where we live plays a large role I'd think. Soccer is very popular in the Northeast. I'd imagine that if this same sample was taken in different parts of the country you'd have different results. Can't speak from experience and maybe Zoo can weigh in seeing how he's out in the midwest? I do agree that soccer is taking a larger hold in the country and wish that MLS would capitalize on this more then they are. However, it's a start for a sport that was laughed at by many not too long ago.

KC is an anomaly so you'll see Sporting stuff everywhere. I suspect it would be the same in Portland and maybe even Seattle. Everyone here loves the three major league teams. So you see tons of people wearing Sporting stuff. Young kids and even old fat guys. You can't travel
on any major road and not see a car with Sporting stickers, license plate holders etc.

Royals are still very big, but there is a ton of crossover and you also see some cross promotion between the Royals and SKC. The indoor team (Missouri Comets) is also pretty popular.

You will also see tons of kids wearing euro jerseys. Mainly Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelona. I also see a fair amount of kids in Germany jerseys. Soccer is huge in KC, Futsal courts in numerous places around the city, indoor in the winter, even heated fields. There really is no offseason.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The games are less than two hours, there aren't any commercials and now Fox and NBC are showing the games worth watching.

That is a huge competitive advantage in a world that lacks attention spans.

I went to a Braves/Marlins game the other night. It was incredibly boring and I was sitting a few rows from the field.

Reaction Score
I remember about 5-6 years ago I'd wear a Spurs shirt and only get the occasional comment. Now someone makes a comment every time I wear it (some positive comments, some not so nice).
With 30 goals and counting, the impressive young Harry Kane may inspire some new Tottenham supporters. Now, let's see if some despicable club tries to buy Kane from the Spurs, e.g, your probably likable nephew's poor choice Chelski.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
my friends who were baseball and football fans became soccer fans by playing fifa with soccer fans... since then they watch soccer all the time and wear the jerseys... it's growing and growing quickly because of the non stop action, the atmosphere, and it's only 90 minutes long...in the mls the sounders, timbers, and orlando have great crowds... i think the access people have of watching the games from other countries is helping tremendously

Reaction Score
my friends who were baseball and football fans became soccer fans by playing fifa with soccer fans... since then they watch soccer all the time and wear the jerseys... it's growing and growing quickly because of the non stop action, the atmosphere, and it's only 90 minutes long...in the mls the sounders, timbers, and orlando have great crowds... i think the access people have of watching the games from other countries is helping tremendously

USMNT game last week blew away the NHL playoffs in ratings. Something like 4.5 million people watched. El Clasico got 2.5 million a few weeks ago. The big EPL matches on NBC are drawing over a million.

MLS still getting between 200-300,000. But the attendance is still trending up. Ratings won't improve in MLS until the owners wake up and focus on improving the rank and file players instead of signing dinosaurs from Europe. In order to do that, they need a bigger cap and free agency.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
USMNT game last week blew away the NHL playoffs in ratings. Something like 4.5 million people watched. El Clasico got 2.5 million a few weeks ago. The big EPL matches on NBC are drawing over a million.

MLS still getting between 200-300,000. But the attendance is still trending up. Ratings won't improve in MLS until the owners wake up and focus on improving the rank and file players instead of signing dinosaurs from Europe. In order to do that, they need a bigger cap and free agency.
Yeah. The need to keep building these soccer specific stadiums. That's a huge draw for fans. Also they need to have a relegation system. I also hate the playoff system

Reaction Score
Yeah. The need to keep building these soccer specific stadiums. That's a huge draw for fans. Also they need to have a relegation system. I also hate the playoff system

MLS needs to do what college sports and the NFL do. They shouldn't decide national games so far in advance. They show many small markets on national TV because some of the small markets have huge attendance and create a good TV atmosphere. Showing lots of KC and Portland games won't really help much in ratings unless both of those teams are loaded with stars and playing well.

In regards to soccer specific stadiums, they need to be in the right place to be successful. Chicago, Dallas and Colorado can't draw flies, but they are nice stadiums. I think Dallas's stadium is closer to El Paso than Dallas (exaggerating a little here).

Reaction Score

Personally, the only thing that may turn-off the US to soccer/football is FIFA itself as Americans have little interest/patience/tolerance of geopolitics. Of course, the US has it's own, exclusive version of FIFA, and its called the NCAA.

Reaction Score
MLS needs to do what college sports and the NFL do. They shouldn't decide national games so far in advance. They show many small markets on national TV because some of the small markets have huge attendance and create a good TV atmosphere. Showing lots of KC and Portland games won't really help much in ratings unless both of those teams are loaded with stars and playing well.

In regards to soccer specific stadiums, they need to be in the right place to be successful. Chicago, Dallas and Colorado can't draw flies, but they are nice stadiums. I think Dallas's stadium is closer to El Paso than Dallas (exaggerating a little here).

I believe MLS is down to 5 teams playing in non-soccer stadiums - 1) Seattle - who doing quiet well at CenturyLink Field, 2) Atlanta - proposed expansion team in a proposed NFL stadium, not good, 3) DC United - I believe a new stadium is in the approval process, 4) NYC FC - enough said, and 5) NE Revolution - who may get a stadium in 2026 should Boston win the 2024 Summer Olympics.

Reaction Score
I believe MLS is down to 5 teams playing in non-soccer stadiums - 1) Seattle - who doing quiet well at CenturyLink Field, 2) Atlanta - proposed expansion team in a proposed NFL stadium, not good, 3) DC United - I believe a new stadium is in the approval process, 4) NYC FC - enough said, and 5) NE Revolution - who may get a stadium in 2026 should Boston win the 2024 Summer Olympics.

DC's Stadium is approved. Construction should begin soon.

So as it turns out. Century Link is kind of like the Rent. It was designed for both soccer and football with multiple uses in mind. The only problem is the turf. The Seahawks like old ratty astroturf because it makes for a faster game. Sounders just extended their agreement with Century Link and as part of the deal, the turf will be replaced more often.

Sounders fans actually like the venue since the sight lines are good, and since the league shares revenue from attendance the rest of the league likes it too. Portland plays on turf too but it actually plays really well.

Reaction Score
DC's Stadium is approved. Construction should begin soon.

So as it turns out. Century Link is kind of like the Rent. It was designed for both soccer and football with multiple uses in mind. The only problem is the turf. The Seahawks like old ratty astroturf because it makes for a faster game. Sounders just extended their agreement with Century Link and as part of the deal, the turf will be replaced more often.

Sounders fans actually like the venue since the sight lines are good, and since the league shares revenue from attendance the rest of the league likes it too. Portland plays on turf too but it actually plays really well.

Also helps that CenturyLink is in downtown Seattle, a city with a thriving downtown with public transit whose demographics appear to favor soccer, instead of out in the burbs like other American football stadiums (Dallas, New England, SF, etc.). MLS has learned its lesson there with the location of Chicago's (in a city; but no public transit, WTF!?) and Dallas' stadiums. KC's is somewhat of an outlier as it is along a suburban highway ring; but, has been doing well.

Reaction Score
Also helps that CenturyLink is in downtown Seattle, a city with a thriving downtown with public transit whose demographics appear to favor soccer, instead of out in the burbs like other American football stadiums (Dallas, New England, SF, etc.). MLS has learned its lesson there with the location of Chicago's (in a city; but no public transit, WTF!?) and Dallas' stadiums. KC's is somewhat of an outlier as it is along a suburban highway ring; but, has been doing well.

I'm told that there really isn't another good spot for a large stadium in Seattle. I just think that the really well run teams know the best locations for the cities they are in so there is not one size fits all philosophy.

Yeah KC is in a spot sort of like where the Rent is situated in CT. Only you don't have the traffic through Hartford. It's perfect for access.

I drove through Denver last year and went by Dick's Sporting Goods Park. Traffic was a nightmare.

Reaction Score
With 30 goals and counting, the impressive young Harry Kane may inspire some new Tottenham supporters. Now, let's see if some despicable club tries to buy Kane from the Spurs, e.g, your probably likable nephew's poor choice Chelski.
Even more impressive when you factor he wasn't getting regular minutes the first 4-5 games of the season. SPurs finally gave up on the Soldado experiment and went all in on Harry. I;d say it's paid off.

One favorable thing for Spurs, unlike Bale and Modric, is that Harry grew up a Spurs supporter and is a local kid. That gives Levy and Poch 2-3 years to get the right pieces in placce to get Tottenham as a regular in UCL. He turns 24/25 and they are still a 5th thru 7th place club with bad signings, he will go for the money. It's proven out that Spurs are a feeder for Real Madrid, so his Real tryout is off to a wonderful start.

They need to tighten up central defense, bring in a midfielder with pace who is more creative with the ball (to pair up with Ericksen) and another target up front to pair with Kane. Would love Benteke, but he's going to a top 4 side.

Reaction Score
I'm told that there really isn't another good spot for a large stadium in Seattle. I just think that the really well run teams know the best locations for the cities they are in so there is not one size fits all philosophy.
Land exists, but given current attendance levels and the price levels Seattle residential, commercial, and mixed-use real estate is selling ... highly unlikely MLS and the Sounders' owners are looking to fix an unbroken status.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
As the Men In Blazers said, Harry Kane is the English Jeremy Lin. Everyone is caught up in it! It's a great story!

As for soccer's popularity I truly think that the fifa soccer games have played the largest role. I can't even estimate the number of my 4th graders say they own it and play regularly. It's what got me more into soccer too. I became familiar with players and teams and started watching. I think this has really fueled the popularity of the European leagues in this country. Kids always played soccer as a rec sport but the video game introduced many to the real soccer world.

Just wish MLS would build off of this more then they have.

Reaction Score

Yeah KC is in a spot sort of like where the Rent is situated in CT. Only you don't have the traffic through Hartford. It's perfect for access.

I drove through Denver last year and went by Dick's Sporting Goods Park. Traffic was a nightmare.

I have never been to KC; but, a friend said that downtown is not a place to go, so placing the park along the suburban highway belt, especially as it has proven to draw folks in KC to Royals and Chiefs games, makes sense. I have been to downtown Denver a few times and why they did not locate the Colorado team downtown or maybe Cherry Creek, both of which are central and have public transit access instead of the far corner of the metroplex, was foolish, especially with the success that the Broncos, Rockies, and Avalanche have had. Of course, I know the reason why it was built where it was because it was cheap land as part of the Stapleton Airport and Rocky Mountain Arsenal redevelopment

Reaction Score
I have never been to KC; but, a friend said that downtown is not a place to go, so placing the park along the suburban highway belt, especially as it has proven to draw folks in KC to Royals and Chiefs games, makes sense. I have been to downtown Denver a few times and why they did not locate the Colorado team downtown or maybe Cherry Creek, both of which are central and have public transit access instead of the far corner of the metroplex, was foolish, especially with the success that the Broncos, Rockies, and Avalanche have had. Of course, I know the reason why it was built where it was because it was cheap land as part of the Stapleton Airport and Rocky Mountain Arsenal redevelopment

Downtown has the power and light district and the Sprint Center. But it's just too crowded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom