Fun interview with Prez - Daily Campus | The Boneyard

Fun interview with Prez - Daily Campus

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
She actually doesn't come across as all that much fun.

Students (and student journalists) have an axe to grind against her for their ridiculous reasons.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I like Susan, but man she talks like Trump:

", and we are very positive here and look to the future. We’ve got great stuff coming. "

"Book Center, we’re very excited about it. It is going to be fabulous. We’re thrilled about the on-campus location, the Storrs Center location and downtown Hartford, which has not had a proper bookstore in forever. So, that is going to be great. I can talk all I want – you’ll see it when you come back. And it’s gonna keep your costs down, it’s going to serve you even better. It’s going to serve the community fabulously. I think it’s a great change. "

"
That’s what you’re going to get, getting great programming."

We would love to negotiate and have a contract.

:D

Reaction Score
Students (and student journalists) have an axe to grind against her for their ridiculous reasons.
The student who wrote this piece in particular has been a long outspoken critic of Susan. In addition, he's one of the most disliked people within the student basketball fan community, and someone I also personally am not fond of.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
The student who wrote this piece in particular has been a long outspoken critic of Susan. In addition, he's one of the most disliked people within the student basketball fan community, and someone I also personally am not fond of.

I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Which goes to the editor and newspaper leadership that assigned this particular student to this story.

Reaction Score
Well, what she is selling about the B&N takeover of the bookstore is pure horse manure. I applaud UConn for even resisting this long, unlike most universities, but just wait until you see B&N's changes. It won't be long before faculty and students stop using the bookstore altogether.

The upshot of B&N taking over a campus bookstore is that soon all faculty and students will be doing their business with Amazon only. Make no mistake, the prices for used books are going to skyrocket dramatically. But this is the price you pay. The university needs to be more efficient. It can't afford to lose money on a bookstore. so the corporate takeover happens, and prices skyrocket. And then that drives people to Amazon (which is OK!) but that is not a real solution. Amazon is a catch-as-catch-can enterprise. When the used books run out, they run out! At the very least, Amazon doesn't lie to you about a book being out-of-print when the reality is that the distributor doesn't want to carry it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, what she is selling about the B&N takeover of the bookstore is pure horse manure. I applaud UConn for even resisting this long, unlike most universities, but just wait until you see B&N's changes. It won't be long before faculty and students stop using the bookstore altogether.

The upshot of B&N taking over a campus bookstore is that soon all faculty and students will be doing their business with Amazon only. Make no mistake, the prices for used books are going to skyrocket dramatically. But this is the price you pay. The university needs to be more efficient. It can't afford to lose money on a bookstore. so the corporate takeover happens, and prices skyrocket. And then that drives people to Amazon (which is OK!) but that is not a real solution. Amazon is a catch-as-catch-can enterprise. When the used books run out, they run out! At the very least, Amazon doesn't lie to you about a book being out-of-print when the reality is that the distributor doesn't want to carry it.

Amazon book rentals is amazingly good.

The best way to make money is through the McGraw-Hill connect or similar companies.

Company develops a text and puts it on a secure website. Students but a scratch off card with a code. No code, no course access. Company charges same amount every semester. No used or rental diminishing returns.

Plus the instructor can manage grades via the site.

Paper text books for 95% of all classes will be obsolete in 5-10 years.

Reaction Score

Reading the article, it seems like she's aware of that and was attempting every chance to rip him up. Ouch. For those on the outside that don't know this student journalist is a thorn in her side/the community side, she comes across as a snide b*. But hey, so long as she's delivering niceties to the b12 and keeps up the University in the face of the state budget issues, more power to her.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Which goes to the editor and newspaper leadership that assigned this particular student to this story.
If the Daily Campus is still being run the same it was when I was there, the reporter is likely the editor-in-chief.

Reaction Score
"I don't understand why students don't like Herbst" is all I hear on this board...

Well, there you go. She's a cold bee who really doesn't care about students.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
"I don't understand why students don't like Herbst" is all I hear on this board...

Well, there you go. She's a cold bee who really doesn't care about students.

No, students are immature and shortsighted. They need to stop being such babies. I attend a different university and I'd give a few of my toes to have a president as good at what they do as Herbst is.

Reaction Score
Doesn't at all disqualify me from pointing out immaturity.

Believe it or not, her "I don't have time for this crap" attitude she seemed to express towards the Daily Campus is how she dismisses general student concerns as well. She can be good at her job and still be unlikable as a person. She has a very "mommy knows best so go run and play and stop bothering me" persona that rubs students the wrong way and this article is a perfect look into that.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Believe it or not, her "I don't have time for this crap" attitude she seemed to express towards the Daily Campus is how she dismisses general student concerns as well. She can be good at her job and still be unlikable as a person. She has a very "mommy knows best so go run and play and stop bothering me" persona that rubs students the wrong way and this article is a perfect look into that.

I know her personally a lot better than you (or any dolt in the comments section of the Daily Campus) do, and in addition to her aptitude at her job, she's one of the nicest people I've met in higher ed. You don't know how good you have it. Keep whining if you want.

Reaction Score
I know her personally a lot better than you (or any dolt in the comments section of the Daily Campus) do, and in addition to her aptitude at her job, she's one of the nicest people I've met in higher ed. You don't know how good you have it. Keep whining if you want.

That's a non-sequitor. A persons character isn't defined by how they treat people they know.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So besides her demeanor what are the specific issues you would like to see addressed that you think she hasn't addressed?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
That's a non-sequitor. A persons character isn't defined by how they treat people they know.

The only thing I'll add further on this matter is that I don't really trust you to comment on her character or give what you say much validity.

Reaction Score
Fwiw:
I've met susan before in a situation where she had no reason to waste time with me. She spent a good couple minutes chatting, talking about uconn, and was very very kind.
I also have had a few run ins with the author. He's a huge huge fan of the men's team, but he does rub people the wrong way sometimes. He was also removed from the top dogs group and the folks in charge made it seem like if the group had perfect behavior they would bring up the idea with the administration of giving the students a better experience at gampel, ie making the lower bowl all the student section like at duke. His actions must have reflected poorly on the top dogs and the student section in general because they made it seem like those plans were scrapped completely. Unfortunate

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom