Fuller: UConn's Williams expanding her game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fuller: UConn's Williams expanding her game

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With Courtney I go back to the first game last year - she was first of the freshman of the bench and got significant minutes in the first half - something that suggested she was picking up the Uconn system faster than the others and the coaches liked what they were seeing - after the second game she was on the shelf for two months and never caught back up. So ... she could well come in next year in much better shape to compete for minutes. She is also more naturally a shooting guard compared to most of the other options on the bench.
Can't have enough shooters, Courtney is a shooter. There are minutes available at the backup SG position. Go Courtney go. Sorry this was supposed to be a Gabby thread.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The most shocking play of the year!:eek: From UConn vs USF (AAC Championship) - Mo leads a fast break and Gabby blows by her like she's standing still. Even Rebecca Lobo commented on it.:D:p;)

Hmmm - Jefferson starts running along the baseline and gabby starts above the free throw line - Gabby direct path to basket, Jefferson has to detour around a defender near mid court - not quite sure how you call that 'blowing past'! Oh and Moriah is dribbling the basketball. She is fast, but ...

Reaction Score
Hmmm - Jefferson starts running along the baseline and gabby starts above the free throw line - Gabby direct path to basket, Jefferson has to detour around a defender near mid court - not quite sure how you call that 'blowing past'! Oh and Moriah is dribbling the basketball. She is fast, but ...
Sorry, I guess I didn't put enough smilies in my post to convey that I was joking. Of course it wasn't a fair race, but it shows how fast Gabby is.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The "ceiling" for Gabby Williams, given her obvious athleticism, is extremely high, especially in view of her previously unanticipated transition to a new position last season...her potential was crystal clear, as was the sense that she was just "feeling" her way into things as the season progressed. I think we can safely expect a major move forward this year. In fact, in my opinion the two most improved players on the team will be Gabby and Kia Nurse, both of whom should make a classic Freshman to Sophomore leap in confidence, ability, and contribution. On that basis, I would be entirely unsurprised to see Gabby included in the starting five once the season settles in, with Butler playing a similar role off the bench (early and often) to the one Kiah Stokes played last season. There's going to be an interesting distribution of minutes, especially considering all the easily anticipated AAC blowouts, offering Geno lots of opportunities to give the three Freshman experience. All three of them are going to be good, and will earn their minutes. I predict that on an early basis, Napheesa, in particular, will prove hard to keep on the bench. Saniya will obviously get some reasonable share of minutes....but Courtney??? Hope she hangs in there.

With respect to Gabby, I do agree that she is a unique talent. Explosiveness is the word most often used to describe and it is apt. She has incredible instincts for the ball and a soft touch off the glass. She also brings such great energy when she enters the game. Last year it was clear however that she's not a natural outside shooter and it remains to be seen how much her summer work pays off. Remember that last season she was coming off a significant injury. I really expect her to make a big freshman to sophomore leap.

Ultimately, however, I expect Butler to start although you certainly make an interesting case for Gabby. I just think that there's too much upside to Natalie. For one thing she will take a lot of pressure off of Stewie. She'll be super tough inside and will be a dominant rebounder. Teams won't be able to play off her like they did with Kiah. So if Natalie comes out to the free throw line and her passing skills can even approach those of Stephanie, we could actually see the offense run through her. We've lost a very good screener in Kaleena and Butler will be just the big body we need. My only concern is that she doesn't clog up the low post where Morgan needs room to work her sweet moves.

A few other thoughts. I think it's vitally important that Samuelson and Collier get lots of playing time because their contributions the following year will be critical. But of course, as heralded as they are, they will have to earn those minutes.

Courtney is a diffent matter. Her foot injury was a major setback and she never really got in sync. I think that she's a much better shooter than what we saw. She's a very smart young woman and I think she will make many adjustments now that she knows what to expect.

Saniya showed us a much better outside shot than Courtney and that she understands her role in the offense. She was more aggressive in going to the basket but her apparent lack of strength and leaping ability often prevented her from finishing. She definitely got the memo regarding her defense and we saw a big improvement during the course of the year.

In summary: Natalie starts, Gabby is first off the bench, Saniya sees more minutes than last year, Katie Lou and Napheesa also see significant playing time, Courtney is a big question mark and Stewie amazes us even more due in large part to the presence of Butler. It's going to be fascinating to see how this all plays out.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I guess I didn't put enough smilies in my post to convey that I was joking. Of course it wasn't a fair race, but it shows how fast Gabby is.:rolleyes:

No need to apologize.....that little sequence certainly did show how fast Williams is. Thanks.

Reaction Score
With respect to Gabby, I do agree that she is a unique talent. Explosiveness is the word most often used to describe and it is apt. She has incredible instincts for the ball and a soft touch off the glass. She also brings such great energy when she enters the game. Last year it was clear however that she's not a natural outside shooter and it remains to be seen how much her summer work pays off. Remember that last season she was coming off a significant injury. I really expect her to make a big freshman to sophomore leap.

Ultimately, however, I expect Butler to start although you certainly make an interesting case for Gabby. I just think that there's too much upside to Natalie. For one thing she will take a lot of pressure off of Stewie. She'll be super tough inside and will be a dominant rebounder. Teams won't be able to play off her like they did with Kiah. So if Natalie comes out to the free throw line and her passing skills can even approach those of Stephanie, we could actually see the offense run through her. We've lost a very good screener in Kaleena and Butler will be just the big body we need. My only concern is that she doesn't clog up the low post where Morgan needs room to work her sweet moves.

A few other thoughts. I think it's vitally important that Samuelson and Collier get lots of playing time because their contributions the following year will be critical. But of course, as heralded as they are, they will have to earn those minutes.

Courtney is a diffent matter. Her foot injury was a major setback and she never really got in sync. I think that she's a much better shooter than what we saw. She's a very smart young woman and I think she will make many adjustments now that she knows what to expect.

Saniya showed us a much better outside shot than Courtney and that she understands her role in the offense. She was more aggressive in going to the basket but her apparent lack of strength and leaping ability often prevented her from finishing. She definitely got the memo regarding her defense and we saw a big improvement during the course of the year.

In summary: Natalie starts, Gabby is first off the bench, Saniya sees more minutes than last year, Katie Lou and Napheesa also see significant playing time, Courtney is a big question mark and Stewie amazes us even more due in large part to the presence of Butler. It's going to be fascinating to see how this all plays out.
Lots of good points. Really, we all probably make too much of the issue of who starts. In the case of Gabby vs. Natalie, my guess is that barring injury to either, their cumulative minutes by season's end will be almost identical. Both will contribute heavily.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Gabby is explosive, Saniya is aggressive and Courtney is smart... instincts for the ball doesn't equal "smart"?

Reaction Score
I haven't seen as much of Gabby as you all. But I'll be disappointed if she is "relegated" to the undersized PF role! She'll definitely slay that role in college, but long-term it's tough out there in the WNBA. I'm AMAZED that Alysha Clark is hanging in there with Seattle (though maybe she's developed her game more, I haven't seen her recently).

And since I'm a Cal fan, I think of one my favorite Bears, Ashley Walker. She was really unleashed as a senior and even put up 21 points (7 boards) against UConn in the Sweet 16 in '09 (including 3 of 4 from beyond the arc). But while she absolutely blossomed when utilized in more of a wing capacity, it sort of seemed too late. She was the 11th or 12th pick in the WNBA draft, bounced around from training camp to training camp for a few years, but never really found a good fit.

And one factor was that while playing overseas (where she is very successful), she's so darn good in the paint that she wasn't/isn't able to continue the development she would need in order to play more of a wing in the WNBA. I remember looking at her overseas team's stats once, and she was the starting center and by far the leading rebounder (listed at a generous 6'1" when she's really 5'11") while I think the starting 3 player was like 6'4" and even the shooting guard was taller than her, lol!

From the little I've seen, Gabby certainly has a lot of work to do in terms of tightening her handle and outside shooting, but I just think it would be awesome to see her bouncing around the perimeter.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
And since I'm a Cal fan, I think of one my favorite Bears, Ashley Walker. She was really unleashed as a senior and even put up 21 points (7 boards) against UConn in the Sweet 16 in '09 (including 3 of 4 from beyond the arc).

was that the same night Tiffany Hayes went off on Cali... guess Walker should have been working on her defense!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Fast, but not quite Jefferson fast. At least on a court. Put them on a track, who knows?

I think we remember this from last year.

Reaction Score
Gabby is explosive, Saniya is aggressive and Courtney is smart... instincts for the ball doesn't equal "smart"?
I think that you're absolutely right. Instincts for the ball does equal smart. But anticipating an opponents move, timing your jump for a rebound, positioning your body around the basket or knowing how many fakes to give on a outback are largely intuitive. Great athletes just have it and Gabby is one of them.

Reaction Score
I think that you're absolutely right. Instincts for the ball does equal smart. But anticipating an opponents move, timing your jump for a rebound, positioning your body around the basket or knowing how many fakes to give on a outback are largely intuitive. Great athletes just have it and Gabby is one of them.
Agreed....most of us who engage in lineup speculation on our Board seem to be torn as to whether it's more likely that Gabby or Natalie will emerge as the fifth starter once we're a few games into the upcoming campaign. It is exactly because of that athleticism that I predict that it's more likely to be Gabby, though both will obviously get a great deal, and, possibly, a roughly equal number of minutes. I think that Geno found a formula last year that he really likes. At first, Kiah Stokes was held out of the starting lineup due to perceived inconsistency. But even with her obvious improvement, Geno, who loves aggression and loves blowing out of the starting gate quickly, really seemed to love having his fastest and most athletic lineup out on the floor to start, then inserting the big defensive presence as needed. We'll see...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fast, but not quite Jefferson fast. At least on a court. Put them on a track, who knows?

I think we remember this from last year.

MoJett really is MoJETT.

That was before Natalie had a season of UConn conditioning. I want to see how she does in 3+ months.

Reaction Score
I believe the 3 players who are going to be looking for more playing this season will be Courtney, Saniya, and Boykin because of her injury recovery. I am sure some BYers are going to scream that I don't like Saniya but my feeling is based on what happened last season. Her performance was spotty with improvement as the season progressed. Now we have two superb freshen arriving and Gabby who is spending a summer working on her mid range shot and her ball handling. Just my thoughts...

Reaction Score
was that the same night Tiffany Hayes went off on Cali... guess Walker should have been working on her defense!

Well, she was a bit busy limiting Tina Charles to 5 points that night. But who cares about who actually guarded who and just throw inaccurate cheap shots!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Well, she was a big busy limiting Tina Charles to 5 points that night. But who cares about who actually guarded who and just throw inaccurate cheap shots!
and what she did against UConn and to Tina in 09' isnt a cheap shot?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
kat0189 - at each level as competition gets better, it is harder and harder for players to excel and that is especially true for 'tweeners'. Nina Davis who is having a fabulous college career is still going to struggle in the pros because her speed and quickness will no longer be significantly better than many players that are also three inches taller. The same fate will await Gabby as well. They both need to be deadly from 15-20 feet to carve out pro careers (and being good from 3 wouldn't hurt.)

Bgillon - Uconn is stacked at forward but not really at guard so Sanaya who has improved her defense a lot is likely too get some good minutes in relief of both Moriah and Kia, and I suspect Courtney will also get some of those minutes. Those are the four true guards on the team.

BigPetunia - I think the 'formula' last year had more to do with outside shooting than speed - KML was not noted for her speed, but she with Kia and Moriah forced teams to guard the three and opened more space for Stewart and Tuck inside (they both had 100+ assists passing out of collapsing defenses to the three wing players.) That is why I could see Geno choosing a freshman in Lou to start by mid-season if she can pick up the system and be effective from distance. If Gabby's mid-range develops quickly that is another alternative, but mid-range is where Stewart and Tuck are both very effective too, and is probably also a strength of Collier. And of course if Butler is 'as advertised' changing up from last years formula and returning to a Dolson style offense with Butler operating from high and low post is the other option in my mind. All those options have advantages and disadvantages, but boy is it going to be fun to watch this team develop!!!:cool:

Reaction Score
UcMiami - you may well be right. Since Saniya has been less than hoped for, I think one or two of the three I mentioned might supplant Saniya ( Gabby, KLS, Collier). I hope I am wrong about Saniya's progress because that means the team is even better.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Not quite the 'pedigree' but there is a forward down at Baylor that is pretty phenomenal with a similar body type and a mid range game.
Great analogy!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
But is Nina Davis faster than mojeff? What I like bout Gabby she goes half speed and takes long strives playing basketball and go all out on the track. But mojeff should of been the track star
I remember against SC she got a defense rebound and beat everyone down the court for a lay up
She sliced 2-3 players that were much farther down court than she was- and I think she was uncontested at the basket. That was a great game!!!!

Reaction Score
and what she did against UConn and to Tina in 09' isnt a cheap shot?

??? Are you accusing Ashley Walker of a cheap shot against UConn/Tina? Like the late great Whitney said, "Show me the receipts!" LOL!

Ashley Walker was great buddies with Kaili McLaren (they met at Big Man Camp) and Tina and Cal's Devanei Hampton were also great pals, hugging and goofing off before the Sweet 16 game. They have even taken vacations together and IIRC Dev hosted Tina when they watched Stanford snap UConn's win streak at Maples in 2010.

Doubt there were any cheap shots between ANY of these post players in '09, honey! ;-)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
??? Are you accusing Ashley Walker of a cheap shot against UConn/Tina? Like the late great Whitney said, "Show me the receipts!" LOL!

Ashley Walker was great buddies with Kaili McLaren (they met at Big Man Camp) and Tina and Cal's Devanei Hampton were also great pals, hugging and goofing off before the Sweet 16 game. They have even taken vacations together and IIRC Dev hosted Tina when they watched Stanford snap UConn's win streak at Maples in 2010.

Doubt there were any cheap shots between ANY of these post players in '09, honey! ;-)
images

keep in mind you started with the word "cheap shot"... follow along

the comment about cheap shot is about "our" post... not what the players did in 2009 (how she limited Tina to 5 pts isnt a cheap shot?)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
images

keep in mind you started with the word "cheap shot"... follow along

the comment about cheap shot is about "our" post... not what the players did in 2009 (how she limited Tina to 5 pts isnt a cheap shot?)

I figured as much, but your grammar suggested otherwise.

You dissed my girl Ashley Walker's game, basically out of the blue, and in doing so you cited a player she wasn't even guarding. So I corrected you with facts: she guarded Tina Charles, not Tiffany Hayes, and the defensive skills you dissed actually resulted in successfully helping to limit one of the best basketball players in the world to 5 points.

I'm sorry, but if you come for my Cal Bears, I will clap back!

Obviously it's nooot a big deal. But it was a bit rude, and rudeness "is played out like Arnold and that, 'What you talkin' bout, Willis?'" ;-P

Over and out.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I figured as much, but your grammar suggested otherwise.

You dissed my girl Ashley Walker's game, basically out of the blue, and in doing so you cited a player she wasn't even guarding. So I corrected you with facts: she guarded Tina Charles, not Tiffany Hayes, and the defensive skills you dissed actually resulted in successfully helping to limit one of the best basketball players in the world to 5 points.

I'm sorry, but if you come for my Cal Bears, I will clap back!

Obviously it's nooot a big deal. But it was a bit rude, and rudeness "is played out like Arnold and that, 'What you talkin' bout, Willis?'" ;-P

Over and out.
you said Ashley had good against UConn (is this her best game ever? you're on a UConn board boasting about a loss), I said Tiffany did better (you called my comment a "cheap shot") (I don"t care who was guarding her). U then made the "cheap shot" that Ashley held Tina to "5 points"... I then said you saying Ashley "held Tina to 5 pts" is a cheap shot.

no mention of who are friends and who took selfies together while vacationing in Utah (sarcasm, do I need a smiley face attached)
and please don't call me "honey"... you don't know me!

BTW did you enjoy the video of Tiffany vs Cal... what was the final score? and Tina scored ONLY 5 pts WOW, go Ashley

"clap back"?... knock it off, nothing to prove to me!

since you're a Christopher Wallace fan
images

Reaction Score
you said Ashley had good against UConn (is this her best game ever? you're on a UConn board boasting about a loss), I said Tiffany did better (you called my comment a "cheap shot") (I don"t care who was guarding her). U then made the "cheap shot" that Ashley held Tina to "5 points"... I then said you saying Ashley "held Tina to 5 pts" is a cheap shot.

no mention of who are friends and who took selfies together while vacationing in Utah (sarcasm, do I need a smiley face attached)
and please don't call me "honey"... you don't know me!

BTW did you enjoy the video of Tiffany vs Cal... what was the final score? and Tina scored ONLY 5 pts WOW, go Ashley

"clap back"?... knock it off, nothing to prove to me!

since you're a Christopher Wallace fan
images

lol ok let's just move on. No more shade, I promise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom