Fuller: New name emerging on UConn's recruiting wish list | The Boneyard

Fuller: New name emerging on UConn's recruiting wish list

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/08/new-name-emerging-on-uconns-recruiting.html

As expected, UConn done for 2015 and coaches thrilled with Collier, Samuelson and Boykin.

Coaches now focusing on 2016 and UConn reportedly very interested in NJ guard Jocelyn Willoughby who plays for Newark Academy. She has good size and sounds like she can play guard or wing. No surprise UConn also focused on Dangerfield, Cox, McCoy, Chou, Ionescu, Jaelyn Brown and Gondrezick also drawing interest.

From Blue Star this summer:

Jocelyn Willoughby (East Orange, NJ.) NYC IExcel 17U: Willoughby a 6-0 forward played extremely well showing that she has an all-round game she can attack from the wing or be a low post presence at both ends of the floor. Willoughby has a really strong interior game which is a nice blend of athleticism and power. She also showed that she has a nice face up attack with an effective midrange jumper that extends out to the 3pt line. The rebounding is there and with the ability to put the ball on the floor she does a great job initiating the fast break. Willoughby has a WNBA body with major DI talent and will be a force to be reckoned with in the Class of 2016.

G

genosguy

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/08/new-name-emerging-on-uconns-recruiting.html

As expected, UConn done for 2015 and coaches thrilled with Collier, Samuelson and Boykin.

Coaches now focusing on 2016 and UConn reportedly very interested in NJ guard Jocelyn Willoughby who plays for Newark Academy. She has good size and sounds like she can play guard or wing. No surprise UConn also focused on Dangerfield, Cox, McCoy, Chou, Ionescu, Jaelyn Brown and Gondrezick also drawing interest.

Jocelyn Willoughby (East Orange, NJ.) NYC IExcel 17U: Willoughby a 6-0 forward played extremely well showing that she has an all-round game she can attack from the wing or be a low post presence at both ends of the floor. Willoughby has a really strong interior game which is a nice blend of athleticism and power. She also showed that she has a nice face up attack with an effective midrange jumper that extends out to the 3pt line. The rebounding is there and with the ability to put the ball on the floor she does a great job initiating the fast break. Willoughby has a WNBA body with major DI talent and will be a force to be reckoned with in the Class of 2016.

EVERYONE WHO KNOWS WBB KNOWS THAT UCONN CAN'T RECRUIT!!!! GENO HAS LOST HIS ABILITY TO ATTRACT GOOD TO GREAT PLAYERS. GENO IS ON THE ROAD WITH USA BASKETBALL AND CAN'T RECRUIT. ALL RECRUITS DON'T WANT TO SEE SHEA, MARISSA OR CHRISTINE DAILEY--THEY WANT GENO, UCONN WILL NEVER EVER GET ANOTHER NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP---THIS IS -2009 ISN'T IT???

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Boley must have made some of her preferences even clearer than her 7 school list. I get the sense that Stanford is out and per the above sounds like UConn is out...word is that she was "waiting" on a Notre Dame offer?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Wow! Who's shouting? it certainly wouldn't be Cat!

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that Ionescu is gonna be a good one. Would be an interesting add to a UConn team.

Reaction Score
Boley must have made some of her preferences even clearer than her 7 school list. I get the sense that Stanford is out and per the above sounds like UConn is out...word is that she was "waiting" on a Notre Dame offer?
Or Fuller simply forgot to mention her in this article. Boley was originally going to make her announcement next summer but she has recently stated she now might make her choice prior to her high school season starting this fall. She has already visited each of her finalists at least once.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A few things stood out to me - Willoughby is described equal parts guard, wing, forward - at least what I read. Geno loves versatile players. Look to see her rise in the rankings. Also, a new name mentioned is Jaelyn Brown, a top 5 wing out of California (Vista Murietta to be exact). It's about 45 minutes away from me so I'd love to see her land at UCONN and I would make a trip(s) to see her play.

Anyway, UCONN is recruiting every single one of HG's top 6 players - Cox, Brown, Ioenscu, Holmes, McCoy, and Dangerfield. They must see something in Chou that I've not seen because she was very unimpressive in the U17 USA games and I watched about 4 or 5 of them.

As for Boley, she's simply not as talented as Collier or Samuelson, and in addition, UCONN is looking hard at 4 players in her same class who play a similar position, and who are also ranked higher than her. I think she'd be a great fit for Kentucky or ND...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
According to Nan's recruiting site Boley has received an offer.

Reaction Score
Agree with ericsd. I don't see Boley coming this way. Would love to get one of Cox, Holmes or McCoy along with Dangerfield. (my guess is McCoy)
It's strange but I have seen a whole lot more of the 2015 class than the 2014 class. Just increases my interest in getting to see this class finally get on the court.

Reaction Score

Willoughby plays for Newark Academy which is in Livingston NJ. My son's AAU team practiced there. I'll have to try and catch a game or two. As a sophomore, she came in fourth in a poll of the best high school players in the state of NJ and averaged 23.7 points per game. Not too shabby.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I still like Boley, but her game seems a lot like Lou's, just not quite as good. I hope Jeff gets her if we don't. I don't want her to play for Muppet.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I work at a high school and our girls team is playing Chou's team near the start of the season...I will go watch and report back.

Reaction Score
I still like Boley, but her game seems a lot like Lou's, just not quite as good. I hope Jeff gets her if we don't. I don't want her to play for Muppet.

Unfortunately that is probably where she is going to end up!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My preference for the ones we "lose" is that they are distributed among other AAC schools -- SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, Temple, etc.

Jeff and Muffett are on their own.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brown reminds me of Tiffany, but has more of a jump shot.

Reaction Score
I have heard ND or Tennessee for Boley from multiple people now. Elzy was her first big time recruiter when Elzy was at Kentucky and apparently that relationship is still quite strong (a recent article confirmed that notion).

Reaction Score
Brown reminds me of Tiffany, but has more of a jump shot.
She also reminds of Tiffany in that she needs to work on finishing with her off hand (right hand) a lot. I know she is a young player and she is going to always rely on her strong hand but Brown hardly ever finishes with her off hand(right hand). At the next level defenses will simply just overplay her left hand and force her to go right and finish. Brown is a tremendous athlete and can a little bit of everything on the floor and once she develops her right hand she will be real tough to stop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69