FSU Possibility for Big 12? | The Boneyard

FSU Possibility for Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pardon the source but dook BB report says:

"According to LandGrantGauntlet.com, while the "Big 12 honestly doesn't know what it's going to do," they may have one particular school in mind: "We don’t know what promises were made, if any, to FSU, and we don’t know if the ‘Noles can use what was said in those clandestine meetings to wiggle out of the ACC grant of rights. We can assume though, if ESPN decides to pass on an ACC network, FSU will want out and the Big 12 is their only legitimate landing spot."

Big 12 Expansion Speculation Heats Up. Could It Affect The ACC?

Reaction Score
Lol... Unless you mean Ferris St University the answer is no

Reaction Score
So FSU/UConn to the Big 12? I doubt it, but the irony of it appeals to me.
Doubt that'd happen, but FSU opening a slot in the ACC would be a great development for us. Anyone leaving the ACC would be excellent for us. Not a chance the ACC would proceed with 13 football teams and it's long known that we're next in line for the ACC with no B1G or SEC teams being realistic options. If both options were on the table, the ACC would be preferable for us over the Big 12 anyways. Say what you want about him, but Swofford is a far more competent commissioner than the entire B12 leadership, travel would be far less, football only slightly worse basketball monumentally better, old rivals, etc.

Reaction Score
Doubt that'd happen, but FSU opening a slot in the ACC would be a great development for us. Anyone leaving the ACC would be excellent for us. Not a chance the ACC would proceed with 13 football teams and it's long known that we're next in line for the ACC with no B1G or SEC teams being realistic options. If both options were on the table, the ACC would be preferable for us over the Big 12 anyways. Say what you want about him, but Swofford is a far more competent commissioner than the entire B12 leadership, travel would be far less, football only slightly worse basketball monumentally better, old rivals, etc.

Don't bet on us being a sure thing if a Clemson or FSU leaves.

I could totally see the ACC opting for Cincy to replace a "football brand."

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would say that there is zero chance of FSU (or any ACC school) moving from the ACC to the B12 without a network in place. If the B12 thinks long-term, UConn needs to be added to help launch a network. After launch (and a few more years of Swofford pressers that say things like "we are still discussing a network"), then ACC schools would become fair game.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Yup. We have been passed over by the ACC so many times that I have zero confidence of ever being invited there. My personal hope is that we are added to the B12 to help launch a network that ultimately kills that conference.

Reaction Score
Yup. We have been passed over by the ACC so many times that I have zero confidence of ever being invited there. My personal hope is that we are added to the B12 to help launch a network that ultimately kills that conference.

I've literally been dreaming about that, would be so poetic.

Reaction Score

I disagree there, Clemson/FSU were the big ones pushing against us for UL because of football branding. With one of them gone, I doubt the basketball-first schools with solid academic reputations are going to want a mid-tier academic school with a decent football team and below average following as their replacement. Don't forget U of L has a large following that UC doesn't, is in a more ripe location not already dominated by another huge and powerful football school like Ohio State. UC's logic for the B12 is in their geography relative to WVU's island, that's irrelevant with respect to the ACC. While they'd be a possibility for the ACC, I have difficulty seeing Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, UVA, and GT (listed because they're the best academic ACC schools) getting on board with a mediocre academic school with a limited football following and mediocre basketball program. Not to mention, if they're trying to get ESPN on board for a network, filling the content with UConn-SU, UConn-Pitt, UConn-Duke, and UConn-UNC basketball games is a hell of a lot more appealing to a national audience than UC playing those schools.

All of that said, I have great difficulty seeing a scenario where FSU or Clemson actually does go to the B12. Makes little sense for them, why get into bed with Texas if you don't have to? Hang around in the ACC, a good home for them, until the SEC comes calling.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is any way FSU or Clemson leaves for the B12 but I'll play along.

IF FSU or Clemson (or both) were to leave the ACC it would likely start a run by the SEC & B1G on the remaining schools. At that point the odds that UNC, UVA, Va Tech, NC St and Ga Tech being poached in some combination is probable.

In that scenario the B12 is the likely survivor & the ACC becomes the land of misfits. While it would still be an upgrade for UConn, getting into what's left of the ACC would be a lateral move. We are currently in the best of the G5 conferences. That version of the ACC would be the best of the G4 conferences as the SEC, B1G, PAC & B12 would be the P4.

Yes, it gets us back in a conference with our forming whipping boys like Cuse & Pitt but it's not the promised land that we all want for UConn

Reaction Score
From just about every perspective the ACC is the right landing place for UConn. Geography rivalries athletic priorities academics(well excepting Louviville Community College and house of ill repute). If the B12 or B10 or the Pac for that matter calls we'll be gone but the best fit would be the ACC

Reaction Score
Oh gawd....let's step back from the Alice in Wonderland set for a moment.

The Big 12, if they expand, will choose two programs from the G5 groups that are not encumbered by GOR's.

The list of probables is a short handful...it will come down to the perceived merits of UConn, Cincinnati, BYU, and maybe a couple of others.

The fantasies of the Big 12 pulling "name" football programs from a P5 are entertaining but so is Lewis Carroll.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Oh gawd....let's step back from the Alice in Wonderland set for a moment.

The Big 12, if they expand, will choose two programs from the G5 groups that are not encumbered by GOR's.

The list of probables is a short handful...it will come down to the perceived merits of UConn, Cincinnati, BYU, and maybe a couple of others.

The fantasies of the Big 12 pulling "name" football programs from a P5 are entertaining but so is Lewis Carroll.

Agreed. The only way FSU leaves the ACC is to go to a power conference that is higher up on the power food chain (read: a stable conference with a lucrative conference network). If the B12 beats the ACC in the network game, I could the B12 going after FSU, Clemson, Louisville, Miami, etc. But that's ONLY if the B12 has a network and the ACC still doesn't in 2+ years.

Reaction Score

I understand the insecurity from past actions but this makes no sense.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure the Big 12 can poach an egg let alone schools currently situated within the P5 Structure. It is a dysfunctional mess of small markets and little brother schools ruled over by an 800 lb Gorilla on steroids. Why would a school like FSU or Clemson volunteer to be a part of that? Why does anyone believe that this conference is going to be a survivor in the long game? If the answer is because they will have a TV Network, I have to ask who is going to give them one, and why?

ESPN has one real interest in The Big 12 and that interest already has a network. I highly doubt Fox has any desire to develop something either as a footprint of TX, KS, OK, IA, and WV is borderline comical. Even with UCONN and Cincy involvement I can't see how this thing would ever get off the ground. I see the conference riding out its current deal and then being divided up by the four that remain. Hopefully in that restructuring you all find a seat at the table.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the wreltneys being sported for the ACC. At best they're the P5 equivalent of Rudy getting voted "all-time center" for the the Joliet sandlot team. Sure, he was on the field but nobody really cared. Whatever Swofford's positive qualities are, strategic thinking and/or persuasive rhetoric aren't among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom